Eagles @ Bears, 11/28/10, 3:15 CT, FOX

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Sadly, I agree.

Remember the Super Bowl? Give a top tier QB just a little time against this defense and he'll eat it up. Peppers is great, but he can't stop Peyton Manning from checking down 439 times a game to a small, slot WR for 6 yards.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Aside from the past two weeks, the defensive pressure has not been substantial enough to cause problems for an all-pro QB like Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rivers.

Yes but Peyton Manning is also the greatest quarterback of All-Time. The Colts play the exact same scheme as the Bears do and they won. We also had Rex Grossman.. and alot of injuries to our key players on defense.

We'll see what Brady can do here in a couple of weeks. But the notion that this defensive scheme doesn't work in the playoffs is just dumb. It's been proven by the Colts and the Buccaneers already that you can win with it. The Bears are making teams one dimensional every week and when they make you grind to get your points sooner or later the Bears are going to force a turnover, it's just a matter of time. The Bears ran into the hottest quarterback in the league right now and pretty much contained him all night. If it weren't for a lucky late TD pass (That should have been picked or batted down) this would have been a blowout.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's wrong. What's to expose when we already see it? The Bears are not great, but they are opportunistic. If the trend continues, the Lombari could bounce right into our laps.

Sadly, I agree.

Remember the Super Bowl? Give a top tier QB just a little time against this defense and he'll eat it up. Peppers is great, but he can't stop Peyton Manning from checking down 439 times a game to a small, slot WR for 6 yards.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Aside from the past two weeks, the defensive pressure has not been substantial enough to cause problems for an all-pro QB like Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rivers.

He's wrong. What's to expose when we already see it? The Bears are not great, but they are opportunistic. If the trend continues, the Lombari could bounce right into our laps.

I think you are confused about what he means by "exposed."

He doesn't mean exposed as in "we will all see the weaknesses of the system."

He means exposed as in "someone will exploit the weaknesses of the system."

If the Bears' D can look good against the Patriots, then it will be easier to believe wholeheartedly. But right now, I see flaws that will be exposed (the second definition) in the playoffs. For the record, I said the same thing before and during the Super Bowl against Indy.

Here's to hoping Dilfer and I are wrong.

If the Bears' D can look good against the Patriots, then it will be easier to believe wholeheartedly. But right now, I see flaws that will be exposed (the second definition) in the playoffs. For the record, I said the same thing before and during the Super Bowl against Indy.

Can anyone stop any QB from doing a 6 yard dump off pass? Vick did that yesterday and gained 333 yards, and while the Bears won by 5, they dominated most of the game. A tipped pass here and a fumble here, the Bears are in control.

Peppers, Idonije, and even Adams/Toeania showed yesterday they can get pressure on Vick by themselves. Against a more statue-esque QB like Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Brady, they should be able to do the same.

While, like I've said, I don't think the Bears are the best NFC team, they're up there. We'll worry about the Super Bowl if that time comes. Who knows, they could be playing the Jaguars or Jets in Dallas, and no one will be worried about any QB picking apart the scheme.

No. I just took it to mean that we here on this board know all the weaknesses. There is nothing to expose. Dilhole comes off like it's some monumental secret that our D isn't a mix of the '85 Bears/the Steel Curtain/ and the 2000 Ravens. Our D has weaknesses, like every single other D in the league. If some team wants to play the perfect scheme against our weaknesses, they can give it a whirl. Only a handful of teams can do it (Pats, Falcons, etc...). But if we can match them blow for blow, we have a good shot at winning.

Now, I'm not quite sure we can do it...but we have shown that we can do it. The question will be can we keep it up or do it when it matters most?

I think the other thing to think about is whose defense hasn't been exposed this year. Its not like there are a ton of top notch defenses out there. Maybe the Jets. San Diego has been up and down.

Lets worry about being "exposed" in the playoffs when we get there. I mean its really starting to sound like sour grapes.

First it was wait until the Eagles game, now its wait until the Patriots and the playoffs.

The bottom line is that the defense has been pretty good, the offense has been improving (pay calling and qb play in particular) and special teams in back, health has been good.

We just need to enjoy the ride.