Lions @ Bears, 11/10/13

balta1701-A

there were many frustrating things about this game.

It's clear Cutler wasn't 100%, he had a hard time getting anything on his throws. Way too many hit the ground. We should have held Jay out 1 more week and let his body fully heal.

Way too many drops on catchable balls

Sick of watching teams cheep shot us, and take late hits on our QB and no flags. Well we got one, late, but Detroit was doing it all game long. Seemed like every time Jay threw there was a guy taking a shot on him after he released the ball. The hit on Jeffery, after he got up was freaking blatant, refs looking right at it and no call, even if the defender didn't see him go down and get back up (the announcer's excuse for it) his back was turned to the defender isn't that come under the rule of hitting a defenseless receiver???. Opening kickoff Hester is shoved well out of bounds and no flag. Player safety may arse!

This was the most poorly coached game this year, It was clear late in the first half that Jay was not right.... but we kept running him out there. Whether it was him refusing to come out of the game trying to tough it out or not, someone should have made that call to take him out for his own health. Being tough, and trying to play through pain is one thing but when you are hurting your team to do so is another. Jay trying to gut it out hurt the teams chances in a winnable game that would have set us up in a good position to take the division. Instead we blew one, and now are effectively 2 games back of Detroit who has a cupcake schedule going forward.

Perfect end I guess to a sucky weekend. ND blew it vs pitt, my fantasy team is getting beat by the Denver Offense, and the Bears lost a big game, and tomorrow's Monday.... ugg.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll respectfully disagree with you on the first line. However, I totally agree with you on the second paragraph. The Bears are very much in the Wild Card chase now. I do think they most likely just lost the division this week. They are very much alive.

If there is one positive to take away from this game, the defense looked the best they have this year. They really stepped their game up against a very potent offense.

Carolina just won and has the tie-breaker against us. That puts us essentially 2 games back with 7 to play. Is it possible? Sure, but we have to go 6-1 in our last 7 and they have to go 3-4. That goes for the Division or WC since we have lost all tie-breakers. I don't see them or Detroit losing more than 4, so unless we pull a 6-1 miracle, this game was the dagger.

There were two things that happened during the game that you could almost predict before it happened. The Cutler Red zone INT and McCown driving the team down for a TD almost effortlessly. I just wish they would've spread the defense out and allowed McCown to try that 2nd 2pt conversion attempt. Cutting the field in half on the first try was a bad call, and the run into the heart of Detroit's defense on the 2nd attempt was brutal. How about some play action there?

Jay also got most, if not all the 1st team reps, and that entire 1st drive was more than likely scripted. What did he do the rest of the game? Led the team to 2x FG drives (and one of those we actually lost 5 yards), and threw an INT in the endzone that cost the team at least 3 pts. We lost by 2.

It is clear that a McCown-like QB is just better suited for the Trestman system. McCown continues to come in under less than desirable conditions and has excelled. If McCown came in after half, we win by 10 easily. Cutler was clearly hurting and was completely ineffective after that first drive. I applaud him for his effort and grit but that can only get you so far. I would rather save the cap space, let Cutler walk, re-sign McCown, draft a QB early, and allow him to learn the system.

When is a sample size large enough? McCown has now faced 3 different opponents, and had similar results.

You said injured it not, that was the point I was disputing. I still think a healthy Jay Cutler is better than a healthy Josh McCown.

You said injured it not, that was the point I was disputing. I still think a healthy Jay Cutler is better than a healthy Josh McCown.

Depends on how you define better? Cutler has a higher ceiling and has some physical traits over McCown, but that doesn't always equate to success on the field. The system and the ability to adapt and work within the system, be coached, and correct tendencies and weaknesses are also critical. After seeing McCown over the past 3 games, and Cutler in 8, it just seems that McCown is a better fit for the system.

Depends on how you define better? Cutler has a higher ceiling and has some physical traits over McCown, but that doesn't always equate to success on the field. The system and the ability to adapt and work within the system, be coached, and correct tendencies and weaknesses are also critical. After seeing McCown over the past 3 games, and Cutler in 8, it just seems that McCown is a better fit for the system.

We'll see. We haven't seen what a bad day for McCown has looked like just yet. I still believe the sample size is a bit too small. I would have liked to have seen McCown in this game the whole way just to see how he would have responded to the beating Jay was taking.

As you responded to in the other thread, I am somewhat open to moving on to another QB next season but purely for financial reasons. Do I think Josh can lead us to a Super Bowl? No, I don't. Do I think he can lead us to the playoffs? Ya, maybe. I think he's more of an 8-8 type of guy...But if Trestman likes someone in the draft that they can get in the 2nd or 3rd round I wouldn't hate it.

And I also think Jay did make the throws that should of won us that ball game. The 2 balls that Jeffery dropped were right where they should have been and Alshon simply dropped them. If he makes those 2 catches the talks here are totally different.

We'll see. We haven't seen what a bad day for McCown has looked like just yet. I still believe the sample size is a bit too small. I would have liked to have seen McCown in this game the whole way just to see how he would have responded to the beating Jay was taking.

As you responded to in the other thread, I am somewhat open to moving on to another QB next season but purely for financial reasons. Do I think Josh can lead us to a Super Bowl? No, I don't. Do I think he can lead us to the playoffs? Ya, maybe. I think he's more of an 8-8 type of guy...But if Trestman likes someone in the draft that they can get in the 2nd or 3rd round I wouldn't hate it.

I agree, I still feel the sample size is too small, but when is it enough? He essentially has 2 full games worth of attempts, and faced 3 different opponents. Of course he is going to have a bad game, almost every QB does. However, when you compare the price vs the performance, it is hard to argue.

I don't think any QB is taking this current Bears team to the playoffs or SB this year. We literally have to go 6-1 and our schedule seems to have gotten tougher over night. Baltimore's defense is back, STL just shredded IND, MIN is always a threat with AP, DAL is a tough team, Philly is tough at home, and GB with a healthy Rodgers. We will be lucky to beat CLE and split the other 6 going 4-3 to finish 9-7 and a game or two out of the WC and Division.

What about McCown next season with a full offseason to get in sync with WR's, get 1st team reps, wouldn't he be better than he is right now? How could that type of performance not get us to the playoffs, yet Cutler can? The Bears are 3-15 when Cutler throws 2 or more picks and 12-19 when the Defense allows more than 21 pts. So we are more affected by a bad Cutler game than a good one.

I'd say the Baltimore game, if he plays is a good measuring stick.

Washington is one of the worst defenses in the league against the pass. I mean Ponder/Cassel completed 81% of their passes against them and I think we can all agree that they're no good.

Green Bay is also in the lower half of the league against the pass and they were missing a few of their prime pass rushers.

Not saying he hasn't looked impressive, he certainly has, but I still wanna see how he does against a good team.

I'd say the Baltimore game, if he plays is a good measuring stick.

Washington is one of the worst defenses in the league against the pass. I mean Ponder/Cassel completed 81% of their passes against them and I think we can all agree that they're no good.

Green Bay is also in the lower half of the league against the pass and they were missing a few of their prime pass rushers.

Not saying he hasn't looked impressive, he certainly has, but I still wanna see how he does against a good team.

Cutler left the WAS game 3/8 for 28 yards and a Pick-6. How could he struggle so much vs them on the drives he was in for and others torch them?

Cutler left the WAS game 3/8 for 28 yards and a Pick-6. How could he struggle so much vs them on the drives he was in for and others torch them?

The pick six wasn't a poorly thrown ball, it was a ball Jeffery could have had that was tipped....If I remember correctly there was also 1 or 2 balls dropped in the first quarter. Was trying to find the game on youtube but failed to do so.

The pick six wasn't a poorly thrown ball, it was a ball Jeffery could have had that was tipped....If I remember correctly there was also 1 or 2 balls dropped in the first quarter. Was trying to find the game on youtube but failed to do so.

I would go so far as to say that pick six was a well-thrown ball. Cutler put it where only Alshon could catch it. Now, it was risky, but the chances of a tipped pass falling right into the DB's hands and he doesn't even have to slow down from a full speed run...is pretty low, so it was just bad luck, IMO.