Misc news and notes

nfoligno

Got some tid bits from ESPN Chicago Blog

- Due to some injuries, Bullocks started at FS and Afalava at SS. Per the reports, both played well, which may not mean a lot in terms of starting, but is a nice sign regardless. Also reading a lot of good about Afalava, who missed OTAs due to school, but is quickly learning and making an impression.

- Jamar Williams got snaps at SLB, and may factor in the competition, which I don't think many expected. I have read Roach and Pisa have done well, but it could be that much more interesting if Williams is getting a legit look there.

- Read this little tid bit about Beekman, which I have to say, is a surprise,

This will be the last time I point out Beekman's playing with the first team, because he has far and away outperformed Frank Omiyale in camp. I freely admit to being one of those who felt Omiyale would start given his contract and the speed with which the Bears pursued him in free agency. It's not even close. To be fair, Omiyale is learning a new position in a new system, and he doesn't have much experience. I'm not writing him off, but he has a long way to go to unseat Beekman, who's had an excellent first week in Bourbonnais.

I too thought Beekman starting camp w/ the 1st string was more respect than anything, but it seems like a combo of his playing very well, w/ Omiyale not, could make our starting front a tad different from expectations.

- Mortensen was at Bears camp, and had some impressions.

- While not really new, Mort raved about Marinelli. Not new, but good to hear from a national guy like Mort. One player in particular who has seemed to stand out under the guidence of Mort has been Anderson, who is showing the burst he displayed as a rookie. Anderson always had the raw tools, but for whatever reason (our change in DL coach IMHO), his play tanked. Under Marinelli, that appears on the verge of turning around.

- Mort said, the bears staff says, Olsen is running a 4.52/40 in pads. That is incredible. Many can run fast at the combine, in shorts, on a track, but to run a 4.5/40 (at that size) in pads in incredible. Seems like every camp report I read mentions Olsen hauling in a deep pass. This could be an incredible thing to watch this year.

- Kellen Davis gets a shout out from Mort as a name to remember. Mentions his size, and I have seen several reports mentioning Davis making a grab. 6'6 Olsen paired w/ 6'7 Davis in the red zone would be something to watch.

Guest TerraTor

I have a feeling Olsen is going to produce in the way Gonzo has over the course of his career. Dont get me wrong, Im not putting them on the same level. I believe he will be the bears leading reciever for a long time, same way Tony G did with the chiefs. Our offense in my mind will focus on Forte and Olsen.

Im gotta admit I dont think Hester will ever do more than average WR in the NFL. I hope i eat my words but il never agree with taking him away from what made him a star. He won games on his own and altered many others as a KR/PR and I dont see him ever doing that as a WR.

I have a feeling Olsen is going to produce in the way Gonzo has over the course of his career. Dont get me wrong, Im not putting them on the same level. I believe he will be the bears leading reciever for a long time, same way Tony G did with the chiefs. Our offense in my mind will focus on Forte and Olsen.

Im gotta admit I dont think Hester will ever do more than average WR in the NFL. I hope i eat my words but il never agree with taking him away from what made him a star. He won games on his own and altered many others as a KR/PR and I dont see him ever doing that as a WR.

Hester is too good of a playmaker not to be at least above-average. He may not ever become a true #1, but with the way Olsen is looking, the Bears may not even need one.

I think Hester will pan out as a Bears Number one like Faulk stated on the network. More like a Willie Gault style. But I think a real Noteworthy person to talk about is Rideau. I think his time has finaly come to stick and be the true number 3 reciever. His entire body of work so far has been outstanding. I feel he may push Davis right out on the street. Kinder will likely take his place on the PS. Hester, Bennet and Rideau would make a tall physical bunch with Iglesias and knox rounding up the recievers, That is unless we keep 6 then Davis will stay.

I watched the weekly highlight film on the Bears website and I have to admit i was impressed with the way Rideau was coming off the line. It seems he finally has learned how to use his size advantage, or maybe he's finally added the strength to his frame. He's not real quick coming out of his cuts and doesn't appear fast but does appear to have sneaky speed that people underestimate. Looking forward to catching next weeks game on TV somewhere someway somehow.

Guest TerraTor
I watched the weekly highlight film on the Bears website and I have to admit i was impressed with the way Rideau was coming off the line. It seems he finally has learned how to use his size advantage, or maybe he's finally added the strength to his frame. He's not real quick coming out of his cuts and doesn't appear fast but does appear to have sneaky speed that people underestimate. Looking forward to catching next weeks game on TV somewhere someway somehow.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Its practice. Wait till the season starts to actually see him run a route to separate from an NFL corner. I hope hes decent, got good size at least.

Rideau has looked fantastic. I've been to 2 practices, the first 2, and I saw his talents right away. Now, he's starting to get more publicity. If Bennett struggles, I have no doubts that Brandon can come in and help the team.

I read somewhere (I think it was Rotoworld) that Bennett was getting some snaps in the slot, in addition to his reps at split end. It sounds like one possible scenario is that Bennett is the starting X receiver, then when we go three-wide, Bennett moves into the slot with Rideau replacing him on the outside. If Bennett can handle both positions (which is a big if,) I think that'd be our best personnel package, at least for the time being. Once Iglesias and Knox are up to speed, maybe that changes.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. Its practice. Wait till the season starts to actually see him run a route to separate from an NFL corner. I hope hes decent, got good size at least.

Not ahead of myself at all, that's why I said I want to catch the first preseason game to see for myself.

not surprised by the beekman comments...the guy was way better than people gave him credit for last year....on counters and sweeps where the guy was pulling behind the center or tackle, he was a beast last year...in fact both of our guards were pretty good maulers run blocking last year and didn't get as much credit for it as tehy should...such is the life of an NFL guard i suppose

not surprised by the beekman comments...the guy was way better than people gave him credit for last year....on counters and sweeps where the guy was pulling behind the center or tackle, he was a beast last year...in fact both of our guards were pretty good maulers run blocking last year and didn't get as much credit for it as tehy should...such is the life of an NFL guard i suppose

Preach it, brother. Finally another guy who loves Beekman.