Should athletes speak out on issues?

Rush23

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/209154-...ng-with-america

I read this article and itt got me thinking. It could generate some good discussion.

Should athletes speak out on touchy/political issues? Sure they can bring attention to the matter, but is it their place? Should we value their opinion?

Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?

Gotta agree. I might have been fine enough w/ the more general question about athletes speaking out, and the value of their opinion. It is a slow enough point in the year something like this should be fine. But when you ask,

"Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?"

That goes way beyond sports and into a pure political discussion that really doesn't have any place on this board.

Wrong forum. Mods, please move.

Gotta agree. I might have been fine enough w/ the more general question about athletes speaking out, and the value of their opinion. It is a slow enough point in the year something like this should be fine. But when you ask,

"Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?"

That goes way beyond sports and into a pure political discussion that really doesn't have any place on this board.

I agree as well. if it were a simple question, should athletes speak out? That's one thing and I'm not even sure that belongs here.

They have the right to speak out just as anybody else does. They need to remember though, their opinion isnt more valuable than anyone elses. Some musicians and actors seem to think when they speak the world should listen. They also should be careful when discussing poverty issues because for the most part theyre opinion is very skewed. They also have to realize that it will change their perception to fans whether good or bad.

Per request, topic moved to water cooler. Link left in main thread so everyone knows where it went.

I think it's everyone's right to speak out on an issue if they want. In a lot of cases though, the people speaking out have no idea what they're talking about (That doesn't just go for athletes, it goes for Celebrities, Congresspeople, Fox News, etc.) and thus by speaking out it makes them look worse.

There are places where they could be very useful, and that's on issues that they know. Trent Green coming out and talking about how teams should handle recovery from concussions; excellent move. He knows that as well as anyone who isn't an M.D. If an athlete knows politics, even if I think they're wrong, then what's the problem (Heath Schuler, Lynn Swann are fine examples there).

I really could not agree more...

Athletes, or "stars" in general can say whatever they'd like. We all have the right to turn the channel or no longer buy their products if we disagree. In many cases, having the high profile spokesperson can be a huge plus. (For instance, Cutler and diabetes...) And sometimes it gets to a point of silliness and far too political... "Stars" simply speak up at their own risk.

(Leaving the second part of the original post question well enough alone...)

They have the right to speak out just as anybody else does. They need to remember though, their opinion isnt more valuable than anyone elses. Some musicians and actors seem to think when they speak the world should listen. They also should be careful when discussing poverty issues because for the most part theyre opinion is very skewed. They also have to realize that it will change their perception to fans whether good or bad.

I really could not agree more...

Athletes, or "stars" in general can say whatever they'd like. We all have the right to turn the channel or no longer buy their products if we disagree. In many cases, having the high profile spokesperson can be a huge plus. (For instance, Cutler and diabetes...) And sometimes it gets to a point of silliness and far too political... "Stars" simply speak up at their own risk.

(Leaving the second part of the original post question well enough alone...)

Generally I agree with you when it comes to more informed athletes who appear to have intelligence. For the majority of athletes, however, while they have the right of free speech, it would probably be better for everyone if the athletes just shut their effing traps. It seems that 1 out of 3 interviews with an athlete is a lesson in our school system's failures, and I'd prefer not to have to hear political opinions from someone who can't conjugate a verb correctly (looking at you Emmit Smith and Magic Johnson).