Better Figure It Out Bears

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...ms/Default.aspx

Lions mulling deal for Sims

Mar

3/31/2010 9:46:16 AM | More

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports the Detroit Lions are strongly considering making a trade with the Seattle Seahawks for restricted free-agent guard Rob Sims, according to a league source

Sims is drawing interest from several teams, and could be signed to an offer sheet. He has a fourth-round tender. At this point, a return to Seattle seems unlikely.

Chicago is another team mulling Sims.

I read that this morning too.

Seems like there are two ways to go here.

One. Trade for him, which is sounds like others may be looking to do. As much as several teams want him, one thing that makes his valuable is the low one year salary you can get him for via trade, rather than simply signing him to an offer sheet. But, if (for example) we offer our 4th, and Det offers they same, they will win as their 4th is higher. No way we offer our 3rd, so if Det is willing to give up their 4th, we would have to offer another pick (unlikely w/ few picks to start with) or a player.

Two. Pony up the cash and make him a legit contract offer. I have no clue what sort of money he may be looking to make, but this seems like our best option to get him. Hell, point out to him that if he doesn't sign an offer sheet with us, he could end up in Det. That should be an incentive right there.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...ms/Default.aspx

Lions mulling deal for Sims

Mar

3/31/2010 9:46:16 AM | More

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports the Detroit Lions are strongly considering making a trade with the Seattle Seahawks for restricted free-agent guard Rob Sims, according to a league source

Sims is drawing interest from several teams, and could be signed to an offer sheet. He has a fourth-round tender. At this point, a return to Seattle seems unlikely.

Chicago is another team mulling Sims.

Really...is this Sims guy that good?

I don't recall a stellar running game for the last few years there. Nor QB protection.

Well said Madlith. My thoughts exactly. From what I understand, he's an upgrade over what we have. If we can get him, and even give up a 4th, for a starting LG, that's not bad. But the thought of getting into a bidding war is ridiculous.

Maybe Detroit is interested maybe they are just trying to bait us into paying a higher price. I agree, stay out of a bidding war over this guy. While he's likely better than what we have he can't be all that good if they only want a 4th.

Depends on what we are talking about with regard to a bidding war.

Look at how much we gave Omiyale last year. That was an OL who had nearly zero starting experience.

I think Sims is more than just an upgrade over what we have. I think he would likely be our 2nd best OL, and that is assuming a lot about Williams frankly.

If we were talking about getting into a bidding war where he was being offered pro bowl money, that would be one thing. Or if we were talking about giving up a 1st, think twice. But we are talking about a starting point of a 4th round pick, or maybe we offer him a deal. Not sure that is wrong.

Well said Madlith. My thoughts exactly. From what I understand, he's an upgrade over what we have. If we can get him, and even give up a 4th, for a starting LG, that's not bad. But the thought of getting into a bidding war is ridiculous.

Its a situation a bit similar to what we have w/ Olsen, though maybe worse.

Sims is a solid OG. I have read quite a few "NFL people" who believe that. I know the people in Seattle are baffled by the decision, as he was considered one of their top OL. Problem is, they have new staff with new schemes, and he is simply considered a very poor fit for their new blocking scheme. So while his value just went downhill for Seattle, it remains very strong for others.

Maybe Detroit is interested maybe they are just trying to bait us into paying a higher price. I agree, stay out of a bidding war over this guy. While he's likely better than what we have he can't be all that good if they only want a 4th.

He signed his tender today. This article seems to suggest he'll be available for less than a 4th round pick. If that's true, you HAVE to pull the trigger. I can only assume this was the plan all along: Redistribute the money that would have gone to Brown to Sims. Let's see if it ends up happening.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ttle-guard.html

He signed his tender today. This article seems to suggest he'll be available for less than a 4th round pick. If that's true, you HAVE to pull the trigger. I can only assume this was the plan all along: Redistribute the money that would have gone to Brown to Sims. Let's see if it ends up happening.

If he's healthy and available for less than a 4th, or for a conditional pick that only goes up to a 4th, I don't see any reason not to do that trade immediately. The Seattle fans I've talked to have said that he's nothing too special, but he's at least above-average when healthy. It sounds like the only reason that he's getting the axe is that Carroll wants to run a ZBS, and Sims is only a fit in a man-blocking system. Whatever the reason, if he's available that cheap and they're confident that he's over his injuries, they need to go get him.

Agreed dawizz. We had no timetable to dump Alex Brown. Yet we do it the same day Sims agrees to sign his tender? I'm thinking we'll have a Friday press conference and a new LG . . .

Pompei's one of the best in the league, so if he says its a good idea, I am behind him. Sounds like Simms is a physical guard and that is something we could use in the trenches when it comes to run blocking.

It also gives the Bears more depth if Kreutz goes down (Beekman at C) and would allow Omilaye to move to what is supposed to be his best position. To be honest, I have no idea how well that line would do, but I do feel that the line would have some potential (it could also end up being freaking terrible).

It also gives the Bears more depth if Kreutz goes down (Beekman at C) and would allow Omilaye to move to what is supposed to be his best position. To be honest, I have no idea how well that line would do, but I do feel that the line would have some potential (it could also end up being freaking terrible).

Yeah, depth wouldn't be a huge issue after that move. We'd have some decent line depth, and some good young talent:

1st string: Williams-Sims-Kreutz-Garza-Omiyale/Shaffer

2nd string: Marten-Louis-Beekman-?-Shaffer/Omiyale

Basically, we'd be in the market for a developmental RG to bring up behind Garza, but every other position would have a quality young player, either as the starter or on the 2nd string behind a vet. Shaffer or Omiyale (depending on who wins the starting RT job) would be the swing tackle in case somebody gets hurt, and Beekman could be the swing backup on the interior line. It'd certainly be a better depth/youth/talent mix than we've had in the past several seasons.