Finding Cap Space

AZ54

I'm all for clarity. No worries.

I know I've seen it done that a team just releases a player, and then makes him a June 1st designation on or after June 2nd. Maybe they closed that loophole since then.

If that's the case, I'm quite sure that they will take the full $8ish mil proration on this year's cap so they get the full amount free for the beginning of free agency. $10 mil more available at the start of free agency is better than $14 mil in June. Besides, they can structure guaranteed roster bonuses for new FAs in early next year for the money they took the hit on this year. It's not going to prevent us from doing anything we want to do.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

I also just read that the cap may also be climbing... All that benefits us...and all teams really.

Interesting addition to this topic:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...ad-money-totals

Looks like those short-term contracts worked out for the Bears and aided in them being in a good salary cap position.

LT !!! where have you been? Hope all is good; miss your posting here.

A few points:

1. Don't use spotrac as a resource. It's overly simplistic in approach and it makes their numbers wrong too often. Use http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bears&Year=2014 instead.

2. They can release Peppers at the start of free agency and use the June 1st designation to get all of the cap savings immediately.

3. In the offseason, only the top 51 contracts count against the cap.

4. If they convert part of Cutler's salary into bonus, they will likely only do it once. Assuming anything else is silly.