Emery's System

Pixote

I am sure some have read this article on the Sun-Tmes website, but for those who have not you might want to check it out.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...c-approach.html

It basically explains differences on how players are graded in the system Emery uses, an off-shoot of the "Patriot Approach"

It will probably come into play with how he selects players not only in FA but the draft.

You can certainly see how his FA this season was effected by his past experiences with this system. Basically, he wanted to go into the draft without huge needs making him select a players for need instead of BPA.

I suspect that is exactly what we are going to see, BPA, regardless of need, and if it happens the BPA is a need, all the better.

I am sure some have read this article on the Sun-Tmes website, but for those who have not you might want to check it out.

It basically explains differences on how players are graded in the system Emery uses, an off-shoot of the "Patriot Approach"

It will probably come into play with how he selects players not only in FA but the draft.

You can certainly see how his FA this season was effected by his past experiences with this system. Basically, he wanted to go into the draft without huge needs making him select a players for need instead of BPA.

I suspect that is exactly what we are going to see, BPA, regardless of need, and if it happens the BPA is a need, all the better.

I read that one too. Its a good read.

I read that one too. Its a good read.

Call me a ball buster but Jim Finks 1975 draft produced 9 starters out of 17 picks, what was his grading system?Who in the league now evaluates talent like he did? From the mid 60's to his days with the Saints in late 80's he was a master IMO. Our 75 draft yielded: Payton ,Mike Hartenstine,Virgil Livers, Revie Sorey, Bob Avellini Tom Hicks ,Doug Plank and Roland Harper. These guys were all starters on that 77 break the playoff drought team.

I am not saying this "system" he uses is the only good system, but very interesting in concept and certainly can be successful is implemented correctly.

Jim Finks was one of the best GMs of all time, he had a great ability to evaluate players. If I am not mistaken, he is in the HOF due to his work.

I am not saying this "system" he uses is the only good system, but very interesting in concept and certainly can be successful is implemented correctly.

Jim Finks was one of the best GMs of all time, he had a great ability to evaluate players. If I am not mistaken, he is in the HOF due to his work.

I know that and hope that I didn't come across as going against your post but,I basically was kind of poking fun with the Patriot way since they haven't won a SB since the early part of this decade.Most of these so called systems work when a franchise happens to have a HOF player fall into their lap. The Patriot way hasn't worked since Cory Dillon from another team's way came to them via FA.I personally think the packer way isn't bad but they just didn't make it to the SB as the only team to go 15 and 1 in NFL history.Yes they both have been in the playoffs consistently but,I want to see a SB winner.

Good article. I've been reading the book War Room by Michael Connelly. It focuses on the Bellichick and his years with the Patriots. There's a pattern of:

1. In terms of the draft, quantity over quality

2. Drafting high character players that fit what you want to do

3. Cutting real good players as soon as you realize their production is slipping, and their output does not equal their pay.

Based on this, it wouldn't be surprising if Emery traded down to stockpile picks.

Call me a ball buster but Jim Finks 1975 draft produced 9 starters out of 17 picks, what was his grading system?Who in the league now evaluates talent like he did? From the mid 60's to his days with the Saints in late 80's he was a master IMO. Our 75 draft yielded: Payton ,Mike Hartenstine,Virgil Livers, Revie Sorey, Bob Avellini Tom Hicks ,Doug Plank and Roland Harper. These guys were all starters on that 77 break the playoff drought team.

Maybe it is not so much the system you use but the scores you give out within that system. Give out "good" scores to Jarron Gilbert in any system and he's still a bust. That is something that caught my eye in the article. Emery could have gone out and said use this new grading system for this draft but he didn't. He allowed the scouts and team personnel to stay with the same system they understood but injected his values within that scheme.

Rather than having his team focused on learning a new system they simply had to just adjust scoring in the existing system based on feedback from the boss. Something that is much easier to adjust to, and likely provides more accurate results on short notice, rather than the complete overhaul that is coming. Once this is complete this summer he will be instituting his system. Why the difference? Because it appears to me that Emery wants to teach them more than just how to use the scoring system, it's about how to properly grade prospects among the various attributes.

I think this was a smart approach given the short and very busy time he had to get things all lined up and should give more accurate results this draft in terms of everyone being on the same page.

Maybe it is not so much the system you use but the scores you give out within that system. Give out "good" scores to Jarron Gilbert in any system and he's still a bust. That is something that caught my eye in the article. Emery could have gone out and said use this new grading system for this draft but he didn't. He allowed the scouts and team personnel to stay with the same system they understood but injected his values within that scheme.

Rather than having his team focused on learning a new system they simply had to just adjust scoring in the existing system based on feedback from the boss. Something that is much easier to adjust to, and likely provides more accurate results on short notice, rather than the complete overhaul that is coming. Once this is complete this summer he will be instituting his system. Why the difference? Because it appears to me that Emery wants to teach them more than just how to use the scoring system, it's about how to properly grade prospects among the various attributes.

I think this was a smart approach given the short and very busy time he had to get things all lined up and should give more accurate results this draft in terms of everyone being on the same page.

Since he got here after the season there was nothing he could do in that regard of implementing his value system right now, don't be surprised if some personnel moves are made shortly after the draft. When you have scouts out in the field during the college season and you show up after they have done most of their evaluations and are preparing for the Combine, what can you do to change their minds at that time? You have come in to an organization that has told you that you have to accept the current HC for one more year so you know that he didn't have much say with the scouting staff that was in place when he arrived.

Since he got here after the season there was nothing he could do in that regard of implementing his value system right now, don't be surprised if some personnel moves are made shortly after the draft. When you have scouts out in the field during the college season and you show up after they have done most of their evaluations and are preparing for the Combine, what can you do to change their minds at that time? You have come in to an organization that has told you that you have to accept the current HC for one more year so you know that he didn't have much say with the scouting staff that was in place when he arrived.

I disagree, I think he could have canned the entire scouting staff if he wanted to, just because he has to accept Lovie for one more year (which I personally do not see as a negative) does not mean he has no power over his scouts. However, that said, at this point in the year it would be foolish to make changes until after the draft. I suspect he will do so in preparations for next years draft shortly after this years draft.

I disagree, I think he could have canned the entire scouting staff if he wanted to, just because he has to accept Lovie for one more year (which I personally do not see as a negative) does not mean he has no power over his scouts. However, that said, at this point in the year it would be foolish to make changes until after the draft. I suspect he will do so in preparations for next years draft shortly after this years draft.

I agree that he has the ability to fire them if he wants. However, it's all about timing. The scouting year runs from draft to draft. If Emery fired them all, he would have no ability to replace them until after the draft anyway when scout contracts expire.

I agree that he has the ability to fire them if he wants. However, it's all about timing. The scouting year runs from draft to draft. If Emery fired them all, he would have no ability to replace them until after the draft anyway when scout contracts expire.

Exactly, the scouting prep for this years draft had pretty much been completed by the time he came in, I am sure he is anxious to get "his staff" using "his grading system" in place asap AFTER the draft. This years draft may be a bit more difficult for him as he will be trying to extract info from the scouting reports based on a different grading system used by JA. I am sure he can handle this little "glitch" just fine.