Mike Martz it is

ChileBear

Guest TerraTor
It is official. Now we have a passing O in Chicago.

and no WR worth starting on any pro team, not to mention an oline capable of protecting a QB or producing a running game

It's a passing game now, and I've got no problem with Chicago getting with the times, as long as there's some balance. But in previous years "Mike Martz" hasn't exactly been synonymous with "balanced playcalling." I guess we can hope that he'll moderate his usual tendency to throw, throw, throw. If he doesn't, our offense will be just as one-dimensional as last season, and we might as well have kept Turner. The original Air Coryell offense was built around power running and occasionally a deep shot down the field to stretch the defense...maybe Martz can rediscover his roots.

More than that, though, I hope he realizes that he needs to throw to the TEs in Chicago. Olsen and Clark are the most consistent receivers we've got, and if Martz leaves them in to block all the time, he'll be wasting our best receiving threats. Not to mention that Olsen can't block worth crap.

It's a passing game now, and I've got no problem with Chicago getting with the times, as long as there's some balance. But in previous years "Mike Martz" hasn't exactly been synonymous with "balanced playcalling." I guess we can hope that he'll moderate his usual tendency to throw, throw, throw. If he doesn't, our offense will be just as one-dimensional as last season, and we might as well have kept Turner. The original Air Coryell offense was built around power running and occasionally a deep shot down the field to stretch the defense...maybe Martz can rediscover his roots.

More than that, though, I hope he realizes that he needs to throw to the TEs in Chicago. Olsen and Clark are the most consistent receivers we've got, and if Martz leaves them in to block all the time, he'll be wasting our best receiving threats. Not to mention that Olsen can't block worth crap.

Hopefully Tice will have some influence on those two points. It will be very interesting to see how Martz and Tice put together the game plan.

I think our best receiving threat is Aromashodu, hard as that might be to accept. Clark, while capable of catching and providing some YAC, is not a true threat to a defense. I think Olsen is more of a threat than Clark but the lack of a true outside threat last year enabled teams to focus on taking him out of the game plan.

I read the Wikipedia page on Air Coryell and it was insightful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coryell_Offense

It's interesting to see how other coaches adapted the scheme to fit their personnel or their preferences. Will Martz move his offense a bit toward what Gibbs or Saundes ran?

I may be wrong but right now I am actually relieved by the hiring of Martz and Tice which the experience of these two men alone should definately provide an immense uprgrade over Turner / Hamilton et ol. Martz may not be high on anyone list here but who else was going to come in on what is an essential one year deal? I think the key to this working out is that Tice will help provide balance.

Too bad Nolan went to Miami cause that would have been a great addition as well. I look forward to seeing who is brought in to run the "D"!

Well then that definitely means Lovie will be gone after next year, and so will Martz. This offense will NOT work with Cutler and the Bears. I've said this before but the offense he made famous was because he had 2 Hall of Fame players and 2 Pro Bowl wide receivers. It's also about being accurate with the football and throwing to a spot. That sounds like a disaster to me when you think of Cutler and our receivers.. Hope I'm wrong but I am not thrilled with this move.

First move I would make is to turn Olsen into a WR. He is a fast guy that can't block. Having him sit back as a blocking TE is worthless. Then get rid of the painted dirt and put in field turf. If we don't get a WR out in the FA market, put him out on one side and DA on the other. Use Knox and others in the slot. Trade Hester for some picks. Because if anything Hester is never ever ever going to be able to pick up the verbage, nor the plays in this offense. He had a hard time putting a simplified game plan out there. I cant imagine Hester picking this up.

I find it interesting that Lovie gets the offense he originally wanted when he was first hired. He hired Terry Shea because he was going to run the Martz offense. Now he has Martz to run the Martz offense.

I have to admit I am more than a little worried about our offensive line with this system. Lots of 5 and 7 step drops to throw the ball down field. I don't think our current offensive line will be able to consistently block that long.

Hopefully Martz will do what Turner didn't do until the last few games, get Cutler out of the pocket on the move to play to his strengths and get him away from our o-line.

and no WR worth starting on any pro team, not to mention an oline capable of protecting a QB or producing a running game

You are so negative. Unless Cutler throws for 5000 yards 50 td's and 0 picks you are going to complain. Our WR's are not as bad as everyone says they are. Everyone(media specifically) says that we don't have the talent around Cutler. That is the biggest bunch of B.S. if I have ever heard. We have extremely talented WR's, the question is weather Martz and co can get the players to play close to what there talent is. You can tell me that Knox and Hester aren't talented. Hester is NO #1 but he had a good year last year and if he doesn't get hurt he was on pace for 90 catches and over 1000 yards and around 6-8 TD's. That is not horrible. I don't get how everyone disses that group. The 2 biggest problems that I have is listening to everyone say how bad our WR's are and how much of a baby that Cutler is. Find me specific stats to prove me wrong and I will listen.