Who had the best draft? Who had the worst?

defiantgiant

So who do you guys think are the winners and losers in this draft? To me, the Bears did well for themselves, but a couple of other teams did even better. Here are my picks.

Best Drafts

1) Chiefs: oh man, they helped themselves a TON this year. Jon Baldwin gives them an explosive threat opposite Dwayne Bowe, and they're going to be able to throw all day in the red zone with those two plus Moeaki. Hudson was one of my favorite players in the draft: he'll be a great center. And their defense looks MILES better than last season. Houston and Tamba Hali are a scary pass-rush duo, plus Jerrell Powe and Allen Bailey add a lot of beef to their d-line rotation.

2) Buccaneers: the Bucs doubled down on a need position for the third year in a row, and they got incredible value. If Bowers' knee can be managed, he and Clayborn make an elite DE tandem to go with McCoy and Price on the inside. They did pretty well for themselves after that, too: Mason Foster was my favorite 4-3 linebacker in this draft, Ahmad Black should be a productive nickel back even if he doesn't have NFL safety range, and Luke Stocker is good all-around TE to go with Kellen Winslow. All their picks in the first 5 rounds should contribute on offense or defense in year one, and three of them are surefire starters. Another great draft by the Bucs.

3) Saints: they got a stud LDE in Cameron Jordan and still managed to get back into the 1st for Mark Ingram. Martez Wilson is a fit as a rush linebacker for a blitz-heavy 4-3, and he's got the talent if they can develop him. Johnny Patrick was one of my favorite mid-round CBs, and can probably push for the nickel job as a rookie. Greg Romeus is a jaw-dropping value pick in the 7th round; if they can keep him healthy even some of the time, he'll be an impact RDE to pair with Jordan. The guy's got 1st-round talent and was highly productive in college when he wasn't hurt.

Worst Drafts

1) Cardinals: It's weird to say this about the team that picked the best player in the draft, but they really screwed this up. The Cards have maybe the worst QB situation in the league, but they didn't pick a QB. They have MAJOR problems on the o-line, but they stood pat there too. They need to find a pass-rush, but they didn't pick an OLB until the 4th round. Peterson and Ryan Williams are great players, but both of them play positions where Arizona already has a guy. They were in position to take Blaine Gabbert, but even if they're set on signing a veteran QB instead of drafting one, they could have taken Tyron Smith, Ben Ijalana, and Justin Houston in the first three rounds. Or Smith, Brooks Reed, and Will Rackley. That'd give them an edge-rushing OLB and two new starters for their god-awful o-line so Marc Bulger or whoever doesn't get killed.

2) Chargers: Corey Liuget is a beast, but I'm not sure he's a 3-4 DE. Vincent Brown should be a nice slot receiver. Other than that, they really didn't come away with anybody. Not much to show for this draft, although maybe they figured special teams was the only place where they needed help.

3) Broncos: Von Miller is a nasty pass-rusher, but what position is he in a 4-3? My best guess is that they're planning on a Julian Peterson role for him: Sam linebacker on 1st and 2nd down, then nickel DE on 3rd down. The problem is, they already have that guy. His name's Elvis Dumervil. Denver's biggest needs were interior d-line (for their switch back to the 4-3) and secondary, but somehow they decided to pass on Marcell Dareus AND Patrick Peterson. Linebacker/DE were a distant 3rd in terms of needs. The possibilities they had with their draft picks are just staggering:

1) Peterson

2) Marvin Austin

2) Stephen Paea

3) Justin Houston

...or:

1) Dareus

2) Rahim Moore (who they did pick, credit where credit's due)

2) Da'Quan Bowers

3) Drake Nevis

They could have built a terrifying d-line in a single draft, added talent to their secondary, and used Dumervil in the role that they're planning for Von Miller. Imagine a 3rd down d-line of Dumervil-Paea-Austin-Houston or Dumervil-Dareus-Nevis-Bowers...it'd be sick.

I think the Bucs took too many risks. I've watch Clayborn too many times be a non factor in games last year and as much of a feel good story he is for over coming Erb's palsy it still doesn't change the fact that he has it. Clayborn is at his physical ceiling already. The only way he can overcome this is by drive and technique. If he was going to a 3-4 team I think he would do better.

Da'quan Bowers is just a sad story. I'm sorry but the phrase 'bone on bone' and knee is a devastating prognosis for his career. I hope he can burn bright early because his condition almost assuredly means his career will be short. You can't heal cartilage and micro fracture surgery is skin oil for NFL players. Maybe for NBA players it might be a viable option because basketball is not as violent as football, but when you have to weight a minimum of 250lb to be reasonable effective the outlook for Bowers is not good. His only hope is that the doctors are wrong and that his knee isn't as bad and that could be true because what doctor wants to make that multi million dollar mistake?

Too many health questions to rank the Bucs as having a good draft.

I don't see any problems with Arizona's draft. They got the BPA in the whole draft at #5, and they'll probably end up with Matt Hasselbeck or Donovan McNabb to groom Skelton and Hall. Unlike Carolina, they didn't give up on a young QB for another young QB in 1 full season.

As for KC, I fail to see how they had a good draft. Jonathan Baldwin is a cancer. Supposedly, the players at Pitt disliked him a lot, and it didn't improve when he threw his coach and QB under the bus after a loss late in the year. Also, he doesn't play up to his talents and size. This isn't even mentioning the fact that Houston just got busted for marijuana. While this isn't typically bad, Scott Pioli rarely drafts players with issues, and he took 2 in the first 3 rounds with Baldwin and Houston.

Seattle's was pretty bad. I liked Cincinnati's.

If the Cardinals had taken a rookie QB, they may as well have figured on trading away Fitzgerald, because it makes no sense to hold onto Fitz while they spend 2 years developing one of these raw rookies.

They've got to go for a veteran.

Word is thier talks about Getting Mcnabb or Kolb in a trade or FA signing. Either will upgrade thier current roster immensely.

BEST

Denver - MASSIVE draft. Nate Irving and Von Miller will probably start at LB in their first years. Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter will probably be starting together at safety not much longer afterwards. Orlando Franklin has the potential to start on the OL, and the Broncos also nabbed two potentially dangerous TE threats.

Indianapolis - The rich get richer. This team wins because it understands the draft. Step 1: Identify your best player. Step 2: Maximize your best player's talents. How do you do that? OL, OL. Costanzo and Ijalan will give Peyton tons of time to throw to...it doesn't really matter (see: scrubs who caught tons of passes last year). Peyton Manning was sacked fewer than any other QB in the NFL last year, and the Colts still went back-to-back to upgrade protection. Oh yeah, Drake Nevis is an immediate starter at DT.

Buffalo - They got half of a starting defense in this draft. Dareus will be a beast at DT, the combo of Aaron Williams and Da'Norris Searcy could end up starting, and Kelvin Sheppard will probably start day 1.

Cincinnati - They got one of the most electrifying WRs to ever enter the draft (Green), a future stud at QB (Dalton), and an OG that will start for several years (Boling). Dontay Moch is just icing on the cake.

New England - Just like the Colts, they know where the bread is buttered. Nate Solder will be a stud, and Cannon was a day 3 steal. Ras-I will be a starter and they prepared for the future with Mallett. They know how to draft. Period.

WORST

Carolina - I don't think the Cam Newton pick was smart for an organization that already had a young, promising QB. Add that to the other mediocre picks and it doesn't impress.

Houston - I hate their draft. Three straight DBs? Did they get bizarro Matt Millen to help this year?

Minnesota - HAHAHAHAHA. Ponder?! THEN A TIGHT END?! HAHAHAHA.

Seattle - What the hell were they doing? Even Nick Saban thought they reached in Round 1. The only good selection they made was in round 2 when they grabbed Moffitt.

Tennessee - Locker is a huge reach. I like their defensive additions, but they bombed on the QB pick (and got the wrong RB to spell Chris Johnson).

BEST

Denver - MASSIVE draft. Nate Irving and Von Miller will probably start at LB in their first years. Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter will probably be starting together at safety not much longer afterwards. Orlando Franklin has the potential to start on the OL, and the Broncos also nabbed two potentially dangerous TE threats.

Indianapolis - The rich get richer. This team wins because it understands the draft. Step 1: Identify your best player. Step 2: Maximize your best player's talents. How do you do that? OL, OL. Costanzo and Ijalan will give Peyton tons of time to throw to...it doesn't really matter (see: scrubs who caught tons of passes last year). Peyton Manning was sacked fewer than any other QB in the NFL last year, and the Colts still went back-to-back to upgrade protection. Oh yeah, Drake Nevis is an immediate starter at DT.

Buffalo - They got half of a starting defense in this draft. Dareus will be a beast at DT, the combo of Aaron Williams and Da'Norris Searcy could end up starting, and Kelvin Sheppard will probably start day 1.

Cincinnati - They got one of the most electrifying WRs to ever enter the draft (Green), a future stud at QB (Dalton), and an OG that will start for several years (Boling). Dontay Moch is just icing on the cake.

New England - Just like the Colts, they know where the bread is buttered. Nate Solder will be a stud, and Cannon was a day 3 steal. Ras-I will be a starter and they prepared for the future with Mallett. They know how to draft. Period.

WORST

Carolina - I don't think the Cam Newton pick was smart for an organization that already had a young, promising QB. Add that to the other mediocre picks and it doesn't impress.

Houston - I hate their draft. Three straight DBs? Did they get bizarro Matt Millen to help this year?

Minnesota - HAHAHAHAHA. Ponder?! THEN A TIGHT END?! HAHAHAHA.

Seattle - What the hell were they doing? Even Nick Saban thought they reached in Round 1. The only good selection they made was in round 2 when they grabbed Moffitt.

Tennessee - Locker is a huge reach. I like their defensive additions, but they bombed on the QB pick (and got the wrong RB to spell Chris Johnson).

Where did the Texans go 3 straight DB's? IIRC, they took JJ Watt, then Brooks Reed, then Brandon Harris, which means 2 DE/OLB's and then a CB.

Where did the Texans go 3 straight DB's? IIRC, they took JJ Watt, then Brooks Reed, then Brandon Harris, which means 2 DE/OLB's and then a CB.

Rd 2, Pick 28 - Brandon Harris - DB

Rd 4, Pick 30 - Rashad Carmichael - DB

Rd 5, Pick 13 - Shiloh Keo, DB

Can't blame them - they had the worst secondary in the league last season. They desperately needed to reload on the back end. If anything, I think it was a pretty restrained move to concentrate on their front 7 with the first two picks.

I thought you meant the first 3 picks. Apologies.

But like the poster above me said, they should have done this. Their secondary was god awful last year. In a division with Peyton Manning, and future (star??) QB's in Locker and Gabbert, it's probably a good idea to load up on young DB's.

BTW, I'd be shocked if Keo was an actual starting DB. He'll likely be a spark plug on ST.

I thought you meant the first 3 picks. Apologies.

But like the poster above me said, they should have done this. Their secondary was god awful last year. In a division with Peyton Manning, and future (star??) QB's in Locker and Gabbert, it's probably a good idea to load up on young DB's.

BTW, I'd be shocked if Keo was an actual starting DB. He'll likely be a spark plug on ST.

The odds of either of those QB's becoming Star's is pretty low...and the odds of it happening for both are ridiculously low.

The odds of either of those QB's becoming Star's is pretty low...and the odds of it happening for both are ridiculously low.

Yeah, the odds aren't great for any QB. Even first-round picks have like a 50/50 track record in the pros. That said, something just makes me want to root for Locker. He seems like he has the kind of work ethic that'll give him a shot to develop into a great QB, even if he's got some flaws right now. I know the odds are bad for any QB, but I just wouldn't want to bet against him.

As much as I'm impressed by Christian Ponder, I'm really glad the Vikings got him and not Locker. I think Ponder is probably a solid bet to be a Matt Hasselbeck type of QB, but I think there's a chance that Locker turns out to be great.