Could D Manning/Crag Steltz work?

bradjock

I pretty sure on the Monday night game vs. Minnesota game that we started D Manning at SS and Craig Steltz at FS. The first half was our best defensive performance of the year. I'm wondering if this combination might work for a couple different reasons:

1. D Manning has bad instincts and is slow to make reads. This makes him bad a FS, even though he has ideal speed. But he's explosive and he's a solid tackler. If we keep him closer to the line to be a disruptive force, this might be more ideal.

2. We mainly ask our FS to not give up big plays. Steltz appears to have good instincts, he'll be at the right place at the right time, and he doesn't miss tackles. He'll never be a super-star, but he might be good enough to fill a specific need.

I'd have a heart-attack if we spent a ton of dough on O.J. Atogwe. That'd be ideal, but I don't see it happening.

That leaves us signing another guy off the scrap-heap, like Josh Bullocks, or drafting yet another safety to go with Alfalava or Kevin Payne.

I'm probably being stupidly optimistic, but I'm thinking Manning/Steltz might work.

Guest TerraTor
I pretty sure on the Monday night game vs. Minnesota game that we started D Manning at SS and Craig Steltz at FS. The first half was our best defensive performance of the year. I'm wondering if this combination might work for a couple different reasons:

1. D Manning has bad instincts and is slow to make reads. This makes him bad a FS, even though he has ideal speed. But he's explosive and he's a solid tackler. If we keep him closer to the line to be a disruptive force, this might be more ideal.

2. We mainly ask our FS to not give up big plays. Steltz appears to have good instincts, he'll be at the right place at the right time, and he doesn't miss tackles. He'll never be a super-star, but he might be good enough to fill a specific need.

I'd have a heart-attack if we spent a ton of dough on O.J. Atogwe. That'd be ideal, but I don't see it happening.

That leaves us signing another guy off the scrap-heap, like Josh Bullocks, or drafting yet another safety to go with Alfalava or Kevin Payne.

I'm probably being stupidly optimistic, but I'm thinking Manning/Steltz might work.

I wish it would but i cant see it happening. We need an upper level guy at either CB or FS to make this defense closer to the 05 team

I wish it would but i cant see it happening. We need an upper level guy at either CB or FS to make this defense closer to the 05 team

Lets also keep in mind that LS and JA have both said that we need to get better at FS. Not sure of the wording they used but they addressed the FS position specifically.

I am not so sure. That game was a tale of two halves. In the first half, Minny tried to just ran the ball down our throats, and we seemed prepared to stop the run. In the first half, they ran the ball 14 times, compared to only 9 passes (5 complete) for 36 yards and we kept them off the score board. In the first half, you saw Farve really getting into the coaches face, seemingly about the game plan.

In the 2nd half, they came out firing. In the 2nd half, Farve completed 21 of 31 for 285 yards and 2 scores.

We got the win, but hard to look at those 2nd half stats and feel confident in our secondary play. To me, it was more a matter of Minny making a poor coaching decision early on, and we were able to hang on for the win.

I tend to agree...

However, with that said, I would love to see Steltz get a legit shot assuming all else being equal.

I really want Manning as a nickel/dime back. he excells in that position. Give a different guy a shot at playing alongside Steltz. Payne? Bullocks? I don't have an answer really... We need more talent back there regardless. But i think Steltz could surprise.

I am not so sure. That game was a tale of two halves. In the first half, Minny tried to just ran the ball down our throats, and we seemed prepared to stop the run. In the first half, they ran the ball 14 times, compared to only 9 passes (5 complete) for 36 yards and we kept them off the score board. In the first half, you saw Farve really getting into the coaches face, seemingly about the game plan.

In the 2nd half, they came out firing. In the 2nd half, Farve completed 21 of 31 for 285 yards and 2 scores.

We got the win, but hard to look at those 2nd half stats and feel confident in our secondary play. To me, it was more a matter of Minny making a poor coaching decision early on, and we were able to hang on for the win.

Serious question: did you feel like the Bears got any pressure at all on Favre in the 2nd half?

I can't say I recall specifically when, but yes, I thought that game we actually did manage some pressure. Harris for a change seemed to be playing at a higher level. I think this was also one of those games Brown stepped it up.

Maybe I am mixing this up with another game, but I actually thought our DL did a fair job of getting to Farve. As I recall, not only did we have some sacks, as well as pressures, but I also seem to recall several hits on Farve after he got rid of the ball, which I loved.

Farve was able to put up big numbers in the 2nd half, but just look at the receivers. Two receivers (Harvin/Rice) with 8 catches each, but combined for less than 100 yards. But Farve was able to really attack us w/ a ton of short routes, slands, and utilizing non-WRs. More than 15 catches by RBs and TEs.

Not saying the DL was great, but I thought the secondary was far more at fault than the DL. Even when the DL would get immediate pressure on Farve, WRs seemed to have no problem getting open.

Serious question: did you feel like the Bears got any pressure at all on Favre in the 2nd half?

"Not saying the DL was great, but I thought the secondary was far more at fault than the DL. Even when the DL would get immediate pressure on Farve, WRs seemed to have no problem getting open."

That tends to happen when the cb's are 10 yards off the line of scrimmage every single play though...

I can't say I recall specifically when, but yes, I thought that game we actually did manage some pressure. Harris for a change seemed to be playing at a higher level. I think this was also one of those games Brown stepped it up.

Maybe I am mixing this up with another game, but I actually thought our DL did a fair job of getting to Farve. As I recall, not only did we have some sacks, as well as pressures, but I also seem to recall several hits on Farve after he got rid of the ball, which I loved.

Farve was able to put up big numbers in the 2nd half, but just look at the receivers. Two receivers (Harvin/Rice) with 8 catches each, but combined for less than 100 yards. But Farve was able to really attack us w/ a ton of short routes, slands, and utilizing non-WRs. More than 15 catches by RBs and TEs.

Not saying the DL was great, but I thought the secondary was far more at fault than the DL. Even when the DL would get immediate pressure on Farve, WRs seemed to have no problem getting open.

This was the game where Favre just kept throwing the same inside slants and we never adapted. Hot knife through Lovie's butter defense and no pass rush was going to get Favre down, he was throwing on time in 2 sec to the same spot over and over and over and over.