What do we do with Chris Williams?

bradjock

A year ago we viewed Chris Williams as our LT of the future. He gets injured in week #2 and doesn't play again until week #6 where he emerges as the starting LG.

Can anyone tell me if he was moved because he sucks at LT or because we wanted to get our top 5 o-linemen on the field, which includes Omiyale?

I've read LT is his most natural position. If he can be a solid starting LT, everything on the line becomes so much easier. Kreutz & Garza can still play (although not for long) and everyone seems to love J Webb. That leaves LG as the major gaping hole. Should Pouncey be there at #29 . . .

I write this with the assumption Kreutz will resign. Both sides want to make it happen. I also write this with the assumption we may not be able to sign another starting o-lineman. I say that because we don't know when/if free agency begins and who will be available.

On a side note, I'm still wondering what the hell our o-line philosphy is. Tice craves maulers while Martz prefers quick guys who can sustain a long pass-block.

I recall Tom Thayer saying on the radio that he sees him more as a RT. I think we need to put him at LT & put up with any growing pains so we know what we have

I agree that he needs to be put back on the field at LT and see if he can measure up. If Omayale becomes the backup OT I'm okay with that.

I recall Tom Thayer saying on the radio that he sees him more as a RT. I think we need to put him at LT & put up with any growing pains so we know what we have

Everything I've seen or read suggests that Williams is not a RT. He's a lot better as a blind-side protector; he has better footwork in pass blocking. That fits LT best.

He might be able to stick at LG, I'm not sure, but he should likely stay on the left side.

The key thing for him is getting someone next to him that isn't an open door. Omiyale was so bad last year that anyone playing next to him was going to look bad, especially if that player was playing out of position himself.

Williams never could count on help and he could count constantly on having the LH side of the line beaten and blown up. Even a great LG would look bad in that spot.

Stick a fork in him?

A year ago we viewed Chris Williams as our LT of the future. He gets injured in week #2 and doesn't play again until week #6 where he emerges as the starting LG.

Can anyone tell me if he was moved because he sucks at LT or because we wanted to get our top 5 o-linemen on the field, which includes Omiyale?

I've read LT is his most natural position. If he can be a solid starting LT, everything on the line becomes so much easier. Kreutz & Garza can still play (although not for long) and everyone seems to love J Webb. That leaves LG as the major gaping hole. Should Pouncey be there at #29 . . .

I write this with the assumption Kreutz will resign. Both sides want to make it happen. I also write this with the assumption we may not be able to sign another starting o-lineman. I say that because we don't know when/if free agency begins and who will be available.

On a side note, I'm still wondering what the hell our o-line philosphy is. Tice craves maulers while Martz prefers quick guys who can sustain a long pass-block.

I still think he's a left tackle, at the end of the day. He looked pretty good there in 2009, even with Omiyale crashing and burning next to him. If they get a Pro Bowl left guard lined up next to Williams in 2011 and beyond, he could be a good starter. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he could be good enough to solidify the position for the next 5 years or so.

I sure hope so, but I smell bust...

I still think he's a left tackle, at the end of the day. He looked pretty good there in 2009, even with Omiyale crashing and burning next to him. If they get a Pro Bowl left guard lined up next to Williams in 2011 and beyond, he could be a good starter. I don't think he'll ever be great, but he could be good enough to solidify the position for the next 5 years or so.

I also recall hearing that the Bears lined up their best 5 and didn't want to change it anymore this year. I think if they can get a great LG, more so in FA than the draft right now, draft Pouncey to play RG since he's better run blocking, they'd be a lot better.

We need to stick with Williams and get our value. We all talked about how a great LG like Faneca at the time would help a young LT, but the Bears screwed that all up. One thing they don't understand is drafting and setting that player up to succeed.

You can't put a young talent on an island alone. Cutler for instance needs a line and experienced WR's that can run the right routes. He's got the talent, but without scrambling every play for your life and WR's that give up a route, he'll always look bad. We talked about the w/ Grossman/Orton/Benson also.

One thing is clear to me, Chris Williams is not a guard. I've never seen a guard get so consistently bull-rushed as him on pass plays, and he has no push in the run game. He's just not strong enough to play guard.

I don't think he's good enough to play left tackle either. I don't know what his salary is this year, but if Tice doesn't think he's the starting LT I think he should be gone. His draft position is going to get him more playing time than he deserves, which will hurt the team (like it did when his draft position got him PT at LG and Raji destroyed him in the NFCCG.

Well said...

I also recall hearing that the Bears lined up their best 5 and didn't want to change it anymore this year. I think if they can get a great LG, more so in FA than the draft right now, draft Pouncey to play RG since he's better run blocking, they'd be a lot better.

We need to stick with Williams and get our value. We all talked about how a great LG like Faneca at the time would help a young LT, but the Bears screwed that all up. One thing they don't understand is drafting and setting that player up to succeed.

You can't put a young talent on an island alone. Cutler for instance needs a line and experienced WR's that can run the right routes. He's got the talent, but without scrambling every play for your life and WR's that give up a route, he'll always look bad. We talked about the w/ Grossman/Orton/Benson also.

You seem to be seeing much of what I'm seeing.

I fear he isn't that good.

One thing is clear to me, Chris Williams is not a guard. I've never seen a guard get so consistently bull-rushed as him on pass plays, and he has no push in the run game. He's just not strong enough to play guard.

I don't think he's good enough to play left tackle either. I don't know what his salary is this year, but if Tice doesn't think he's the starting LT I think he should be gone. His draft position is going to get him more playing time than he deserves, which will hurt the team (like it did when his draft position got him PT at LG and Raji destroyed him in the NFCCG.

You seem to be seeing much of what I'm seeing.

I fear he isn't that good.

I keep hearing that we should get Mankins and then draft oline high. This aint gonna happen. I think JA has learned we need those high picks and we can't trade picks for players right now cuz of CBA issues. This is a pipe dream but let's stop this non sense.

I think we should move Williams back to LT and draft Pouncey but I fear that Pouncey will be gone by #29. He's had a good week at the combine. If he's gone I think we should look at Anthony Castonzo.

I think we should move Williams back to LT and draft Pouncey but I fear that Pouncey will be gone by #29. He's had a good week at the combine. If he's gone I think we should look at Anthony Castonzo.

I'd like that strategy...I also think they should take a long hard look at Rodney Hudson if Pouncey's gone. Hudson can be a one-year stopgap at LG and then an All-Pro center once Kreutz retires.

Did you mean to respond to my comment bowlingtwig? Seems like you're responding to something very different. I'm fearing Williams is a bust. Yes, I want to draft OL and yes, I want to get some in FA. But I don't want to trade away high picks (at least for Mankins). I want FA and draft both personally, but, isn't that a different topic?

As far as who we should draft...I haven't a clue. I've been removed from this past college season and leave it to you guys that know the college ranks better than I!

I keep hearing that we should get Mankins and then draft oline high. This aint gonna happen. I think JA has learned we need those high picks and we can't trade picks for players right now cuz of CBA issues. This is a pipe dream but let's stop this non sense.

When Chris Williams was coming out there were red flags about his back medically and he was considered better at OT and specifically at RT. So the medical checked out and so far he hasn't had a big enough body of work at RT to consider if he is a hit or miss there. JA has only drafted 2 OTs in the first round both have had medical issues and 1 has started quite a few games for another team(Columbo-Dallas). So when he has this next chance he better hit or he should be gone because most of us that have followed this team are used to the thought of building on the lines first.

JA has only drafted 2 OTs in the first round both have had medical issues and 1 has started quite a few games for another team(Columbo-Dallas). So when he has this next chance he better hit or he should be gone because most of us that have followed this team are used to the thought of building on the lines first.

Yup - this. Look at what San Francisco did last year - a first-round pick on a left tackle in 2007, then two more first-rounders on o-line in 2010. Barring a catastrophic injury, they're going to be set up front for the next 6-7 years. Add in a go-to receiver in Crabtree (another recent 1st-round pick) and they've got a pretty ideal situation for any quarterback to step into. They still need to find that guy, but they've got all the other pieces in place for when they do. That's going to be a good scenario for some QB to succeed.

Any quarterback, no matter how good he is, needs a solid line in front of him and a dependable #1 to throw to. Even among the best QBs in the league, guys still don't play their best if the protection or the receivers are lacking. Tom Brady can still get it done without an elite wideout, but his best seasons were throwing to Moss and Welker. McNabb made a bunch of scrubs look better than they were for a number of seasons, but he was really at his best when he had TO and then DeSean Jackson. If Angelo wants to get the best out of Cutler, he needs to give him the tools to succeed. If he does manage to hit on an o-lineman in the 1st and the line starts playing well next year, then he needs to turn his attention to getting a go-to receiver. Fixing the o-line this year is a start, but drafting somebody like Justin Blackmon next year would put the offense over the top.

Did you mean to respond to my comment bowlingtwig? Seems like you're responding to something very different. I'm fearing Williams is a bust. Yes, I want to draft OL and yes, I want to get some in FA. But I don't want to trade away high picks (at least for Mankins). I want FA and draft both personally, but, isn't that a different topic?

As far as who we should draft...I haven't a clue. I've been removed from this past college season and leave it to you guys that know the college ranks better than I!

My post wasn't directed 2 anyone in particular. Its an overall thing whenever I hear someone say we should trad 2 get Mankins and then draft oline