Faulk says Pay Forte

GrizzlyBear

I read the article and have to admit that MF made alot of sense....I am not aware enough of the appropriate pay level for someone like Forte but it is hard to argue with production. I hope we keep him.

IMO, the contract the Bears offered him in the preseason was the appropriate pay level for a RB who is still a year away from hitting Free Agency.

IMO, the contract the Bears offered him in the preseason was the appropriate pay level for a RB who is still a year away from hitting Free Agency.

Agreed. Which is why I said what I said about Faulk. It's not like he was going to say, "Ya know, Forte needs to take that deal. The players are way too greedy now. Especially Briggs."

Also, he's capable of playing every down, but he's not going to. If the Bears needed him to because Bell and Barber were considered duds, he'd have better bargaining position. He's been the starter every year since he was drafted in the 2nd round and likely will remain so if signs on with the Bears again. There's something valuable about that kind of commitment and trust from your team. Go to some other team and have one off season and you could find yourself with a 1st round rookie being primed to take your job.

I also question whether runningbacks who can run and also receive well are actually that uncommon (he's apparently a good blocker, but if he was one of the best, we'd hear it). In my opinion, part of the reason it's so easy to get good RBs (making them less valuable) is because the best athletes are disproportionately filtered into the runningback spot at the lower levels...high school and park ball even. A coach sees a really standout athlete...he's gonna stick him at runningback, not cornerback. That's also part of why cornerbacks are the least talented skill position players and it's hard to get a good one. Forte may be great, but is Faulk right to suggest basically caving in to his agent because he's worth it? Last season was Forte's first season averaging over 4ypc. It makes good business sense to make sure that you're not paying clearly more than he'd get in the open market.

That said, I really like what I've been seeing of Forte in his games this year and last. And we've got enough problem positions. Having other positions locked up and taken care of long term is necessary so you can more effectively target the biggest needs.