The draft

Wesson44

So it seems to me that we are going to get an OL and WR somewhere in the draft or FA this year. So who do you think it will be?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page

Bears | Looking for versatile OL Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:20:55 -0700

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said offensive coordinator Mike Martz and offensive line coach Mike Tice are looking for linemen that could play tackle and guard, according to Jeff Dickerson, of ESPNChicago.com.

Source: ESPNChicago.com - Jeff Dickerson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Interested in adding big WR Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:11:14 -0700

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team is interested in adding a big wide receiver during the 2011 NFL Draft but does not believe the receiver group is great this year, according to Jeff Dickerson, of ESPNChicago.com.

Source: ESPNChicago.com - Jeff Dickerson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Considering 4-6 players for first pick

Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:09:09 -0700

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team is looking at four to six prospects that could be available when they pick in the first round, reports Sean Jensen, of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times - Sean Jensen

Bears | Open to trading down

Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:07:53 -0700

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team would be open to trading their first-round draft choice if teams call about the pick, reports Sean Jensen, of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Bears | Open to trading down

Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:07:53 -0700

Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team would be open to trading their first-round draft choice if teams call about the pick, reports Sean Jensen, of the Chicago Sun-Times.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

But I don't see the problem with trading down this year.

To begin with, there is a chance every "talked about" OT will be off the board (Sherrod, Castonzo, Smith, Solder, Carimi), and this isn't even including another OL, albeit a OG/C, Mike Pouncey.

By the look of things around this board, keeping the 29th pick and not ending up with an OT/OG/C would eventually turn into World War 3.

What if Angelo, with every talked up OT off the board + Pouncey, takes Stephen Paea or a WR? Then everyone here will be pissed off.

If all of these said OT's are gone, I would trade down. Pick up an additional 2nd and another 3rd, and draft Danny Watkins and James Carpenter, 2 guys who should have no problem stepping into the lineup right away.

If Watkins, Pouncey, and the top 5 tackles are all gone by #29 (which is a possibility,) then I'd be OK with trading down. The Niners' picks at #45 and #76 are worth about the same as our #29...that'd give us 4 picks in the top 100. Then we could go:

45: James Carpenter, OT, Alabama

62: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

76: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh

93: Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska

...or:

45: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt

62: Orlando Franklin, G/T, Miami

76: Terrell McClain, DT, USF

93: Jason Pinkston, G/T, Pitt

We'd have a lot of flexibility in terms of which positions to take where. Personally, I'd be happiest with the first scenario: trade down, still land a starting-caliber player in Carpenter, and grab an extra offensive lineman in the process. But taking Baldwin in the 2nd would look a lot less like a luxury pick if we had another 2nd and two 3rds to shore up the lines.

If Watkins, Pouncey, and the top 5 tackles are all gone by #29 (which is a possibility,) then I'd be OK with trading down. The Niners' picks at #45 and #76 are worth about the same as our #29...that'd give us 4 picks in the top 100. Then we could go:

45: James Carpenter, OT, Alabama

62: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

76: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh

93: Niles Paul, WR, Nebraska

...or:

45: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt

62: Orlando Franklin, G/T, Miami

76: Terrell McClain, DT, USF

93: Jason Pinkston, G/T, Pitt

We'd have a lot of flexibility in terms of which positions to take where. Personally, I'd be happiest with the first scenario: trade down, still land a starting-caliber player in Carpenter, and grab an extra offensive lineman in the process. But taking Baldwin in the 2nd would look a lot less like a luxury pick if we had another 2nd and two 3rds to shore up the lines.

I think you hit the biggest thing. You have to react to what the draft gives you. You can't be locked into one way of thinking. Flexibility is the key.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If the top talent is gone, it makes sense to trade down. For example, at OT, if Solder & Carimi are gone (I'm assuming Tyron Smith & Costonzo are LONG gone), the mocks have us taking Sherrod. In terms of talent, he's close to Marcus Canon & Ijalene. At OG, after Pouncey & Danny Watkins, there is a slew of 2nd tier guards available. Likewise at DT, after Luiget, there's a glut of comparable 2nd round DT's. There's a top level, and a definite 2nd level.

I'm not saying we pass on a top talent that's available, I'm just saying if that top talent is gone, we'd be stupid not to trade down if possible.

We were in comparable positions in 2006 & 2007. We did it both ways that sort of worked out in our favor:

2006--#26 pick we trade down to draft D Manning & Dvoracek. Not great picks, but at #26, John McCargo's a bust, and if you look back, there's no great player we'd have taken: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...nd=round1#round Nick Mangold's the pick, but it wouldn't have happened with Kreutz.

2007--At #29, JA said he had trade offers, but he stayed to draft Olsen who was projected to go in the early teens.

I think we'll take the same philosophy now that we did then. I'll be pissed if someone like Solder, Pouncey, or Liuget's available and we trade down. If there is no premier talent available at #29, we're better off going for quantity. On a side note, I really thought Dvoracek would have been a helluva a player if not for injuries.

2007--At #29, JA said he had trade offers, but he stayed to draft Olsen who was projected to go in the early teens.

I didn't know that...that's reassuring with this year's draft coming up. I'm OK with trading down if there really isn't a value player at OL, DT, or WR, but if one of those guys sticks around, Angelo better stay put and pick him.