Postgame Thoughts

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Cutler has to play better against Philly if they want a big win there. He had a lot of passes that were iffy.

2. Roy Williams is starting to play better. That's a great sign. It was good to see Knox get involved today also.

3. It's now evident more than ever that J'Marcus Webb is the weak link on the OL. Everyone on the OL had a decent game except for him. He gets beat way too much.

4. The Bears got some pressure from the front 4, but it was never overwhelming. Does Henry Melton even play for the Bears anymore? Jesus. And where the f*** was Paea today? I barely noticed him.

5. Martz needs to get his head out of his ass. Stop throwing when you're up 10 in the 4th, asshole.

6. The Eagles game on MNF will be tough. I fully expect they'll run the ball a lot. Philly's run D is awful.

7. It was good to see the D get some picks today. Chris Conte has been a surprise so far, too.

I think hopefully after the BYE Carimi moves to Left Tackle. Webb is terrible. everyone else seems to be improving at least somewhat..

Its hard to say. Carimi really isn't the greatest pass protector-- He's probably average in that category. His specialty is in run blocking and that's generally what most RT's are best at. I'd keep him where he's at, atleast for this season and then re-evaluate him after the season.

Its hard to say. Carimi really isn't the greatest pass protector-- He's probably average in that category. His specialty is in run blocking and that's generally what most RT's are best at. I'd keep him where he's at, atleast for this season and then re-evaluate him after the season.

So who comes out then?

Guest TerraTor
Yeah, I think your first round pick needs to be in there unless he's obviously not ready.

Either way better than Webb... he doesnt have a chance against edge rushers

1. Cutler has to play better against Philly if they want a big win there. He had a lot of passes that were iffy.

2. Roy Williams is starting to play better. That's a great sign. It was good to see Knox get involved today also.

3. It's now evident more than ever that J'Marcus Webb is the weak link on the OL. Everyone on the OL had a decent game except for him. He gets beat way too much.

4. The Bears got some pressure from the front 4, but it was never overwhelming. Does Henry Melton even play for the Bears anymore? Jesus. And where the f*** was Paea today? I barely noticed him.

5. Martz needs to get his head out of his ass. Stop throwing when you're up 10 in the 4th, asshole.

6. The Eagles game on MNF will be tough. I fully expect they'll run the ball a lot. Philly's run D is awful.

7. It was good to see the D get some picks today. Chris Conte has been a surprise so far, too.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Been saying it for a while

4. Agreed.

5. Gimme a freaking break. Dude can't call runs 100% of the time. The OL is too weak to do so. That was plainly obvious from the run-after-run-after-run stuffed by the Bucs because they KNEW the run was coming.

6. Agreed.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

4. Agreed.

5. Gimme a freaking break. Dude can't call runs 100% of the time. The OL is too weak to do so. That was plainly obvious from the run-after-run-after-run stuffed by the Bucs because they KNEW the run was coming.

6. Agreed.

The OL wasn't weak enough for Forte to run for 145 yards using predominently tosses, sweeps, and counters. Why would an OC go away from what's working, especially if what's working helps run out the clock when you're murdering the opposing team? I'm not saying 100% of the time, but my lord, 80% of the time would be fine with me, and when he does call a throw, it should be WR or RB screens, quick slants, etc. None of that down the field BS. What would getting down the field do for the Bears up 16 with 10 minutes to go?

What would getting down the field do for the Bears up 16 with 10 minutes to go?

Now lets remember one thing though...Tampa Bay has repeatedly proven over the last 2-3 years that they are a 4th quarter comeback team. They almost did it to the Bears...they do this regularly. The extra 7 would have been really nice.

Now lets remember one thing though...Tampa Bay has repeatedly proven over the last 2-3 years that they are a 4th quarter comeback team. They almost did it to the Bears...they do this regularly. The extra 7 would have been really nice.

This near comeback was strictly based on turnovers(Ints) and suspect play calling.Once the Bears were up by 16 the run calls moved between the tackles.The pass plays with what looked like one receivers routes also limit the QBs abilty to have check downs.When the Bears built the lead in the first half they were destroying the edges especially the offensive right and defensive left. I thought Lance Louis and Chris Spencer had outstanding games. On almost every big run both of those two had either key blocks to seal the edge or open up a lane to run through.

The suspect play calling on defense was when Marinelli continued to bring extra rusher when it seemed obvious that Tampa was isolating their TE one onone against the Bears safeties and they were catching safeties matched up against their WRs. Two plays, the Winslow TD and Briscoe both were against Conte and Harris. The Bears for most of the first half and part of the 3rd qtr controlled the game but the two coordinators almost gift wrapped the game for the Bucs.

The OL wasn't weak enough for Forte to run for 145 yards using predominently tosses, sweeps, and counters. Why would an OC go away from what's working, especially if what's working helps run out the clock when you're murdering the opposing team? I'm not saying 100% of the time, but my lord, 80% of the time would be fine with me, and when he does call a throw, it should be WR or RB screens, quick slants, etc. None of that down the field BS. What would getting down the field do for the Bears up 16 with 10 minutes to go?

First half vs. Second half. He had 80 yards in the 1st Quarter (until the safety) and another 30 in the 2nd Quarter! The OL was doing much better run-blocking in the first half.

By my count

Total - R:14, P:20

A little pass-heavy, but not egregiously so.

YPC in the rushing game:

14 carries for 40 yards: 2.85 YPC (with Hester's end around)

13 carries for 46 yards: 3.53 YPC (without Hester's end around)

A little deeper and we see

One carry for -6 yards

Two carries for -3 yards each

Two carries for 0 yards each

Two carries for 1 yard each

One carry for 3 yards

In a world that requires 4YPC for a first down to happen (unless you go for it on 4th down), that makes 8 carries out of 14 that didn't meet the requirement. And if you take away Hester's trick play, it's still over 50% at 7 out of 13.

On top of that, there were the following scenarios:

3rd & 9 - Mandatory Passing Down

2nd & 16 - Mandatory Passing Down

On top of that...

Cutler was having pretty good success in the second half, throwing for 127yards and several completions over 10 yards.

================================================================================

==========================

The point is, you can't just say, "Oh, Martz shouldn't be calling passes!" when there is still plenty of time in the game. It's ignorant and elementary. The run game is often used to set up the passing game. Something obviously changed in the second half - whether it be the Bears' OL getting gassed or the Bucs making a run-defense adjustment.

lol, I said the same thing when they were about to score and he spread everybody out for three passes. Then he got bailed out by the bucs and still couldn't score.

But hey, he is a genius, right? Its funny, but the only time they have success is when he runs the opposite of what his "offense" dictates.

The announcers were wondering why he went away from the first half plan too.

First half vs. Second half. He had 80 yards in the 1st Quarter (until the safety) and another 30 in the 2nd Quarter! The OL was doing much better run-blocking in the first half.

The point is, you can't just say, "Oh, Martz shouldn't be calling passes!" when there is still plenty of time in the game. It's ignorant and elementary. The run game is often used to set up the passing game. Something obviously changed in the second half - whether it be the Bears' OL getting gassed or the Bucs making a run-defense adjustment.

I'd guess that the Bucs went into "Stop the run at all costs" mode early in the 2nd half.

When you're up 16, 2nd and 16 isn't exactly mandatory. All of us have seen game after game where 2nd and 16 and 3rd and 16 are perfect downs to run draws and perhaps catch the defense sleeping. We'll agree to disagree, but just because running the ball up the middle isn't working doesn't mean they can't try anymore to the left or right on sweeps and tosses.

It seems like postgame the players were defending the playcalling, but here's Biggs' take:

The Bears were up 21-18 and had first-and-goal at the Bucs’ 4-yard line with 3:52 remaining. Three run plays there and they have a shot at punching it in the end zone or forcing Tampa to start burning through its timeouts.

When you're up 16, 2nd and 16 isn't exactly mandatory. All of us have seen game after game where 2nd and 16 and 3rd and 16 are perfect downs to run draws and perhaps catch the defense sleeping. We'll agree to disagree, but just because running the ball up the middle isn't working doesn't mean they can't try anymore to the left or right on sweeps and tosses.

It seems like postgame the players were defending the playcalling, but here's Biggs' take:

Its just the same as we have seen in the past. He will work towards things that work when sat down and talked to, but then there comes a point where he has to prove how smart he is and out think himself.

Its just that uncertainty that gets annoying.

1. Agreed. Cutler admitted to having an off game. Hopefully, the time off can help him hone it a bit.

2. Agreed. Roy still had a drop...but he made up for it. Maybe he can get it going to continue to contribute weekly.

3. Yeah, Webb did not impress me. I think the staff needs to re-think hom, as minimum for next season.

4. See #3 above...another coaching love, but Melton has only shown up in one game all year. I think the experiment should be over. I have no issue brining him in to sub. But, now with Wootton coming back, he should see far less time. I didn't see Paea either...

5. BINGO! I was screaming at my TV yesterday. Why do we alwys get pass happy when things are going well running? We did it last year when we played GB twice. We almost blew it yesterday. The entire goal line debacle killed me... Martz need to go after this season. He will break our hearts sometime later this season. Listen to me now, believe me later.

6. Agreed. Philly is much better than their record.

7. Agreed. Conte could be a real pleasant surprise. Was it me, or does Chris Harris look really slow? He just is not moving fast in pass coverage...

5. The problem wasn't that a run was called. It was what kind of run. I barely saw the FB in any package in the 2nd half. Then is was all rush up the middle w/o a lead blocker. The results were as what one would expect. We rarely went outside and arely had a blocking FB. Good teams wear down bad ones. Even if thery new the run was coming, it still eats clock, you can still break one, and we all know the kind of results that happen when Martz gets pass happy... Balance. We had it in the 1st half. Lacked in in the 2nd. The results of which speak for themselves.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

4. Agreed.

6. Agreed.

Well put!

This near comeback was strictly based on turnovers(Ints) and suspect play calling.Once the Bears were up by 16 the run calls moved between the tackles.The pass plays with what looked like one receivers routes also limit the QBs abilty to have check downs.When the Bears built the lead in the first half they were destroying the edges especially the offensive right and defensive left. I thought Lance Louis and Chris Spencer had outstanding games. On almost every big run both of those two had either key blocks to seal the edge or open up a lane to run through.

The suspect play calling on defense was when Marinelli continued to bring extra rusher when it seemed obvious that Tampa was isolating their TE one onone against the Bears safeties and they were catching safeties matched up against their WRs. Two plays, the Winslow TD and Briscoe both were against Conte and Harris. The Bears for most of the first half and part of the 3rd qtr controlled the game but the two coordinators almost gift wrapped the game for the Bucs.

Looking at the standings, I do believe if the playoffs started next weekend, Detroit and the Bears would be the two wildcard teams. At this moment, our competition for the second wildcard slot is TB and Atlanta (who are also 4-3)...we beat them both heads up. Take that for what it's worth.

http://www.nfl.com/standings

As an aside, Green Bay is getting on my nerves...barely beating a team we just destroyed to nevertheless move on to a 7-0 record.