2014 Draft - My 5

ASHKUM BEAR

So it's official, we hold the 14th pick in the 2014 draft. I see plenty of reasons to be excited this May when draft day arrives. There could be 4 or 5 QB's drafted ahead of us, 1 or 2 WR's, 1 or 2 OT's, and some talented 3-4OLB/ 4-3 DE's prototypes. That will hopefully allow our major needs to fall into our laps. I created a list of 5 players we may have a chance to draft. Out of those 5, I would be pleased with any of them and know we would have a difference maker. Also, they are not in my order of preference either.

1. Louis Nix DT Notre Dame

6'-3" 340 5.55

Nix is a rare breed of big and athletic, which don't come around often. He would be a 3-4 anchor if we decided to switch. He has the ability to stuff the run with his size and get after the QB. Closest comparision would be Vince Wilfork. If Chicago decides to go the 3-4 and Nix was available, I think it would be a no brainer.

2. Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota

6'6" 311 5.37

Hageman has long arms and a nasty demeanor. Explosive athlete that is capable of getting to the QB and stopping the run. NFL comparison would be Richard Seymour, his body style is that of JJ Watt.

3. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S Alabama

6'-1" 209 4.6

Playmaking S with skills to cover the field, TE's, and impact the running game. He is the leader on D and football smart. Tackling and angles can use some work. NFL comparison, Ed Reed.

4. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St

6'-0" 194 4.47

Big physical CB, can play man to man, and shows up against bigger competition. NFL comparsion Charles Woodson

5. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St

5'-11" 188 4.56

Physical corner, shut down ability, smart and tackles well. NFL comparison is Darrelle Revis.

Other notables worth considering: Trent Murphy DE, Stephen Tuitt DE/DT, Timmy Jernigan DT (3T), CJ Mosely ILB.

I like, but is Hageman a bit tall for a tackle? I am worried about pad position. Of course I have not watched much of his body of work. just parts of this last bowl game and did not seem to notice him when he was on the field. Nix might be the better fit.

Hageman is tall, same size as Richard Seymour 6-6 317. Below are some players in that range that have excelled as the interior D-linemen. It is a concern, guess it depends on his motor and hand agility.

Justin Smith SF 6-4

Kevin Williams MN 6-5

Calais Campbell AZ 6-8

Richard Seymour 6-6

Albert Haynesworth 6-6

Haloti Ngata 6-4

Ndamukong Suh 6-4

I could get behind Nix or HHCD at that spot. I've read many places where Denard falls into the second. And, to be quite honest, I think CB is a luxury this year when there is a good chance one, if not both, of the Bears' CBs will return. If one doesn't, however, then Gilbert is a worthy first rounder, but I'd rather see Nix or HHCD if they're there.

I could get behind Nix or HHCD at that spot. I've read many places where Denard falls into the second. And, to be quite honest, I think CB is a luxury this year when there is a good chance one, if not both, of the Bears' CBs will return. If one doesn't, however, then Gilbert is a worthy first rounder, but I'd rather see Nix or HHCD if they're there.

I do think Gilbert will be the top CB. The guy is a dual threat as a returner also. Dennard is more of the aggressive DB, with todays rules, that may not be the best decision.

I'd like Nix/HHCD RD1 and Kyle Fuller CB RD2

Listen, I'm a OKState Cowboys fan and think 14 is high for Justin Gilbert at CB. Of course, it's a tough position to judge because when you're doing your job well, you don't get much attention, but 2012 was an off season for him and though he rebounded this season, he's not a shutdown corner or a game changer. Late first rounder is more reasonable because at pick 14 you'd hope a blue chip guy falls to you.

Hageman is tall, same size as Richard Seymour 6-6 317. Below are some players in that range that have excelled as the interior D-linemen. It is a concern, guess it depends on his motor and hand agility.

Justin Smith SF 6-4

Kevin Williams MN 6-5

Calais Campbell AZ 6-8

Richard Seymour 6-6

Albert Haynesworth 6-6

Haloti Ngata 6-4

Ndamukong Suh 6-4

Yep, you are correct, there are taller tackles out there. I just have not seen him play enough to see how he positions himself. Anybody watch much Big Ten to give any insight?

I'm with most here. Nix or HHCD would be great. I think nix could fit into either a 3-4 or 4-3. I haven't ever seen his motor questioned. Definitely a play maker IMO

Since your a ND guy,they have two gems this year in Nix and Truitt. Would not mine if we had either on team next year.

I like both Nix and Tuit. The thing about Nix is his knees and overall health he struggled with health this past year and didn't seem as dominant as he had in previous years. Now if he gets healed up and can put that past him, he can be very disruptive in the run game and can create pressure. He's very athletic for a big guy. Tuit has had a strong college career and is very active in the run and pass defense. Quite often over the past few years it's been nix and tuit in the backfield. We need guys who can do that. If he can stay healthy Nix would be the more disruptive in both the run game and pass game and would likely draw double teams.