Bears denied

azbearsfan

I thought teams couldn't restrict a guy if it was an interview for a promotion?

Someone asked about that in the comments section and here is the authors reply

"

A team can deny any employee under contract, unless they are interviewing to become a head coach, general manager or team president.

Used to be that a team couldn't stand in the way of anyone in line for a promotion. But the rule was changed to the present one in 2001, I believe.

Sean

"

I thought teams couldn't restrict a guy if it was an interview for a promotion?

When a coach is under contract, the only position move they can't block is to HC.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I couldn't imagine them letting him interview with a division rival.

When a coach is under contract, the only position move they can't block is to HC.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I couldn't imagine them letting him interview with a division rival.

Yep. As I understand it, this became a rule so guys like Dan Snyder couldn't hire coaches left and right away from his opponents.

We saw this a few years back when the Bears wanted to interview Rod Marinelli for the DC position and Tampa blocked it.

There are experienced OCs out there. Just do not know if they would be interested.

Fassel, Gailey, Musgrave, & Reeves have been mentioned by the media as possibilities. Saunders & Martz have been mentioned but I am not sure their systems would be a good "fit" for the Bears. Judd Fish, OC for Univ of MIN and former coach for DEN with ties to Cutler is a possibility but lacks NFL OC experience. Maybe a better QB coach option.

Coaches union has been screaming about this one. I think they finally got some stuff changed with regard to being allowed to interview during the playoffs, but this rule is still one that really hurts the upward mobility of a coach.

Personally, I think it is a crock. If you allow for a coach to move out of a contract in order to become a HC, what is the difference with assistants? Would the same logic and rationale not apply?

Yep. As I understand it, this became a rule so guys like Dan Snyder couldn't hire coaches left and right away from his opponents.

We saw this a few years back when the Bears wanted to interview Rod Marinelli for the DC position and Tampa blocked it.

Clements would have been a good candidate, but I would have been VERY surprised if Green Bay let their QBs coach and Aaron Rodgers' mentor go to a division rival. It'd be like the Tampa-Oakland super bowl, only twice a season every season.

At least they asked to interview Clements, though. I've been thinking about it more and more, and I have no idea why they haven't asked Denver to let them interview Rick Dennison yet. Dennison was Cutler's offensive coordinator from 2006-2008, and under him the Broncos' offense improved from #21 in total offense in 2006 to #11 in 2007 to #2 in 2008. McDaniels brought in his own OC, so Dennison's been demoted to offensive line coach. Denver might not let Chicago interview him, but they should at least put in the request. Cutler's familiar with him, he has a good track record as a coordinator, and he's consistently gotten great production out of their offensive line.