Gaines Adams dead

flea

That's different, because it wasn't a family member. An average of one person dies every 1.8 seconds, The only reason this gets mentioned is because Gaines Adams is an NFL football player. I am saddened by this tragic story but I don't think it's wrong to wonder about how this affects our football team. After all, this is a Football forum, not a place of mourning.

Yes, clearly.

How about this chief?

Lets all pretend that the young mans family reads this board, for a week or so, and try to respect what they must be feeling at this point.

Yes, clearly.

How about this chief?

Lets all pretend that the young mans family reads this board, for a week or so, and try to respect what they must be feeling at this point.

Yes it's terribly sad, but how far do you take it? Should the NFL cancel all games and push back the Super Bowl a week? I'm thinking we should not even try to replace him. Keep a 52 man roster out of respect and only start 10 defensive players, leaving that LDE spot open for the season.

If there were any of his family reading this board they would have spoken up when most were bitching about the trade.

How about we have 2 Gaines Adams threads? One for expressing condolences and another expressing concerns about what the hell we're going to do next to beef up our mediocre defensive-line.

Either way, debating about appropriate remorse is pointless. I sure as hell hope JA doesn't wait a week to figure out what we're going to do next.

Some of you guys are unbelievable.....

I agree its insensitive to wonder if we can get our pick back and to rip JA for not opening the guys chest up and looking at his heart LESS THAN A DAY after the young man has passed away.

I wonder what you would say to people who said "people die everyday, its a business" if it was your parents, Bearsox, or someone close to you, bradjock.

I suppose its too much to hope for class from some on a board that wishes harm to the owner or the team to lose games so the HC can get canned.

AMEN!!! I won't get caught in some ongoing net debate about this, but there is no doubt that talking about the effect of a person's death on a football team, particularly on the day it occurred, is nowhere near empathetic or decent behaviour. Have some common decency!!!!

AMEN!!! I won't get caught in some ongoing net debate about this, but there is no doubt that talking about the effect of a person's death on a football team, particularly on the day it occurred, is nowhere near empathetic or decent behaviour. Have some common decency!!!!

For anyone who wants to discuss the business or football side, there is now another thread. This thread can be for discussion/remembrances/condolences for Mr. Adams.

Yes, clearly.

How about this chief?

If you are so tore about what would his family think if they read this board then what would you think if any of the McCaskey family was reading this board when people wish that they would die. Come on. Do you really think for a second that some one is going to really care what we think the team should do. No one here is disrespecting Mr. Adams. We are also just wondering what JA and company are going to do now that Dline is undermanned and Ogunleye is an UFA.

If you are so tore about what would his family think if they read this board then what would you think if any of the McCaskey family was reading this board when people wish that they would die. Come on. Do you really think for a second that some one is going to really care what we think the team should do. No one here is disrespecting Mr. Adams. We are also just wondering what JA and company are going to do now that Dline is undermanned and Ogunleye is an UFA.

This.

They're saying it was cardiomyopathy due to an enlarged heart. It happened to an offensive lineman during the draft a couple of years back. I really don't know what the connection is between being a big athlete and having heart trouble, but the league needs to start looking into heart problems the same way they're looking at concussions. A league with as much money and as many medical resources as the NFL could potentially save the lives of guys with conditions like what Adams had.

Just FYI...

A friend of mine with quite a bit of knowledge in this area explained to me that this sort of thing is very difficult to detect in athletes, specifically larger athletes like NFL Linemen. Tests that would indicate heart issues would produce the same results that large athletes have normally.

On top of that, before trades are done in the NFL, I'm quite sure there is an extensive amount of testing done, none of which indicated heart problems.

Sad to hear about the news, but it's highly unlikely that the NFL could have prevented anything.

Yes it's terribly sad, but how far do you take it? Should the NFL cancel all games and push back the Super Bowl a week? I'm thinking we should not even try to replace him. Keep a 52 man roster out of respect and only start 10 defensive players, leaving that LDE spot open for the season.

If there were any of his family reading this board they would have spoken up when most were bitching about the trade.

How about we have 2 Gaines Adams threads? One for expressing condolences and another expressing concerns about what the hell we're going to do next to beef up our mediocre defensive-line.

Either way, debating about appropriate remorse is pointless. I sure as hell hope JA doesn't wait a week to figure out what we're going to do next.

Very true. I'm nearly positive that JA started thinking about the football ramifications of Adams' death within an hour after hearing about it.

Just FYI...

A friend of mine with quite a bit of knowledge in this area explained to me that this sort of thing is very difficult to detect in athletes, specifically larger athletes like NFL Linemen. Tests that would indicate heart issues would produce the same results that large athletes have normally.

On top of that, before trades are done in the NFL, I'm quite sure there is an extensive amount of testing done, none of which indicated heart problems.

Sad to hear about the news, but it's highly unlikely that the NFL could have prevented anything.

I agree that that's where we are right now, but before Kevin Everett had his spinal injury, I doubt that anyone would have thought that the NFL could help a quadriplegic man walk again. But the Bills' team doctor had gone to some neurosurgery conference where they discussed how hypothermia could preserve an injured person's spine, and he started keeping IV drips full of cold saline solution in a cooler on the sidelines. When Everett got hurt, the medical staff had already been practicing a spinal-injury drill: they put him in hypothermia before they even took him off the field, and didn't bring him out until he was in the trauma ward with a neurosurgeon ready. He couldn't move his limbs at all when he was on the field...he couldn't even control his lungs very well; now he can walk unassisted, he has small motor control, he can do basically everything an uninjured person can do. Everett's living proof that the NFL's resources can lead to medical advances that people wouldn't have thought possible.

I'm not saying anybody's to blame for not catching Gaines Adams' condition. It's tragic, but like you said, it's apparently very difficult to diagnose in athletes. But the NFL has the resources to make major advances in medicine, and I don't know why it couldn't devote some of those resources to getting improved diagnoses for athletes in the future.