30 for 30

jason

Watched the 30 for 30 episode last night about the 1983 draft. It was very interesting. The Bears ended up with a monster draft that year:

Jimbo Covert

Willie Gault

Mike Richardson

Dave Duerson

Tom Thayer

Richard Dent

Mark Bortz

That's unbelievable. (Four OLinemen drafted that year, BTW).

Little did I know, however, they were briefly in talks with the Raiders for Howie Long and some other guy.

There is a good chance the Bears wouldn't have been able to select Jimbo Covert if the trade were made, and that could have potentially altered the course of the entire draft, but could you imagine if the Bears had simply made the trade (IDK the exact details) and drafted the same way the rest of the draft? It's crazy to think how one move alters the course of a franchise...

-If the Bears make the trade, they now have Howie Long and Dan Hampton at DE

-They might not draft Dent (Hampton made the probowl as a DE in 80 and 82)

-If they felt strongly about Dent, they probably would have moved Hampton inside (he played some DT later on)

-Which would have meant they probably wouldn't draft the Fridge.

Thinking about a DL of Dent, Hampton, McMichael, Long has me starry eyed. They would have probably literally killed a QB or two.

I remember the whole Elway fiasco and how he refused to play for the Colts. I hated him from that day forward. No one should be above the process.

On the Bears, if they got Long, I don't think they would've picked Dent, so they would've never played together, but man would that have been a pair of dominate ends.

I remember the whole Elway fiasco and how he refused to play for the Colts. I hated him from that day forward. No one should be above the process.

On the Bears, if they got Long, I don't think they would've picked Dent, so they would've never played together, but man would that have been a pair of dominate ends.

So wasn't Eli manning who refused to play for the Chargers and made then trade him to the Giants for Rivers?

So wasn't Eli manning who refused to play for the Chargers and made then trade him to the Giants for Rivers?

Yep that is totally how that one went down Manning was going to be the #1 pick IIRC and Sandy Eggo had the first pick, and Manning said he wouldn't play for the Chargers. Thus the Giants and Chargers traded I believe after the picks were made. It was weird and I agree with the earlier post no player should be above the system. It's just the way it works out the higher the pick you are the better the odds of you playing for a team that had a bad season the year before.

Yep that is totally how that one went down Manning was going to be the #1 pick IIRC and Sandy Eggo had the first pick, and Manning said he wouldn't play for the Chargers. Thus the Giants and Chargers traded I believe after the picks were made. It was weird and I agree with the earlier post no player should be above the system. It's just the way it works out the higher the pick you are the better the odds of you playing for a team that had a bad season the year before.

Totally agree, they should be thankful they got selected and shut the hell up. If you do not want to play for the team that drafts you, fine, they should be made to flip burgers for a year and re-enter the draft the next year. Screw them, that is exactly what they are doing to the team that drafts them.

And let me add, if the team that drafts them winds up with the player refusing to play for them, award them an equal pick in the following years draft in compensation.

Watched the 30 for 30 episode last night about the 1983 draft. It was very interesting. The Bears ended up with a monster draft that year:

Jimbo Covert

Willie Gault

Mike Richardson

Dave Duerson

Tom Thayer

Richard Dent

Mark Bortz

That's unbelievable. (Four OLinemen drafted that year, BTW).

Little did I know, however, they were briefly in talks with the Raiders for Howie Long and some other guy.

There is a good chance the Bears wouldn't have been able to select Jimbo Covert if the trade were made, and that could have potentially altered the course of the entire draft, but could you imagine if the Bears had simply made the trade (IDK the exact details) and drafted the same way the rest of the draft? It's crazy to think how one move alters the course of a franchise...

-If the Bears make the trade, they now have Howie Long and Dan Hampton at DE

-They might not draft Dent (Hampton made the probowl as a DE in 80 and 82)

-If they felt strongly about Dent, they probably would have moved Hampton inside (he played some DT later on)

-Which would have meant they probably wouldn't draft the Fridge.

Thinking about a DL of Dent, Hampton, McMichael, Long has me starry eyed. They would have probably literally killed a QB or two.

Bortz was a DT in the draft so it dont count as OL drafted. But 3 is still impressive.

I think a player that threatens something like that, they should be held out for an entire year and then can re-enter the draft the following year. To me, it affects the competitive spirit of the game. It is bad enough with all the money involved, but what happens when 2-3 players start doing it saying they won't sign the contract if drafted? Eli and Elway are in the same boat for me.