Angelo, Lovie and Marinelli

Stinger226

All three attended USFs pro day who had McClain DT as the main attraction. When is the last time all three went somewhere together? Sounds like major interest. He's 6'1" 300 lbs, 4.8 in the 40. Had 4 TFL and 4 sacks. Athletic but not productive. Only had 24 tackles. Not worthy of a high pick IMO. Was ranked 13rh in PFW draft book. I would be ok with this pick in the 4th or maybe 3rd, but sounds like alot of work and project.

All three attended USFs pro day who had McClain DT as the main attraction. When is the last time all three went somewhere together? Sounds like major interest. He's 6'1" 300 lbs, 4.8 in the 40. Had 4 TFL and 4 sacks. Athletic but not productive. Only had 24 tackles. Not worthy of a high pick IMO. Was ranked 13rh in PFW draft book. I would be ok with this pick in the 4th or maybe 3rd, but sounds like alot of work and project.

I'm anxious to see if Henry Melton can take it to the next level. Dan Pompei had an article in the Trib saying we'd like to start him and that he's up to almost 300 lb's now, the ideal playing weight for a Lovie DT. Of course last year at this time we were hearing great things about Marcus Harrison.

Either way, we're seeing the trend that we're looking hard at DT's and o'lineman. For what it's worth, walterfootball.com has McClain going in the 4th round, 111 overall to the St. Louis Rams in their mock. ESPN insider has him ranked as the 58th player overall. Here's what they say about him:

Production 2 2007: (12/0) 8 total tackles, 4 TFL, 1 PBU, 1 FR. 2008: (12/9) 32 total tackles, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 FF. 2009: (13/11) 25 total tackles, 5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 1 FF. 2010: (13/13) 24 total tackles, 4.5 TFL, 3 sacks.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Has a wide trunk and is about an inch shorter than the average DT at last three combines. But possesses adequate-to-good bulk for his frame and above average speed for the position.

Durability 2 Started 33 or 49 games played at USF.

Intangibles 3 Comes from a strong support system. His mother, Lynn, is in the Navy. Some scouts have raised concerns regarding his mental toughness. Also question whether or not effort/production increased in 2010 because it's a 'contract season'?

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Versus the Run 2 Can be a disruptive run defender. At his best when on the move (slanting, twisting, etc). Consistently gains positioning with quick get-off step and can beat the reach block. Has long arms and does a good job of using quick hands to help establish positioning and to gain penetration. Shows good closing burst for size and can be a big hitter. Has a wide trunk. Displays adequate but not ideal strength at the point of attack stronger lower body than upper body. Can stack initially and flashes ability to get off of blocks and pursue. But can be late finding the ball at times and the longer he's engaged with OL the less interested he becomes in finishing.

Pass Rush Skills 3 Production is below-average -- only 4.5 sacks in last two seasons as a starter at USF (2009-'10). But has better pass rushing potential than production indicates. USF takes him out of game or moves him to different position (LDE in a 3-man front usually) on third-and-long situations. He shows good first-step quickness and can jar OL initially. Also shows good closing burst to QB if he gets a lane. But if OL is able to reset after initial move, McClain does not have much with which to counter. He does not possess overwhelming power to drive OL back into QB. Also lacks explosive quickness in second-move to regain the edge. Does not always fight hard enough versus the double team.

Quickness (hands/feet) 2 Shows good short area quickness. Fires off the ball quickly and can consistently generate penetration when snap awareness is on point. Has long arms and generally is effective with hand usage. Not as violent as some other top DT's but quick and efficient with rip and swim moves.

Toughness/Motor 3 Don't have a problem with his motor. In fact, he appears to have good stamina and will pursue all day long. Also makes plays when chasing from behind. But there are some reasons on tape to question his toughness. The times we see him quit on a play are when he is stuck in a physical phone booth battle.

Great athlete with low productivity sounds like another JA 3-4th rounder. I hate it. That's why our OL sucks because we could draft a starting guard or center almost every year here. I'd much rather see a productive guy from the SEC drafted in the 1st or second if they draft a DT.

From what I've read, they were at USF's pro-day to watch some DB perform. Obviously, it could be a smoke screen.

from what I read they went to look at him, but very possible checking an unfamilar name out instead. Just thought odd that all 3 went to look at someone.