Chicago Bears @ Houston Texans, 11/11/12

balta1701-A

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bad to waste a performance like this from the offensive line. That was their best game yet.

My impressions:

- Cutler was bad. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad all around. Everybody says he excels when he has time, well where was it? Jury is still out on whether or not he has it in him to lead us to a Superbowl. I was hoping to see how he'd respond against these two tough teams coming up, and now it looks like we still won't know..

- Forte sucked. The next time he breaks a tackle will be his first.

- Marshall was mostly good, but a little bad. Can't drop a touchdown in the endzone like that. That play was huge.

- Cambell didn't look like he had anything in him. Constantly looking for the check down when we were in situations where we needed to get the ball down the field

- Defense wasn't perfect, but certainly played well enough to secure a win. 13 points should not be enough to win a football game. This loss falls on the offense, point blank.

The Bears D negated those 4 turn overs. Houston's offense scored 3 points off of them and the Bears D set up the offense for their first field gal. The offense was just bad, turn overs or not.

True, but if the offense turns if over 4 times, chances are you are going to lose. Also, the offense didn't capitalize on the 2 Jennings INTs.

True, but if the offense turns if over 4 times, chances are you are going to lose. Also, the offense didn't capitalize on the 2 Jennings INTs.

Yea I know, not usually. I was just trying to make the point that even with turn overs, the defense played so great we could have got past that. The offense was just that bad. I know the weather was bad, Houston has a really good D, and Campbell hasn't practiced with the starters, but this offense should have done a lot better with the field position that the D and special teams had, and the D making up for every turn over the O had. Great game by the D tonight, and the O was non existent.

It's bad to waste a performance like this from the offensive line. That was their best game yet.

i have to disagree or maybe not depending upon what their "best game yet" would compare to. other than 2 or 3 runs over right tackle/guard the offensive line did nearly nothing to create holes for our backs to run through. it was like a scrum on the LOS. when the qb has more rushing yards than both of your backs for an entire half that is not good.

how good was our pass protection? it is unknown.

1. the field conditions were so poor it nearly negated the pass rush on both sides to about 3/4 speed. it was slowed down considerably for both teams.

2. if doug and OB were correct, the texans were missing 3 key starters on defense. our offensive line SHOULD have done well pass protecting. they also should have done well run blocking.

3. if i'm not mistaken our left guard had two penalties, a motion penalty and a holding penalty. our right tackle had at least one drive ending holding penalty. i saw webb make at least one horrible play blocking on a run over left guard. instead of drive blocking his man out of the play he stood there upright thinking his job was done and watching the dt spin and tackle our running back that just went through the hole. these are mental mistakes that should not exist by game 10.

4. we max protected quite a bit.

My impressions:

- Cutler was bad. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad all around. Everybody says he excels when he has time, well where was it? Jury is still out on whether or not he has it in him to lead us to a Superbowl. I was hoping to see how he'd respond against these two tough teams coming up, and now it looks like we still won't know..

i have to agree cutler did and has looked bad throughout the season in the first half. that leads me to ask... why? why are we coming out so cold in the first half game after game after game? is it preparation/practice? game plan? this has to fall on the coaching staff for this long of a period of time. either the game plans are flawed or our practices are a complete waste of time.

obviously the superbowl taught lovie nothing about how an offense should play in inclement weather. tonight... the field is slop, it is raining hard and we have our qb throw multiple deep routes downfield? if you look at our completion percentage on long balls even in optimum field conditions it is dismal. the crap they played in tonight there is no way the timing on these routes gives you any reasonable chance for it to work. it's just plain stupid. a waste of critical downs.

what did work? SLANTS!! and how many times did we use them? once? twice? what would have given us the optimum chance of a working passing attack in this weather? short passes AND intermediate deep pass plays of 12-15 yards to open up our running game and get the 8 in the box to back off. maybe work these off of play action? hmmmm. the advantage was to the receiver tonight as the footing was bad yet we never capitalized on it.

how many games is this coaching staff going to send out our TE's in passing routes when they have proven multiple times they are NOT reliable. can anyone here understand why clutts is cut and we give davis a new contract? how many times are we going to give hester these critical chances in our passing game? he is like the TE's, inconsistant. these dropped balls are drive killers.

Forte sucked. The next time he breaks a tackle will be his first.

we have to open lanes for our backs to go through and we just are not doing it. add this to the fact they are stacking the box against us and barry sanders couldn't squirm his way through the mass of bodies the entire length of the OL.

Marshall was mostly good, but a little bad. Can't drop a touchdown in the endzone like that. That play was huge.

agree he does have lapses but that has been true throughout his career. what he does bring is a guy who, unlike the rest of this offense, has the desire to make the plays and give it all for that extra yard. he fights for every ball and is smart enough to know when to play defense on poor throws. afterall, he is double teamed consistently and still is our best receiver by a mile.

Cambell didn't look like he had anything in him. Constantly looking for the check down when we were in situations where we needed to get the ball down the field

i don't think i could have been more amazed by this guys performance tonight. we gave this guy the money that SHOULD have gone to a guard or tackle and for what? haney couldn't have looked worse than cambell tonight. it was abysmal to say the least. these dink and dunk 1 and 2 yard passes at crunch time are mindboggling. he looked like he has never played a down in the nfl. STRIKE TWO EMERY!!

this stuff has to fall directly on our coaches and how they prepare these players for gametime. this is our turf and we should know how to play on it no matter what the conditions are better than some warm weather team that plays in a dome.

this stuff has to fall directly on our coaches and how they prepare these players for gametime. this is our turf and we should know how to play on it no matter what the conditions are better than some warm weather team that plays in a dome.

This one was bothering me a lot. On the first page of this thread, there are people days in advance saying "Its going to rain the whole game". How can your guys be so unprepared for wet footballs compared to the other team?

This one was bothering me a lot. On the first page of this thread, there are people days in advance saying "Its going to rain the whole game". How can your guys be so unprepared for wet footballs compared to the other team?

I agree, the forecast did not change for the last week, everyone knew it was going to be nasty.

You're picking nits with the offensive line. They played extremely well, especially in pass protection. They have a guy named JJ Watt, who's pretty good. Was his named called at all last night? They doubled him well enough to where they left Jamarcus alone with Barwin most of the game, and he held up well. The run blocking wasn't as bad as it looked. Forte had a horrendously poor game yesterday. There were cut backs that he missed all night long. Was it their best run blocking performance? I don't know. But Forte had a lot to do with it. Like I said, if he's not seeing the cutbacks, the guy goes down on first contact more than any other starting RB that I can recall.

With that said, now next week they'll probably do everything wrong and put everybody on suicide watch against the 49'ers.

You're picking nits with the offensive line. They played extremely well, especially in pass protection. They have a guy named JJ Watt, who's pretty good. Was his named called at all last night? They doubled him well enough to where they left Jamarcus alone with Barwin most of the game, and he held up well. The run blocking wasn't as bad as it looked. Forte had a horrendously poor game yesterday. There were cut backs that he missed all night long. Was it their best run blocking performance? I don't know. But Forte had a lot to do with it. Like I said, if he's not seeing the cutbacks, the guy goes down on first contact more than any other starting RB that I can recall.

With that said, now next week they'll probably do everything wrong and put everybody on suicide watch against the 49'ers.

Here's the problem with calling Forte out for"missing cutbacks"...that field surface couldn't endure cutbacks. If he tried to cut back, he was going to fall half the time. How you deal with that? You need to be able to open up holes straight ahead, which I didn't see the line able to do, and you need to be able to open a slow-developing toss sweep to the outside, where the cuts aren't sharp.

That's one area where I'd say the Texans outplayed the bears, they were able to open up those routes and clear space, even with Foster falling down a few times.

Yep, not going to win when you give it away 4 times.

Final score was 13-6. Our D is still awesome. Now, can the O please appear? And I'm hoping Jeffery gets back soon. Hester just is not a WR, that or the coaches just can't get him the ball in open space. Then again, he doesn't have clutch hand either as a WR.

Final score was 13-6. Our D is still awesome. Now, can the O please appear? And I'm hoping Jeffery gets back soon. Hester just is not a WR, that or the coaches just can't get him the ball in open space. Then again, he doesn't have clutch hand either as a WR.

Hester had the ball hit off his hands on the deep ball at least twice that I saw. At least one of those should have been caught by a reasonable WR. They weren't completely wide open, but they weren't uncatchable by any means.

You're picking nits with the offensive line. They played extremely well, especially in pass protection. They have a guy named JJ Watt, who's pretty good. Was his named called at all last night? They doubled him well enough to where they left Jamarcus alone with Barwin most of the game, and he held up well.

nit picking? no, they did not play extremely well. at best they MAY have played average. see my post in earlier in this game thread. the texans were short 3 defensive key starters, jj watt was getting doubled up with help from our TE’s and RB’s. webb again was average at best. he also was getting some help at times and some other times tried using the good ole headlock block or just plain watching the DE pivot around him. how many penalties did we stall drives on created by our offensive line?

the conditions were not ideal for the pass rush to state it mildly. our running game was non-existant with nearly NO holes opened up by the OL for our backs to squeeze through a crease. so how is that considered extremely well? that cutler wasn’t sacked 6 times in the first half in a sea of mud?

The run blocking wasn't as bad as it looked. Forte had a horrendously poor game yesterday. There were cut backs that he missed all night long. Was it their best run blocking performance? I don't know. But Forte had a lot to do with it. Like I said, if he's not seeing the cutbacks, the guy goes down on first contact more than any other starting RB that I can recall.

really? the first half we rushed for 23 total yards? if that’s not bad just how bad IS bad then? didn’t you see the pile up at the LOS nearly every running down? forte would need a pole vault pole to get over the fatties!! nobody was getting cuts of any kind in that slop. that’s why bush was the better horse in the mud.

here is the first half play by play… read it and weep:

quarter #1

1st possession -

pass to davis - fumble

2nd possession...

forte over left guard 2yds

pass to bennett 9yds

forte over left tackle 2 yds

pass play and cutler scrambles for 7 yds

3rd and 1 and they call a pass play to hester who completes it for >0

4th down - bush for 11 yds and fumbles at the 27 yard line of houston

3rd possession...

short pass to marshall 14 yds

forte over right tackle 1 yd

pass deep right to davis - intercepted

END 1st quarter 16 YARDS RUSHING in 4 attempts by our RB’s - 7 yds by our QB scrambling – 4 short to intermediate depth passes w/ 4 completions. 1 deep pass intercepted

quarter #2

1st possession...

forte right tackle 4 yds

forte right end 1 yd

pass – deep to marshall incomplete

51 yd FG

2nd possession...

pass deep right to hester incomplete

pass short left to marshall 7yds

pass incomplete deep left to hester

punt

3rd possession...

forte over right tackle 2 yds

forte over right end -1 yd

pass short middle to hester who runs for 42 yds. penalty on cutler for LOS violation. cheap shot by texans offset penalty. CONCUSSION for our QB thanks to the linebacking thug on the texans.

pass - cutler scrambles through left guard hole for a concussed 11 yds

2 minute warning

pass short right to forte no gain

pass short left to marshall INT

4th possession... 51 seconds in half from their own 21

cutler scrambles through LG hole for 19 yds.

NOTE: a pattern emerges when cutler is concussed. he runs a LOT and rarely slides. his decision making abilities AND depth perception in passing plays suffers GREATLY. is this a real surprise to ANYONE?

pass from our own 40 incomplete deep middle to forte 25 seconds in half

pass short left to hester 4 yds

END 2ND QUARTER 4 rushing attempts for 7 yds rushing by our RB’s – 11 yd scramble by the QB – 4 deep passes with >0

END HALF - total 23 yds rushing by our backs with 8 attempts - cutler 26 yds rushing with 16 passing attempts including his scrambles.

anybody see the pattern? in this garbage field conditions of mud and pouring rain for an entire half we gameplanned 8 running plays vs. 16 passing plays. 5 of these passes were deep routes. bush our big bruising back who is a better mudder than the lighter forte and should do better in a stacked box in straight ahead running gets one carry. genius!!

anybody see the pattern? in this garbage field conditions of mud and pouring rain for an entire half we gameplanned 8 running plays vs. 10 passing plays. ½ of these passes were deep routes. bush our big bruising back who is a better mudder than the lighter forte and should do better in a stacked box in straight ahead running gets one carry. genius!!

To be fair...Bush would have been a good fit to try here, but he did fumble his first carry. Perhaps they just had no confidence in him in those conditions?

To be fair...Bush would have been a good fit to try here, but he did fumble his first carry. Perhaps they just had no confidence in him in those conditions?

i see your point but... lovie seems to have a doghouse for specific players. if we benched marshall for every dropped ball or cutler for every INT we wouldn't win a game. sure i was crying when bush fumbled but in real football you send the guy back out to regain lost confidence and prove it wasn't a fluke. if it happens again then rethink your position.

in my opinion bush has really lived up to his price tag and one fumble in a night like last night just is not enough evidence to bench him especially when he gives you the best chance to win the game.

if he really was benched because of the fumble it is just another nail in our coaching staffs coffin as to why they don't deserve to coach here in chicago.

EDIT: sorry i just had to add this... how long ago would webb have been riding the pine if we benched him for getting cutler sacked? LOL

nit picking?

Yes, that's exactly what you are doing. Also, newsflash-- EVERY team in the NFL chips and double teams dominant pass rushers in this league. This is not a new development or concept for what an offensive line does in game situations. Did the Texans not try and double team Julius Peppers last night?

They played their best game of the season last night. I thought Carimi really stepped up after two awful back to back performances from the weeks prior. The quarterbacks had all day to throw. The run blocking, like I said was not nearly as bad as it looked. I thought Forte just simply had a bad game. Michael Bush didn't seem to have much of a problem getting yards.

The texans were short 3 defensive key starters, jj watt was getting doubled up with help from our TE’s and RB’s. webb again was average at best. he also was getting some help at times and some other times tried using the good ole headlock block or just plain watching the DE pivot around him. how many penalties did we stall drives on created by our offensive line?

So in your eyes, no matter what the offensive line did last night, it would have automatically been debunked due to the injuries from the other team? What kind of argument is that? We are talking about what happened on the field last night with who was out there. I don't deal in hypotheticals like that because there's just no point to it.

Jamarcus Webb didn't play average, he played very well. His name was not called one time last night for a penalty or for allowing a sack. Not only that, but he was often left by himself because they were double teaming Watt on almost every snap. I was pleasantly surprised with how well he played in pass pro and how they completely took JJ Watt out of the game.