Funny Comparison

fudgeripple2000

I know we are 4-1. But lets be honest and objective, it hasn't been pretty. So far this year:

Jay Cutler- 68/102 912 yds 6TD 3Int

Kyle Orton- 118/175 1419 yds 6 TD 3Int

Johnny Knox- 12 Rec 258 yds 0 TD

Brandon Lloyd- 29 Rec 589 yds 3 TD

Given, I would rather have a weaker quarterback and be 4-1. Both chicago and denver are equally abismal rushing. We are 31st and they are 32nd. This is just math.

Isn't that like making a statement that the sky is blue? ;)

I was hoping that by using the stats of another ex-bears reciever, it would be more obvious that I was not wishing we hadn't traded for cutler. My statement was more of an indictment of how poorly this organization is at developing and using offensive talent.

I was hoping that by using the stats of another ex-bears reciever, it would be more obvious that I was not wishing we hadn't traded for cutler. My statement was more of an indictment of how poorly this organization is at developing and using offensive talent.

But isn't that a contradiction? We developed Orton to the point where Denver closed the Cutler deal with us over Washington because of him. Compare Orton his rookie year to his final with the Bears. There was a huge difference.

Denver's record is 2 & 3 and they have no run game. As for Lloyd, when he was with the Bears, he couldn't catch the damn ball if he was wide open and you threw it right at him. Now if he had to turn around, make a diving catch as he's falling down, he could do that.

Orton was so impressive, Denver traded up in the first round to draft a rookie QB. We'll see how the season plays out.

But isn't that a contradiction? We developed Orton to the point where Denver closed the Cutler deal with us over Washington because of him. Compare Orton his rookie year to his final with the Bears. There was a huge difference.

Denver's record is 2 & 3 and they have no run game. As for Lloyd, when he was with the Bears, he couldn't catch the damn ball if he was wide open and you threw it right at him. Now if he had to turn around, make a diving catch as he's falling down, he could do that.

Orton was so impressive, Denver traded up in the first round to draft a rookie QB. We'll see how the season plays out.

Sorry for not patting the coaching staff for developing a quarterback to the amazing end of 6.4 yds per completion from 5.0 yds his first year. Also denver has per their scheme has him at 8.1yds per completion. Again I have always equated Orton to Dilfer. He won't wow you but he won't kill you.

Lloyd's big start to the season HAS to be an anomaly. I mean, the guy is talented, but he just can't catch routine passes. He had a (relatively) fast start in 2008 with Chicago, and then basically shut himself down. That said, it's clear that he's Orton's favorite target - that was true in 2008, too. So I'm sure he'll continue to benefit from that for as long as he feels like playing, but I'll be very surprised if he keeps it up for a whole season.

As for Orton, I've always liked him, but he's a scheme-limited guy. Denver's put him in basically an ideal system, one that emphasizes his strengths (great ability to read a defense, quick decision-making, tremendous command of the playbook) and minimizes his major weakness (iffy accuracy, especially on deep throws) so I'm not surprised to see him putting up big numbers. But I still think trading him for Cutler was a good move. The Bears might be better right now if they'd hung onto Orton, installed a Patriots-style offense, and spent their picks wisely (especially since those two 1sts could have been Mike Oher and Dez Bryant, or Hakeem Nicks and Anthony Davis.) However, that's basically just saying that the team would be better off with a somewhat less talented QB, if they also had much better blockers and a go-to receiver. That's true of almost any team, and it doesn't really tell you much about who's better between Orton and Cutler. I think, in the long term, Chicago will be better off for having Cutler, once they get the scheme and supporting cast in place to make him look good.