Tice didnt install protections

scs787

I was looking at a 9ers message board in their bears/9ers game thread to see what they had to say and I stumbled upon this....Probably not news but I haven't heard it before.

Doug Farrar:

One of the reasons the Bears' O-line is so weak is that Tice doesn't install protections in the preseason. Minimal prep with calls.

Something tells me this won't happen in the Trestman era.

I was looking at a 9ers message board in their bears/9ers game thread to see what they had to say and I stumbled upon this....Probably not news but I haven't heard it before.

Doug Farrar:

One of the reasons the Bears' O-line is so weak is that Tice doesn't install protections in the preseason. Minimal prep with calls.

Something tells me this won't happen in the Trestman era.

If that's true that's so far beyond dumb. Maybe good thing dude was fired

Doug Farrar works for yahoo sports so he may know a thing or 2....The way the line played it wouldn't surprise me one bit. One thing I think we've learned from Trestman so far is that he will have his team prepared.

If I recall, that is Lovies philosophy. Lovie used preseason to evaluate individuals playing straight forward. No stunts or schemes, but to evaluate the player as if he was on an island. That would mean the lineman blocked the defender without help.

If I recall, that is Lovies philosophy. Lovie used preseason to evaluate individuals playing straight forward. No stunts or schemes, but to evaluate the player as if he was on an island. That would mean the lineman blocked the defender without help.

That's how they kept doing things once the season started too!

Doug Farrar works for yahoo sports so he may know a thing or 2....The way the line played it wouldn't surprise me one bit. One thing I think we've learned from Trestman so far is that he will have his team prepared.

I think he's saying Tice is dumb, not Farrar.

Farrar is pretty good at what he does. This just proves further how incompetent the Bears' offensive coaches were.

More smoke than fire here. The line had a lack of talent. People want the coach to focus on protection schemes in spring training when in fact he should have done just what he did...focus on learning and improving the fundamentals.

That assumes that if a person does A, they can't also do B, which is not true in this case. Tice could have primarily focused on improving fundamentals...AND installed protection schemes. They aren't mutually exclusive, and common sense says he should have been doing at least that much. I don't really believe some non-local sports reporter could know what went on in every practice though, so I take it for what it's worth.

That assumes that if a person does A, they can't also do B, which is not true in this case. Tice could have primarily focused on improving fundamentals...AND installed protection schemes. They aren't mutually exclusive, and common sense says he should have been doing at least that much. I don't really believe some non-local sports reporter could know what went on in every practice though, so I take it for what it's worth.

Likewise you are assuming they couldn't have learned the protections in the preseason. This isn't rocket science and six weeks seems like plenty of time for professionals to learn something like a protection scheme. I suppose they could "learn" schemes while blocking nothing but air in the spring but it's hard to see how effective that is.

I also don't see how a protection scheme had anything to do with Spencer getting blown backwards so quickly on both running and passing downs. Or Carimi getting pushed backwards all season long in pass protection. If anything it's a further indictment of Tice's inability to get his players to learn the fundamentals in blocking. He got fired for that, as he should have.

I think it's a hybrid of your and s7's thoughts. I understand Tice testing his guys ability to block one on one during the preseason, as it offers the ability to know what plays you are capable of running. On the other hand, he had ass talent to work with, so help schemes should have been priority one. While it be easy in theory to learn the different protection scheme, it takes a long time to perfect into practical application. That's why most offenses take at least 2 years to gel. With the turnover in coaching and probable turnover on players, we should expect growing pains. Once we have good OL personnel in place, watch our coaches look like geniuses.