Here a coach, there a coach

Uncle Buck

When does Mel Tucker join the line? If not, then Emery needs to be fired. An asinine plan to keep the defensive scheme completely intact. Finding a willing coach was even worse. Hindsight is 20-20 but that plan blew chunks. Start over, don't blow another season. Even with new players coming in the draft and FA, it seemed pretty clear that Tucker and his crew can't teach. So why trust them with the next crew?

When does Mel Tucker join the line? If not, then Emery needs to be fired. An asinine plan to keep the defensive scheme completely intact. Finding a willing coach was even worse. Hindsight is 20-20 but that plan blew chunks. Start over, don't blow another season. Even with new players coming in the draft and FA, it seemed pretty clear that Tucker and his crew can't teach. So why trust them with the next crew?

His team couldn't tackle all season. His team blew basic assignments all season. His team couldn't contain all season.

Others have pointed out that Tucker didn't have much success in the past either. I'm not going to research that now but if true, why was he hired in the first place?

I wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose immediately. Injuries are one thing but when your guys can't do the basics, it's YOUR fault as a coach. He should've been fired with approximately 30 seconds remaining in yesterday's game. I have no problem with the blitz but given all the issues that secondary has had all season, put someone back there in umbrella to help double (or in this case cover) the guy who breaks it deep. That ball was a blooper and anyone back there could've knocked it down or intercepted it. Game over.

His career as a Bear should be over.

His team couldn't tackle all season. His team blew basic assignments all season. His team couldn't contain all season.

Others have pointed out that Tucker didn't have much success in the past either. I'm not going to research that now but if true, why was he hired in the first place?

I wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose immediately. Injuries are one thing but when your guys can't do the basics, it's YOUR fault as a coach. He should've been fired with approximately 30 seconds remaining in yesterday's game. I have no problem with the blitz but given all the issues that secondary has had all season, put someone back there in umbrella to help double (or in this case cover) the guy who breaks it deep. That ball was a blooper and anyone back there could've knocked it down or intercepted it. Game over.

Its the body of work for the season that has me done with him. Yesterday seemed to be the season in a capsule. I think he was hired because he was willing to forgo his own system and adopt Lovie's system & terminology. Perhaps Emery thought he was the only one who could make the conversion. That's obviously my guess, but just like the Bears had problems attracting good coaches under Lovie because they were concerned that they had only a one year window, maybe the Bears' demand that any D coordinator give up his identity was enough of a hinderance to keep top shelf talent away.

Agreed.

Seriously, someone needs to answer for having the worst D in Bears' history. If there were just one small positive with what Tucker's brought, I'd give him another chance. I see nothing...

Next.

Him and Decamilis have to be fired. It is so obvious and because of that...the Bears won't do it.

I can't remember so don't lynch me here but who's call was it to keep the old scheme was that Tucker's idea? Was it Trestman's? Was it Emery's? Anyway it was a gamble that turned out bad. Had it worked we wouldn't be having this conversation instead we'd be applauding the idea. Hindsight is always 20/20. I think there are two issues here one of those may be clouded by the other. Lack of fundamentals could very well cloud whether the idea to keep the old scheme/language was good or not. I do recall before the season that Many here were intrigued and even supportive of the idea, after all if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That said when it was clear that it wasn't working, that the D was fundamentally unsound, and was now allowing anyone to do anything to us. That is when Tucker should have stepped in and made changes to the system, and refocused the players on fundamentals. The whole of the bye week should have been spent drilling fundamentals into their heads. This is where I have issue with Tucker. Since he's taken over the D has looked undisciplined, fundamentally unsound, soft, and emotionless. There used to be a real swagger with the D and that's gone now they look defeated when the step onto the field. I know a coach can't go out and play for them but there's enough leadership on this team that a good-great coach should be able to have his men ready to play. That falls on Tucker. He may get one more chance next year, but I wouldn't mind replacing him with someone who can motivate, coach, and prepare a defense.

I can't remember so don't lynch me here but who's call was it to keep the old scheme was that Tucker's idea? Was it Trestman's? Was it Emery's? Anyway it was a gamble that turned out bad. Had it worked we wouldn't be having this conversation instead we'd be applauding the idea. Hindsight is always 20/20. I think there are two issues here one of those may be clouded by the other. Lack of fundamentals could very well cloud whether the idea to keep the old scheme/language was good or not. I do recall before the season that Many here were intrigued and even supportive of the idea, after all if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That said when it was clear that it wasn't working, that the D was fundamentally unsound, and was now allowing anyone to do anything to us. That is when Tucker should have stepped in and made changes to the system, and refocused the players on fundamentals. The whole of the bye week should have been spent drilling fundamentals into their heads. This is where I have issue with Tucker. Since he's taken over the D has looked undisciplined, fundamentally unsound, soft, and emotionless. There used to be a real swagger with the D and that's gone now they look defeated when the step onto the field. I know a coach can't go out and play for them but there's enough leadership on this team that a good-great coach should be able to have his men ready to play. That falls on Tucker. He may get one more chance next year, but I wouldn't mind replacing him with someone who can motivate, coach, and prepare a defense.

If memory serves, aside from keeping a 4-3 setup...didn't they fundamentally switch schemes last offseason? (from a 1-gap to a 2-gap defense or something along those lines?)

If memory serves, aside from keeping a 4-3 setup...didn't they fundamentally switch schemes last offseason? (from a 1-gap to a 2-gap defense or something along those lines?)

No, we remained a 1 gap front, which put McClellin, Conte and Wright into gaps that they didn't control.

To another post: I don't think it's even feasibly possible to change the front mid-season.

I do think Tucker had a hard time trying to keep an older system, but I understand why they tried. They couldn't fix both sides of the ball in one season anyway, so why not see what the vets could give you? Hell, without all the injuries we might have been pretty good.

I say fire Tucker. I think they'll do it tomorrow. The new guy can build whatever system he wants to. Unlike last year, it's a pretty desirable job to get this year. Maybe we can attract a caliber of candidate that would have been less interested last year.

I'd say that when they took the gamble last year to try to keep the 1 gap front, they knew that if it didnt work, they'd be in a much better position to build a defense ground up than they were last year.

It's wide open on the defense. I wonder what's next.

All of this makes me think we keep Cutler, with a little more discipline, and a strong defense, we could well win championships, even with his shortcomings.