What do you think the 53 man roster will look like

fenom283

Two Preseason games in the book the roster is starting to shape up. With Davis being a lock :blink: This is what i think the 53 man roster will look like:

QB Cutler Haine

RB Forte Jones Wolfe Peterson

FB McKie

TE Olsen Clark Davis

WR Hester Bennet DA Rideau Iglesias Davis

OT Pace Williams Shaffer

OG Beekman Garza Omiyale Buenning

C Kruetz Raiola

DE Oguleye Anderson Brown Idonjie

DT Harris Adams Harrison Gilbert

MLB Urlacher Hunter

WLB Briggs Williams

SLB Pisa Freeman

CB Tilman Vasher Graham Bowman Mcbride Moore

S Manning Afalava Payne Steltz Bullocks

P Maynard

K Gould

LS Mannely

Notable Players Missing:

Knox ends up on the Practice squad

Roach Could switch with Freeman

Gaines Hasn't done anything and Kellen Davis is Looking really good

Baldwin No space for him too deep at DE

Melton i think gets IR'ed

Toeina Depends on what we do at CB may end up making the team

Two Preseason games in the book the roster is starting to shape up. With Davis being a lock :blink: This is what i think the 53 man roster will look like:

QB Cutler Haine

RB Forte Jones Wolfe Peterson

FB McKie

TE Olsen Clark Davis

WR Hester Bennet DA Rideau Iglesias Davis

OT Pace Williams Shaffer

OG Beekman Garza Omiyale Buenning

C Kruetz Raiola

DE Oguleye Anderson Brown Idonjie

DT Harris Adams Harrison Gilbert

MLB Urlacher Hunter

WLB Briggs Williams

SLB Pisa Freeman

CB Tilman Vasher Graham Bowman Mcbride Moore

S Manning Afalava Payne Steltz Bullocks

P Maynard

K Gould

LS Mannely

Notable Players Missing:

Knox ends up on the Practice squad

Roach Could switch with Freeman

Gaines Hasn't done anything and Kellen Davis is Looking really good

Baldwin No space for him too deep at DE

Melton i think gets IR'ed

Toeina Depends on what we do at CB may end up making the team

There is no way that Knox ends up on the practice squad especially after the OTA's that he had. He is also looking better and better during the games. Contrary to the article I do not think that Rashied Davis is a lock to make this team. I agree with NFO that he has to earn the spot and it shouldn't be just given to him. So far Knox has 2 rec for 22 yards he also has returned 2 kickoffs averaging 38.5 yards per return. Davis has 3 rec for 28 yards. Sorry I am not about to give a guy a job just because he experience.

Yea, I don't know why so many are talking about Knox to the PS.

One. He had a pretty dang good set of OTAs.

Two. If you listen to the staff, he not only seems to have a spot on the roster, but has a place in the offense. The staff talks about how the plans for him differ from Bennett. Bennett was made to learn all WR positions first. Lovie has said Knox will focus on not only one WR position, but may also be limited in the plays. Basically, the staff knows they have a speed demon who may take time to develop as a well rounded WR, but want to take advantage of his field stretching ability now.

Three. Knox is often mention, and has shown positive things, in special teams. Especially w/ talk of reducing Hester role on special teams, combined w/ (a) DM's injury and (B) DM potentially being a starter on defense, I think Knox is more and more going to be looked at as a return man.

Knox may not be blowing it up in the games, but I really don't think there is a huge expectation for him to right away. If we tried to put him on the practice squad, there is little question in my mind he would be gone.

Regarding Davis, I think this 3rd game could be pretty interesting. Usually your 3rd preseason game is when you want to really start to see the offense you intend to go w/. How soon and how often Davis gets on the field may give some insight as to the staff's thoughts w/ Davis. It could be argued up to now that Davis is considered a more known commodity, and the staff wanted to get more looks at Rideau and Aromashodu, but I would think the staff would want to see the players expected to make the roster more by the 3rd game. If we begin to see less of Rideau or Aromashodu, and more of Davis, that could really give us an idea what they intend to do at WR.

I didn't mention our rookies, as IMHO, they are more locks to make the roster than any of the three mentioned above, but at the same time are stashed further down the depth chart as they are not expected to do as much as soon.

There is no way that Knox ends up on the practice squad especially after the OTA's that he had. He is also looking better and better during the games. Contrary to the article I do not think that Rashied Davis is a lock to make this team. I agree with NFO that he has to earn the spot and it shouldn't be just given to him. So far Knox has 2 rec for 22 yards he also has returned 2 kickoffs averaging 38.5 yards per return. Davis has 3 rec for 28 yards. Sorry I am not about to give a guy a job just because he experience.

Judging by comments made by Smith and Daryl Drake the last spot may come down to Davis and Rideau since the staff likes to see reserves that can contribute via special teams. All other WRs have special teams ability.Davis also has special teams ability also so Rideau needs to step up in these preseason games.

I look at Knox the same way I looked at Hanie last year. I see potential on KR/PR and on the few receptions he's had I see some very nice quick moves to get some YAC. Would I like to see more, absolutely but it's only been two preseason games. As far as Davis he hasn't done much more than Knox and given all his experience and what should be a better rapport with Hanie you'd think he'd really standout. The point here isn't that Knox has looked better than Davis at WR, rather that Knox hasn't looked that much worse. I know he bobbled that first pass from Basinez but Davis has had his share of those in games all last year.

Davis is a known commodity and at 30 years old the 5' 9" WR is not going to dramatically get better. Knox at 6' has the arrow pointing up. I know special teams play is valued with the Bears but the reality is that we have a lot of good special teams players. We also have one of the best specials teams coaches in the NFL. Players like Garrett Wolfe, Kevin Jones, and even Rashied Davis have gone from minimal contribution on special teams to standing out on coverage. I don't know his work ethic but I haven't heard of any problems with him so I don't see why Knox wouldn't end up like that. What I've seen of Knox on kick and punt returns looks better than Davis just because he has more shiftiness in his moves while Davis is just a straight ahead speed guy.

This battle gets decided in game 4 but I'm clearly in favor of Knox.

I think AP gets cut and we keep Gaines. Otherwise, not bad. Big topic; As far as Knox is concerned; he won't make it one day on the practice squad. My guess is he gets the redshirt or makes the team. I'm leaning on redshirt, as I have not seen him do too much in TC. In OTA's he was a stud in the making. I also read somewhere that he was gaining a reputation as someone that was hesitant to go over the middle. I think he's a nice prospect, but I'll take my chances with Davis over him.

This is from Chalk Talk and I happen to agree with this assessment of Davis. Mayer does have conversations and insight we are not privy to.

"In a recent “Chalk Talk” you mentioned receivers Devin Hester, Earl Bennett and Rashied Davis were roster locks. With the performance of Johnny Knox in offseason workouts, the emergence of Brandon Rideau and Devin Aromashodu in training camp and the draft position of Juaquin Iglesias, wouldn’t you say that Davis is the odd man out?

Rick

Germany

He could be the odd man out, and I’ve certainly been wrong before. But here’s why I don’t think that Rashied Davis is in jeopardy of getting cut: As I’ve mentioned before, the Bears are not going to rank all of their wide receivers and keep the best five or six. They’ll do that with their top three wideouts because those are the ones who will play most of their snaps on offense. But the fourth and fifth receivers will play primarily on special teams and therefore will be evaluated in that area of the game. To me, Rashied Davis is the best special teams player among Bears wide receivers. So I think that he’ll fill that fourth or fifth spot if he’s unable to beat out Brandon Rideau, Devin Aromashodu or someone else for the No. 3 position behind starters Devin Hester and Earl Bennett."

Everyone seems to look at this as Davis vs. Knox, but I don't see it that way. Sorry, but I believe Knox is a virtual lock. As a draft pick, and one that showed promise already in two phases of the game, I just think Knox is safer than some are making out.

IMHO, the question is whether Rideau and Aromashodu have impressed the staff as much as they have fans, and seem to have impressed Cutler. Remember last year? Nearly everyone on this board seemed to believe Rideau had earned a roster spot, and yet the staff didn't see it that way. In fact, most every year there are a couple players who become fan favorites, and then get cut.

I would argue that if Davis makes the team, it will be at the expense of Rideau or Aromashodu, not Knox. Knox is a draft pick, and that alone gives him a very big edge at a roster spot. Then you add the potential he showed in OTAs, what he has been doing on special teams, and how the staff has talked about him, and I would simply argue Knox is far more locked in than some here are thinking.

On the other hand, I think Rideau and/or Aromashodu are not nearly so secure. If Davis makes the roster, IMHO, it will come at the expense of one of these two. If I had to guess right now, I would say Rideau is the odd man out. He has been in our system the longest, but it just seems like Aromashodu has passed him.

I think AP gets cut and we keep Gaines. Otherwise, not bad. Big topic; As far as Knox is concerned; he won't make it one day on the practice squad. My guess is he gets the redshirt or makes the team. I'm leaning on redshirt, as I have not seen him do too much in TC. In OTA's he was a stud in the making. I also read somewhere that he was gaining a reputation as someone that was hesitant to go over the middle. I think he's a nice prospect, but I'll take my chances with Davis over him.

This is from Chalk Talk and I happen to agree with this assessment of Davis. Mayer does have conversations and insight we are not privy to.

"In a recent “Chalk Talk” you mentioned receivers Devin Hester, Earl Bennett and Rashied Davis were roster locks. With the performance of Johnny Knox in offseason workouts, the emergence of Brandon Rideau and Devin Aromashodu in training camp and the draft position of Juaquin Iglesias, wouldn’t you say that Davis is the odd man out?

Rick

Germany

He could be the odd man out, and I’ve certainly been wrong before. But here’s why I don’t think that Rashied Davis is in jeopardy of getting cut: As I’ve mentioned before, the Bears are not going to rank all of their wide receivers and keep the best five or six. They’ll do that with their top three wideouts because those are the ones who will play most of their snaps on offense. But the fourth and fifth receivers will play primarily on special teams and therefore will be evaluated in that area of the game. To me, Rashied Davis is the best special teams player among Bears wide receivers. So I think that he’ll fill that fourth or fifth spot if he’s unable to beat out Brandon Rideau, Devin Aromashodu or someone else for the No. 3 position behind starters Devin Hester and Earl Bennett."