Funny Thing About Our Bubble Guys...

Mongo3451

I found it interesting that most of our bubble guys on Offense helped themselves tonight.

Ridieu - TD

Gaines - TD

AP - Leads team in rushing for 2nd consecutive week and KJ goes off on a cart.

Knox - Who I previously and wrongly prognasticated, as the yearly Redshirt, made big plays.

What I failed to see was Rashied Davis. Has he locked up the 3rd spot by not playing?

Anyone think we are going to see any surprises on Defense.

With the exception of Rideau, I think a big part of that simply has to do w/ having more playing time. I say Rideau is an exception as he has gotten into games relatively early prior to this game.

AP did lead the team in rushing, but lets not pretend that 3.3 ypc avg was anything impressive. KJ going down, even if not a big deal, could give the staff pause.

Any thought of Knox not making the team should be squashed. If not for his receiving, then for his special teams play.

Just can't really see many big surprises on D. I think there may be some surprised by way of starters or playing time, but less so in who makes the team.

I found it interesting that most of our bubble guys on Offense helped themselves tonight.

Ridieu - TD

Gaines - TD

Knox - Who I previously and wrongly prognasticated, as the yearly Redshirt, made big plays.

What I failed to see was Rashied Davis. Has he locked up the 3rd spot by not playing?

Ridieu - TD

Gaines - TD

The coaches didn't play Davis tonight for some reason(he made the team or they are going to cut him) other than he is a starter.

Rideau is going to get screwed by the coaching staffs love affair with Rashied Davis (at this point I'd rather take a look at moving Davis back to CB)

Rideau is going to get screwed by his slow running and inability to do anything significant against the 1st and 2nd string defenses he went against.

Sorry. I was rooting for thing guy to, but I saw nothing impressive about him. Hell, I thought Jaquin showed more potential.

I would say if anyone is going to kick him to the curb, its Aromashadu, not Davis. While we all talk about overall talent at WR, the staff is likely also looking at specific traits and stuff. In otherwords, Davis may be viewed as a end of the depth WR/special teams ace. Heading into camp, what was probably the top thing fans said about Rideau? He brings size to an otherwise pretty small WR corp. Well, w/ DA stepping up through OTAs, camp and preseason, it would seem he has filled that size roll the staff and Cutler may have been seeking.

At the end of the day, Rideau is one of those players who fans seem to fall in love w/, but simply didn't do enough when the opportunities were there. It seems like he did well in OTAs and early on in camp, but as camp went on, I heard less and less of his play, and he just didn't do enough in games. I realize he did well toward the end, but by then, it was against scrubs. He previosly had chances against better competition, and just didn't do enough.

Rideau is going to get screwed by his slow running and inability to do anything significant against the 1st and 2nd string defenses he went against.

Sorry. I was rooting for thing guy to, but I saw nothing impressive about him. Hell, I thought Jaquin showed more potential.

Yeah, I really wanted him to be the answer, too, but he just hasn't shown it against starting-caliber players. I'm OK with the team keeping Davis for his ST value, as long as he's firmly stuck at #6 on the depth chart. From what I've seen in the preseason, I'm thinking Hester-Bennett-Aromashodu-Knox-Iglesias-Davis would be about right.

Also, I'm thinking if Kevin Jones' injury is anything serious, we should probably just cut bait on him. He hasn't shown anything like the burst he had back in 2004. After watching him play last season and this preseason, I honestly can't think of any area where he looks better than Adrian Peterson. That's not to say AP's a real dynamic backup by any means, but if we're not going to keep 4 backs, I don't see any reason to keep Kevin Jones. I'd rather give that roster spot to AP and cross my fingers that Angelo drafts another running back next year.