NFL-wide cap usage breakdown

balta1701-A

This is cool enough to share in a few places.

This graphic from the Guardian shows how every team in the NFL has used its cap space, broken down by offense/defense and by position. One could waste a couple hours in this.

Bears spent the 5th most on their offense in the league. Found that interesting.

Hester making more than Matt Forte is hilarious. It's too bad the cap wasn't a simple as cutting Hester, Davis, and Spaeth would open up 12 mill in cap, that's a lot of money for a lot of "dead weight".

Yeah. I remember everyone screamed when JA decided to give Hester #1 type receiver $$ back then. It was atrocious. I think JA was the only person in the world who thought of hester as a #1. Only good thing was that it was front loaded. Maybe it also shows emery is better gm getting forte to sign a better deal than hester and forte will obviously give us a much better return on the investment

Yeah. I remember everyone screamed when JA decided to give Hester #1 type receiver $$ back then. It was atrocious. I think JA was the only person in the world who thought of hester as a #1. Only good thing was that it was front loaded. Maybe it also shows emery is better gm getting forte to sign a better deal than hester and forte will obviously give us a much better return on the investment

People would have screamed a helluva lot more if he had held out through training camp and into the season.

Would it free up that much? I thought it was around half that.

About half indeed. Cutting Hester would free up 2.9, Davis 2.4, and Spaeth 2 Mill, so roughly 7 mill to go along with the roughly 13 mill they already have....Spencer is a FA.

Also worth noting is they have 50 mill in cap room the following year(Cutler,Peanut, Jennings and Wooton are key FAs) so there could be a lot of back loading/restructuring going on.

Guest TerraTor
Hester making more than Matt Forte is hilarious. It's too bad the cap wasn't a simple as cutting Hester, Davis, and Spaeth would open up 12 mill in cap, that's a lot of money for a lot of "dead weight".

Luckily Spaeth and Davis earned their cutting regardless

This is cool enough to share in a few places.

This graphic from the Guardian shows how every team in the NFL has used its cap space, broken down by offense/defense and by position. One could waste a couple hours in this.

Bears spent the 5th most on their offense in the league. Found that interesting.

That sums up nicely why Lovie Smith was fired.

Uh you mean Jerry Angelo? Lovie didn't hand out those contracts.

Maybe not, but he was instrumental in the players' selections, as well as how they were used. So, he got the fifth highest dollar value to play with, and produced a horrible offense. Similar to what Parcells(?) once said, Lovie was allowed to help shop for the groceries AND cook, but dinner was disgusting.

Maybe not, but he was instrumental in the players' selections, as well as how they were used. So, he got the fifth highest dollar value to play with, and produced a horrible offense. Similar to what Parcells(?) once said, Lovie was allowed to help shop for the groceries AND cook, but dinner was disgusting.

Lovies inability to find a competent OC was his downfall. It was never confirmed he was the one "doing all the shopping" but if he was the one responsible for signing offensive guys then thats a fault on someone higher up. You can't allow a defensive guru being "instrumental" in signing offensive players.

20 mill of that 64M was split between 5 players that did virtually nothing Hester, Davis, Spaeth, Cambell, and Spencer....

Uh you mean Jerry Angelo? Lovie didn't hand out those contracts.

Lol, you don't think Lovie was part of those decisions? How many times did he say Hester was a #1 WR? He had to go out of his way to make that statement when everyone else was just hoping he could be an effective #3 or at best #2 WR. Looking back on this and now the stories about weak minded Hester is, it's clear how much Lovie coddled his ego.

How about once Emery came in and then they did the evaluations of personnel? No input there on the Oline and top need for the team, which was clearly stated post draft as adding a pass rusher in Rd 1? Higher need than finding a decent LG instead of relying on Spencer or EWilliams? Chris Williams at LT or LG? Emery is a hard working guy but maybe all that talk about how solid our line was is what Lovie was saying behind closed doors? While the rest of us were busy looking up exactly who SMC was and his highlight films, paramedics were busy reviving Jason.

Then there is the effective, rather ineffective, use of personnel. How many passes did one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL catch in 2012? We can go back to all the hype of Tice's "Hester package" as well here. Quite simply other teams got more out of less talent on their offense. I'm not saying JA had no part of the debacle on offense, he deservedly paid his price. Yet over the years Lovie and his multitude of coordinators have proven he doesn't know offense. We've always thought it was the short leash Lovie was on the last few years causing the lack of OC interest from the last resort selection of Martz to Tice. Perhaps there was a little more to the lack of interest than that. How many horrible offensive game plans have we seen over his tenure where we did NOT attack the opponents weakness? Packers have one the worst run defenses in the NFL but we give Forte the ball 7 or 9 times in a game (going back to the first Packers-Bears game in each 2011 and 2012 season).

I won't claim to know how to fix our offense but after all these years I can say that Lovie didn't have the solution either.

Lol, you don't think Lovie was part of those decisions? How many times did he say Hester was a #1 WR? He had to go out of his way to make that statement when everyone else was just hoping he could be an effective #3 or at best #2 WR. Looking back on this and now the stories about weak minded Hester is, it's clear how much Lovie coddled his ego.

Exactly

How about once Emery came in and then they did the evaluations of personnel? No input there on the Oline and top need for the team, which was clearly stated post draft as adding a pass rusher in Rd 1? Higher need than finding a decent LG instead of relying on Spencer or EWilliams? Chris Williams at LT or LG? Emery is a hard working guy but maybe all that talk about how solid our line was is what Lovie was saying behind closed doors? While the rest of us were busy looking up exactly who SMC was and his highlight films, paramedics were busy reviving Jason.

And I'm still angry about it because it was ignored AGAIN.

Then there is the effective, rather ineffective, use of personnel. How many passes did one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL catch in 2012? We can go back to all the hype of Tice's "Hester package" as well here. Quite simply other teams got more out of less talent on their offense. I'm not saying JA had no part of the debacle on offense, he deservedly paid his price. Yet over the years Lovie and his multitude of coordinators have proven he doesn't know offense. We've always thought it was the short leash Lovie was on the last few years causing the lack of OC interest from the last resort selection of Martz to Tice. Perhaps there was a little more to the lack of interest than that. How many horrible offensive game plans have we seen over his tenure where we did NOT attack the opponents weakness? Packers have one the worst run defenses in the NFL but we give Forte the ball 7 or 9 times in a game (going back to the first Packers-Bears game in each 2011 and 2012 season).

I won't claim to know how to fix our offense but after all these years I can say that Lovie didn't have the solution either.

Preach.

The bold is exactly my point, he brought in guys like Ron Turner who said Hester should be a #1 receiver, Mike Martz who doesn't use a TE, and Mike Tice who liked the line as is.

We're on the same page here really, I agree with everything about the offensive play calling. It all comes back to Lovies inability to bring in a competent OC.

The bold is exactly my point, he brought in guys like Ron Turner who said Hester should be a #1 receiver, Mike Martz who doesn't use a TE, and Mike Tice who liked the line as is.

We're on the same page here really, I agree with everything about the offensive play calling. It all comes back to Lovies inability to bring in a competent OC.

So you think Lovie is at fault for choosing the wrong OCs, but you don't think he's also at fault for choosing the wrong players?

I'm just saying it's convenient if you blame Lovie for selecting the wrong OCs if he also had a big hand in selecting the players that directly led to those OCs doing so poorly.

So you think Lovie is at fault for choosing the wrong OCs, but you don't think he's also at fault for choosing the wrong players?

I'm just saying it's convenient if you blame Lovie for selecting the wrong OCs if he also had a big hand in selecting the players that directly led to those OCs doing so poorly.

Again, if Lovie had a big hand in selecting the offensive players then whoever is allowing him to do so should get the brunt of the blame for allowing him to do so.

From what I'm reading it was Turners idea that Hester was going to be a "#1 WR". It was then Martz that hosed up the TE position, then it was Tice who hosed up the line by saying he was ok with it.

Again, if Lovie had a big hand in selecting the offensive players then whoever is allowing him to do so should get the brunt of the blame for allowing him to do so.

From what I'm reading it was Turners idea that Hester was going to be a "#1 WR". It was then Martz that hosed up the TE position, then it was Tice who hosed up the line by saying he was ok with it.

Dude, there is no if to it. Lovie was, without a doubt, highly instrumental in the selection process for the players.

The link for this thread is exactly why both guys were fired. Both share the blame.

Dude, there is no if to it. Lovie was, without a doubt, highly instrumental in the selection process for the players.

The link for this thread is exactly why both guys were fired. Both share the blame.

Exactl. Its lovies fault for hiring the OCs. Its a combination of JA and Lovie for the selection of players. This is why both are gone. They both failed to bring a championship to town and they had plenty of time to make it work. Sure we made 1 SB and made another conference championship both due to defense. The lack of offensive consistency got them fired