Offseason thoughts

Bears4Ever_34

Agreed...

In all seriousness...

1. Need a playmaker in the secondary, they wont get Asomuhaugh, so who knows

2. If there is a Guard available, dont care what it costs, sign him

3. DRAFT A REAL OFFENSIVE TACKLE with no bullshit gambles. Chris Williams is god awful

4. Replace Kreutz or get ready to

5. #1 Wide Reciever... Bennett is a #2 and hester we all know will never be above average.

6. Gotta end this gap rusher DT scheme. Get a hog in the middle

Mankins, Jackson, Asomugha are the big 3 I'd like the Bears to target and possibly get 2 of the 3 if at all possible, at minimum one. Then from there depending on how much money they have and what happens to those 3 guys, the next tier of guys like Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Williams, T.O, Ochocinco, and Randy Moss are some others that could be available. I'm sure I'm missing some but those are the guys off the top of my head that will be FA's next year. DeAngelo Williams won't happen because the Bears like Forte too much but would be interesting to see a Williams/Forte combo. Personally, I say if we don't get Asomugha, we need to go after Champ Bailey and develop a young CB via draft. The two things the Bears desperately need more than anything is offensive line help and a #1 receiver. Those two have to be their top priorities entering next year and then from there use the draft to fill some of the other holes such as DT and FS.

Mankins, Jackson, Asomugha are the big 3 I'd like the Bears to target and possibly get 2 of the 3 if at all possible, at minimum one. Then from there depending on how much money they have and what happens to those 3 guys, the next tier of guys like Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Williams, T.O, Ochocinco, and Randy Moss are some others that could be available. I'm sure I'm missing some but those are the guys off the top of my head that will be FA's next year. DeAngelo Williams won't happen because the Bears like Forte too much but would be interesting to see a Williams/Forte combo. Personally, I say if we don't get Asomugha, we need to go after Champ Bailey and develop a young CB via draft. The two things the Bears desperately need more than anything is offensive line help and a #1 receiver. Those two have to be their top priorities entering next year and then from there use the draft to fill some of the other holes such as DT and FS.

You're crazy if you think this team is going to shell out the money for one, let alone two, of the top free agents this year after breaking the bank for Peppers last year. It's just not happening.

You're crazy if you think this team is going to shell out the money for one, let alone two, of the top free agents this year after breaking the bank for Peppers last year. It's just not happening.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said I hope they are able to get atleast one of those big 3. I would have reason to assume we will be right back where we were last year when we went after Julius Peppers. This team has a glaring weakness at offensive line and WR position and there will be some big name FA's available at those positions that I think the Bears will try and go after.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said I hope they are able to get atleast one of those big 3. I would have reason to assume we will be right back where we were last year when we went after Julius Peppers. This team has a glaring weakness at offensive line and WR position and there will be some big name FA's available at those positions that I think the Bears will try and go after.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You wrote " I'd like the Bears to target and possibly get 2 of the 3 if at all possible, at minimum one." That sounds to me like you want the the Bears to target and get at least one of those three players, if not two. And I'm saying I don't see that happening. Furthermore, we aren't "right back where we were last year" because last year we were coming off a 7-9 season with a coach and GM who needed to save their jobs and make a big splash. This year Lovie will get a new contract and the team will be coming off a season where they barely lost in the NFC Championship with their 3rd string QB playing. Sure, this team has problems. But if you can't see the difference between those two situations, I can't help you.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You wrote " I'd like the Bears to target and possibly get 2 of the 3 if at all possible, at minimum one." That sounds to me like you want the the Bears to target and get at least one of those three players, if not two. And I'm saying I don't see that happening. Furthermore, we aren't "right back where we were last year" because last year we were coming off a 7-9 season with a coach and GM who needed to save their jobs and make a big splash. This year Lovie will get a new contract and the team will be coming off a season where they barely lost in the NFC Championship with their 3rd string QB playing. Sure, this team has problems. But if you can't see the difference between those two situations, I can't help you.

No shit. I never said I think that's what the Bears WILL do. That's why I said "Target" and "Possibly". And yes, we are right back where we were last year in the sense that we have the opportunity to go out and make our team better by getting FA's. This has nothing to do with the season itself. Every year you are looking to improve and the Bears will look to do that just like every other team in the league.

Depending on what the CBA does, the Bears *Should* have an opportunity to be players on the FA market. They were reportedly in the middle of the pack this season in total salary despite buying out the FA market last year. They don't have any huge guys on their roster who are up for contract extensions (although Forte could be a guy that you sign this year). And they don't have a lot of their own big-time FA's who they need to franchise or risk losing.

Nnamdi Asomugha. Open the vault McCaskey, you cheap bastard.

And like someone else said, a hog in the middle. Add to our strength.

in free agency this is THE guy we need more than any other and would make the greatest impact on this teams success. we should have gone after him the last time he was a FA. sign this guy, a #1 cover corner, and our defense can play with anyone for a long time.

next sign a 'good' guard or RT if the money is still there. not necessarily a top free agent but a good one if there is one available who can be a 'stop gap' for a freaking high round drafted lineman to get up to speed. if no lineman is available sign a decent WR who is starting on the downside of his career.

I don't see Nnamdi Asomugha happening, not in a million years. The guy's a pure press-man corner, he'd be wasted in a zone-heavy defense like the Tampa-2. If we're in some fantasy scenario where everybody gets fired and the Bears install a completely new defense, then sure. But given that Lovie's staying, the Tampa-2 is staying, and the whole point of that scheme is that you don't need elite man-coverage corners to run it. Meanwhile, the Bears would be competing with teams like the Jets, the Raiders, and maybe even the Lions - teams whose schemes DO demand an elite cover corner. Those guys are going to set Nnamdi's market value, and it's going to be HIGH. His last contract was worth almost $30 million guaranteed over just two years. He could potentially top that figure this time around. Paying Asomugha his market value to play in the Tampa-2 would be like hiring an MIT professor for $200,000 a year to teach your kid his multiplication tables. Sure, he'd probably be good at it, but so would a $10-an-hour tutor.

I think Vincent Jackson has got to be the Bears' #1 priority in free agency, and I think they can actually find the money to pay him. A lot of the Bears' big expenditures were front-loaded onto this season, and they still only spent $120 million on player salaries in 2010. That number puts them 10th in the NFL, but it's still $25-30 million cheaper than teams like the Raiders and Cowboys, and only about $7 million more than league-average teams like the Bills and Panthers. Plus, if they cut Tommie and (with any luck) Chester Taylor, that'll free up $4 million a year or so in 2011 salary, which is close to half of what Vincent Jackson's going to be looking for annually. Cutting Manumaleuna (who utterly sucks at blocking, which is his only job) would save another $2.5m in 2011. They could probably scrounge up another $3-4 million per year without blowing their budget, and that would be enough to pay Jackson.

That said, I don't think they're going to be able to get him AND get another big-ticket free agent. I wish they would, because god knows we could use Logan Mankins or Davin Joseph at guard. But I'd be OK with making Jackson our big FA acquisition, and attacking the o-line problem with multiple draft picks. If there's money left over after Jackson, maybe they could get a cheaper FA guard like Marshal Yanda from Baltimore, who would still be an upgrade over Garza at RG. Give Cutler a line that can hold up for 3 seconds and a receiver that he can throw to under pressure, and there's no doubt in my mind that he can be a top-10 or even top-5 quarterback. What he did this season with no go-to receiver and no protection is remarkable enough: let's see what he can do with some help.

I don't see Nnamdi Asomugha happening, not in a million years. The guy's a pure press-man corner, he'd be wasted in a zone-heavy defense like the Tampa-2. If we're in some fantasy scenario where everybody gets fired and the Bears install a completely new defense, then sure. But given that Lovie's staying, the Tampa-2 is staying, and the whole point of that scheme is that you don't need elite man-coverage corners to run it. Meanwhile, the Bears would be competing with teams like the Jets, the Raiders, and maybe even the Lions - teams whose schemes DO demand an elite cover corner. Those guys are going to set Nnamdi's market value, and it's going to be HIGH. His last contract was worth almost $30 million guaranteed over just two years. He could potentially top that figure this time around. Paying Asomugha his market value to play in the Tampa-2 would be like hiring an MIT professor for $200,000 a year to teach your kid his multiplication tables. Sure, he'd probably be good at it, but so would a $10-an-hour tutor.

Couldn't have said it better myself... I was just about to post something very similar to this b/c everyone keeps talking about Asomugha, but it's not happening.

i couldn't disagree more.

everyone seems to believe that a cover corner is somehow wasted in a cover 2 system. that couldn't be more untrue. the best cover 2 system over the last 15+ years was run in tampa where they had a cb who could cover man and in fact was a 5 time all-pro 5 time pro-bowler who was considered a shutdown corner in ronde barber.

it is said that we run the cover 2 around 30% of our defensive plays and other types INCLUDING man coverage on the rest. and in my opinion YES we do need an elite cover corner especially in this division if we expect to compete with the packers who have a devastating lineup of wr's and another pro-bowl caliber qb in rogers. the same will go for the lions who also have a young very good qb and a pro-bowl caliber receiver. i also hardly think the vikings are not going to be looking for that franchise qb to stay competetive in this division so we will be in for the fight of our lives over the next 5-10 years for the division title. this is not even considering the best teams in the nfl and their high powered passing offenses who we will have to face in the playoffs or superbowl if we are lucky enough to get that far.

i think we have proved that you do need elite corners and very good safeties also if you want to have a chance for superbowl rings. ours are no where near good enough and it showed in numerous important games including the '06 superbowl. even with the best DE in football, or with some of the best interior DT's when harris or even ted washington was around you still need to be able to cover receivers tight off the LOS long enough to even give your superior defensive linemen time to get to the qb. 1-3 step quick drop and passing attacks will eat you alive as we already know for a fact don't we?

elite cb's are as rare and hard to find as elite DE's or qb's. what ever asomugha wants we should be willing to pay it unless we want to rely on the same type of nonsense and end results we have run for the last 7+ years. this should be our top free agent priority.

While I do agree with the Asomugha comments, with him being more of a man coverage player, the thing you guys are missing is that when you have a shutdown corner like him you are able to play more man coverage. If Lovie is smart, and I'm not saying he is, he would be willing to incorporate more of that in his defense next year.

While I do agree with the Asomugha comments, with him being more of a man coverage player, the thing you guys are missing is that when you have a shutdown corner like him you are able to play more man coverage. If Lovie is smart, and I'm not saying he is, he would be willing to incorporate more of that in his defense next year.

Right, this is kind of my point. If we're saying that the Bears should play more man and less zone, then sure, they should get a lockdown man-coverage corner. For the record, I agree. I'd like to see some more aggressive blitz packages in the Bears' playbook, stuff like what the Eagles and Lions run. But I don't see Lovie changing that defense, which is why I don't see them shelling out for Asomugha.

And Luciano, some people might call Ronde Barber a "shutdown corner" but his skillset couldn't be more different from Asomugha's. He doesn't blanket guys in man coverage: he sits in a zone, makes great reads, and jumps the route like all good Tampa-2 corners do. Barber's game is about creating turnovers, Asomugha's game is about just preventing the throw in the first place. They're as different as any two corners I can think of. It's not like I'm trying to say that no Tampa-2 corners can cover in man AT ALL. Obviously that's not true, but the fact that Barber is pretty good in man doesn't change the fact that what makes him a special player is what he can do in shallow zone coverage, baiting a quarterback into throwing his way and then making a play on the ball. What makes Asomugha special is the opposite - that he can stay in his receiver's pocket in man and make sure quarterbacks never throw his way. So the Bears' scheme, unless it were to change, doesn't emphasize the skills that make Asomugha special, and we don't really know if he has the skills that the Tampa-2 prizes in DBs, the kinds of things that Ronde Barber can do.

And Luciano, some people might call Ronde Barber a "shutdown corner" but his skillset couldn't be more different from Asomugha's. He doesn't blanket guys in man coverage: he sits in a zone, makes great reads, and jumps the route like all good Tampa-2 corners do. Barber's game is about creating turnovers, Asomugha's game is about just preventing the throw in the first place. They're as different as any two corners I can think of. It's not like I'm trying to say that no Tampa-2 corners can cover in man AT ALL. Obviously that's not true, but the fact that Barber is pretty good in man doesn't change the fact that what makes him a special player is what he can do in shallow zone coverage, baiting a quarterback into throwing his way and then making a play on the ball. What makes Asomugha special is the opposite - that he can stay in his receiver's pocket in man and make sure quarterbacks never throw his way. So the Bears' scheme, unless it were to change, doesn't emphasize the skills that make Asomugha special, and we don't really know if he has the skills that the Tampa-2 prizes in DBs, the kinds of things that Ronde Barber can do.

i can agree with your first statement somewhat. they do have different skillsets. but the main point is this... they are both shutting down one side of the field cutting an offenses weapons in half!!!

you HAVE to have at least one corner who can cover man and do it very well no matter what type of system you impliment including the cover 2 and any versions of it. if you don't believe this look at other systems running the cover 2 and especially the colts. you can get away with one weaker side (CB) because you can then give him GOOD safety help without jeporadizing getting burned on the long ball.

barber was very good at covering man when the role for him to do so called for it. he could play bump and run coverage and stay with the receiver off the LOS limiting the quick short passing attacks we are constantly under or deep routes without safety help which we are REALLY bad at.

one of the reasons he could play zone and jump shorter routes when called was because of the tremendous pass rush the got from his defensive line inside and out. not many if any defenses have an interior line of sapp and mcfarland along with a DE like rice who was quick/fast and could get to the qb while the interior line collapsed the pocket or doubled up sapp.

they also had very good linebackers and especially excellent safeties. we don't have anything close to that. that is why a very good cover corner can give our D-line the time it needs to get to the qb as we can cheat safeties to help out our #2 corner even with the 3 step drops. with a player like Asomuga or whatever his name is, we make our entire team better by giving our D-line the time it needs to get to a qb and it also frees up our linebackers to play like they SHOULD be playing making it a kill zone over the middle. it also compensates for the poor safeties we currently have as they can concentrate mostly on one side of the field. one more major plus is our blitzes are now way more effective and less dangerous to impliment.

in todays pass oriented rules you must be able to play tight man coverage or fail. this is going to hold true especially in our division with rogers and the wr's that team fields. this is also going to apply to the lions who have a very good qb (if he can stay healthy) along with very good receivers. the vikings can't be far behind if they want to stay competetive in the NORTH.