Good for Mike Brown! Hard not to like the guy wherever he plays...

madlithuanian

Mike Brown named AFC defensive player of the week

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 18, 2009 10:41 AM ET

Kansas City Chiefs safety Mike Brown picked off two passes in Sunday's win over the Oakland Raiders, and today he learned that he's been named the AFC defensive player of the week.

It's the second player of the week award of Brown's career; he won an NFC defensive player of the week award in 2001, when he played for the Bears. Brown is the first Chiefs safety to win the award since Jerome Woods in 1997.

Both of Brown's interceptions came off Raiders backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who came in after JaMarcus Russell was benched. The first interception came at midfield and set up a Chiefs field goal, and the second (which bounced off the hands of Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey) came at the Chiefs' 10-yard line with 38 seconds left to seal the win.

Brown has started all nine games for the Chiefs this season, his first year in Kansas City after playing nine seasons for the Bears

Agreed... I understood the move, but now I question why injured players for us have issues here...and seem to recover well elsewhere?

He could not stay healthy - that is the bottom line. How many years did we need to see him keep getting injured? I have a Mike Brown jersey as he was one of my favorite players but it was time to move on.

Peace :dabears

I hear ya...I was very close to getting Brown jersey myself...

However, is it random bad luck yet again that a former injury prone Bear is playing well non-injured somewhere else?

He could not stay healthy - that is the bottom line. How many years did we need to see him keep getting injured? I have a Mike Brown jersey as he was one of my favorite players but it was time to move on.

Peace :dabears

I think its more how we play our safeties, We ask so much Physicallity at the line with them his body could not handle the punishment, if you watch a KC game look at how they play them well off the line and support CB's more. Last game I watched him he was rarely at the line like he was in Chicago.