Emery's first year

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Now I want to start this by saying the team still could technically win a championship this year, but losing 4 of the last 5 is no way of gaining momentum to achieve such an accomplishment.

2012 offseason:

TRADE: Marshall

RE-SIGN: Jennings, Idonije

EXTENSIONS: Briggs, Forte

SIGN: Costanzo, Weems, Bush, Campbell, Rachal, Hayes, Wilhite, Hayden

DRAFT: McClellin, Jeffery, Hardin, Rodriguez, Frey, McCoy

I realize it's extremely tough to criticize a draft 8 months after it takes place, but their draft has the potential to go down as horrible. Rodriguez is too small to play TE and so he plays out of position at FB. At the moment, Conte and Wright are solid and Hardin has nowhere to play if he ever gets healthy. Jeffery has shown me a glimmer of potential of being a #2 WR, but he isn't very fast and he's been hurt. McClellin has to bulk up immensely. Frey and McCoy are gone. GRADE: F

So far, the Weems and Costanzo pick-ups have been solid. Special teams isn't exactly sexy so they don't get a lot of credit, but I believe these two lead the team in ST tackles. Bush has been mediocre and Campbell wasn't good in his start, despite getting no OL help. Rachal is a quitter and stunk anyhow. Hayes played average today. Wilhite is long gone and Hayden sucks. GRADE: D+

Obviously, signing Briggs was nice. He's happy now and he's playing well. Forte has been a bit of a bust, and I really hope he's running like he's carrying a truck because his ankle is still bothering him, but it might be a case of "I got paid so f*** it." Regardless, these two needed to stay. GRADE: B-

Keeping Jennings was huge. Idonije is a nice role player but still isn't very good. GRADE: A

Trading for Marshall was huge. No complaints here with the exception of a few drops. GRADE: A+

In summary: Emery's first offseason was good because he kept two guys, signed two to extensions, and traded for one. But this team needed youth and an impactful draft. So far, they haven't gotten that. Their two best FA signings at the time were two guys who have proven to be average in Bush and Campbell. Instead, his 2 best signings are ST players. If he has another offseason in 2013 like he did in 2012, the Bears are in trouble.

Now I want to start this by saying the team still could technically win a championship this year, but losing 4 of the last 5 is no way of gaining momentum to achieve such an accomplishment.

2012 offseason:

TRADE: Marshall

RE-SIGN: Jennings, Idonije

EXTENSIONS: Briggs, Forte

SIGN: Costanzo, Weems, Bush, Campbell, Rachal, Hayes, Wilhite, Hayden

DRAFT: McClellin, Jeffery, Hardin, Rodriguez, Frey, McCoy

I realize it's extremely tough to criticize a draft 8 months after it takes place, but their draft has the potential to go down as horrible. Rodriguez is too small to play TE and so he plays out of position at FB. At the moment, Conte and Wright are solid and Hardin has nowhere to play if he ever gets healthy. Jeffery has shown me a glimmer of potential of being a #2 WR, but he isn't very fast and he's been hurt. McClellin has to bulk up immensely. Frey and McCoy are gone. GRADE: F

So far, the Weems and Costanzo pick-ups have been solid. Special teams isn't exactly sexy so they don't get a lot of credit, but I believe these two lead the team in ST tackles. Bush has been mediocre and Campbell wasn't good in his start, despite getting no OL help. Rachal is a quitter and stunk anyhow. Hayes played average today. Wilhite is long gone and Hayden sucks. GRADE: D+

Obviously, signing Briggs was nice. He's happy now and he's playing well. Forte has been a bit of a bust, and I really hope he's running like he's carrying a truck because his ankle is still bothering him, but it might be a case of "I got paid so f*** it." Regardless, these two needed to stay. GRADE: B-

Keeping Jennings was huge. Idonije is a nice role player but still isn't very good. GRADE: A

Trading for Marshall was huge. No complaints here with the exception of a few drops. GRADE: A+

In summary: Emery's first offseason was good because he kept two guys, signed two to extensions, and traded for one. But this team needed youth and an impactful draft. So far, they haven't gotten that. Their two best FA signings at the time were two guys who have proven to be average in Bush and Campbell. Instead, his 2 best signings are ST players. If he has another offseason in 2013 like he did in 2012, the Bears are in trouble.

I've said it before. Not a fan so far. The Marshall trade was his signature piece, but believe anyone would have made that deal. I liked the Bush signing and that's it for free agents. Signing Briggs and Forte were no brainers as well.

I felt it was idiotic to sign Campbell and the special teamers in lieu of OL.

Also, disagreed with the draft strategy.(made me feel he was a Lovie puppet)

I smelled a rat when they hired him, since he was known at Halas Hall. He was probably the only GM they could find to deal with Lovie. Of course that's all speculative.

All told, we could have done better with another GM. Grade = D

I pretty much agree with both you guys...

Heck, the guy most wanted went ot OAKLAND and has been horrible...to date.

I give Emery a C.

His scouting crew wasn't truly his own. He obviously took Smith's desires and ran with it. He got a capable back-up QB. He brought in Marshall. And we could have a real gem in Jeffrey.

McClellin looks to be a bust. Who knows...can Hardin play LB? Roriquez could end up being a decent FB. We really won't know, but these things don't look promising.

But whiffing on OL is the concern.

I will reall judge himmore this upcoming draft. It's all on him.

If he pawn? Puppet? Jester? Wizard?

I've said it before. Not a fan so far. The Marshall trade was his signature piece, but believe anyone would have made that deal. I liked the Bush signing and that's it for free agents. Signing Briggs and Forte were no brainers as well.

I felt it was idiotic to sign Campbell and the special teamers in lieu of OL.

Also, disagreed with the draft strategy.(made me feel he was a Lovie puppet)

I smelled a rat when they hired him, since he was known at Halas Hall. He was probably the only GM they could find to deal with Lovie. Of course that's all speculative.

All told, we could have done better with another GM. Grade = D