Conte placed on IR

balta1701-A

Rookie Chris Conte was placed on injured reserve Monday with a foot/ankle injury. Conte suffered the injury during Sunday's 38-14 loss to the Seahawks.

It leaves the Bears with just three healthy safeties in Craig Steltz, Brandon Meriweather and rookie Winston Venable. Major Wright has missed the last two games with a shoulder sprain, although he could return to action this week.

Steltz and Meriweather may start Sunday at Green Bay, depending on Wright's status. The same pair started during a Week 3 loss to the Packers at Soldier Field.

The Bears have used seven starting safety combinations, but Steltz said communication hasn't been a problem despite the different lineups.

"We're all pretty close in terms of communications," Steltz said, "and we just have to continue to work on that."

For starters: Just as he remained coy about the quarterback situation, coach Lovie Smith wouldn't reveal any other possible lineup changes this week.

It will be interesting to see if Zack Bowman gets the start at Green Bay after Tim Jennings struggled versus the Seahawks. Remember, Bowman lost his starting cornerback job to Jennings after missing a tackle against the Packers last season at Soldier Field.

Link. If it weren't for about 7 other injuries, this would be a big deal.

WTF - Why do the football gods hate the Bears so much? Other teams have injuries as well, but I'm sick of seeing the people who do well have injuries. Notice that none of the really bad players seem to be injured. I would gladly put Omiyale on IR in place of anyone else.

So true! So frustrating!

Although we did seem to have all the luck last year...barring a few games and the finale.

I'm convinced we are cursed ever since the McCaskeys got rid of the Honey Bears...

WTF - Why do the football gods hate the Bears so much? Other teams have injuries as well, but I'm sick of seeing the people who do well have injuries. Notice that none of the really bad players seem to be injured. I would gladly put Omiyale on IR in place of anyone else.

Guest TerraTor

Sucks for him. He was developing in coverage. Couldnt make a one-on-one tackle though. And yes Meriweather is an idiot. He reminds of how Madden cheats when ur defenders are nowhere near where they should be.

I am still convinced we need a true S in the draft. When Mike Brown was playing (healthy) he patrolled the field. Nobody looked bad

Sucks for him. He was developing in coverage. Couldnt make a one-on-one tackle though. And yes Meriweather is an idiot. He reminds of how Madden cheats when ur defenders are nowhere near where they should be.

I am still convinced we need a true S in the draft. When Mike Brown was playing (healthy) he patrolled the field. Nobody looked bad

In this defense, a All Pro FS is a MUST. Mike Brown was one of the best ball hawking safeties of his time. It was unfortunate that he couldn't stay healthy. We probably win the Superbowl with him and Tommie Harris healthy for the postseason.