Play Review

scs787

So I went back and watched the Kyle Williams interception (To hear the boos Alaskan alluded to, I'm sure there were some there but they certainly weren't overwhelming), and there is a part of it that isn't being brought up. I can't find it in the online highlights of the game but I rewatched it on my DVR and it's there (Perhaps Adam has it available).......

Martellus Bennett waves his hands asking for the ball before Jay throws it. Now I'll probably just be called a Jay apologist for saying this but after seeing that MartyB deserves some of the blame on that one. If I'm the QB and I'm scrambling then see a receiver with his hands in the air I probably make that throw right away and trust my receiver....But then again I'm not a QB lol

If anyone has it DVRd or has access to make the highlight from the actual game it happened at the 8min mark of the 4th Q or at the 2 hour 36 min mark of the telecast.

So I went back and watched the Kyle Williams interception (To hear the boos Alaskan alluded to, I'm sure there were some there but they certainly weren't overwhelming), and there is a part of it that isn't being brought up. I can't find it in the online highlights of the game but I rewatched it on my DVR and it's there (Perhaps Adam has it available).......

Martellus Bennett waves his hands asking for the ball before Jay throws it. Now I'll probably just be called a Jay apologist for saying this but after seeing that MartyB deserves some of the blame on that one. If I'm the QB and I'm scrambling then see a receiver with his hands in the air I probably make that throw right away and trust my receiver....But then again I'm not a QB lol

If anyone has it DVRd or has access to make the highlight from the actual game it happened at the 8min mark of the 4th Q or at the 2 hour 36 min mark of the telecast.

BS. Apparently you've never heard of players like Keyshawn Johnson or OchoCinco who insisted they were always open. Just because Im running across the field (in the opposite direction) with my hand in the air doesn't mean the QB has to throw it to them.

And the booing was heard. Not just for Jay but Trestman too.

I'm not putting all the blame on Bennett here, I'd admit the window was a little to tight for my liking, but it's just not as "Laughable" as before in my eyes. He wasn't starring down Bennett, but as soon as he looked over he saw his arms up and delivered.

It was a real nice play by Williams. He saw Bennetts arms up and broke towards him as the ball was being thrown.

I'm not putting all the blame on Bennett here, I'd admit the window was a little to tight for my liking, but it's just not as "Laughable" as before in my eyes. He wasn't starring down Bennett, but as soon as he looked over he saw his arms up and delivered.

It was a real nice play by Williams. He saw Bennetts arms up and broke towards him as the ball was being thrown.

I'm sorry, did you 'hear' what you just wrote? You described a 350# man (in gear) "break towards a pass" as if he had the skillset similar to someone in the CB or Safety position. (Hey Terra I think we may have found your Safety candidate). As if he (Williams) were able to run a 4.0 40. I saw part of the press conference that Williams did and he pretty much described what you said. Williams had his "Tractor" Traylor moment and Jay was the one who accommodated that fable. I just hope he doesn't do it again...ever.

It's not nearly as "laughable" as the dead cockroach story that Adam shared yesterday. I nearly choked on my dinner laughing so hard when I saw that.

Interesting to see Holmes already blocking/holding CB at the bottom of the frames. To me this means it was supposed to be a quick hitting play. Also, Cutler is looking to throw almost immediately, but it looks like the receivers are not getting enough separation or are not deep enough. You can also see Morgan running out of the first frame and is guarded by the deep safety.

int222.png

In the top frame, one DB peels off and drops back into secondary, Williams also starts back towards the action while the rest of the players literally stand there. You can still see Holmes wrestling the defender.int23.png

In the 2nd frame, Bennett and Marshall both calling for the ball. The best place for this ball is out of bounds are at the 29 between Bennett and Marshall.

Bennett still calling for the ball (frantically), but Williams is closing fast. Cutler looks locked into Bennett, and it is hard to see how he can't see the 300 lbs man in white 35 feet away, but it is possible that the OLineman is blocking his LOS. Looking at his shoulders and hips, he is aiming behind Bennett at this time.

int24.png

Cutler lets it rip and zips a pass that is actually behind Bennett (the last place you want it). He does have to throw it over a defender and with 5 defenders in the frame, he would've been better off to throw it away or run (hindsight is 20/20).

This frame tells a lot. We know the outcome, but in this split second Morgan comes back into the frame placing all 4 receivers within 7 yards of each other. That means all of their defenders plus the 2 that were defending the Cutler run were very close to the play.

Morgan should've went deep down the middle to pull the safety out of the play, and that would've left Marshall open over the top on the sideline or Bennett wide open up the middle. Morgan's route seems to compress everything. Also, how long was Holmes going to hold his block? I would've like to have seen him leave his block and make himself available to Cutler.

In the end, 95% on Cutler, 5% on play call as clumping up the receivers makes for very small windows to pass in. Spread them out. The initial play fake was actually decent and with 10 in the box, this had big play potential written all over it. My question is, why have all the routes end up so close.

int25.png

Bennett still calling for the ball (frantically), but Williams is closing fast. Cutler looks locked into Bennett, and it is hard to see how he can't see the 300 lbs man in white 35 feet away, but it is possible that the OLineman is blocking his LOS. Looking at his shoulders and hips, he is aiming behind Bennett at this time.

int24.png

Cutler lets it rip and zips a pass that is actually behind Bennett (the last place you want it). He does have to throw it over a defender and with 5 defenders in the frame, he would've been better off to throw it away or run (hindsight is 20/20).

Looking at this frame I can see Jordan Mills lurking near the LOS. If only he had taken that step or two forward, before Jay threw the ball. He might have been called for pass interference (for theoretically trying to block Williams) and/or ineligible man down field. Of course since it was such a pivitol play we'd be roasting Jordan instead of Jay.

Gotta give the oline credit . For as long as this play took to develop they did pretty good in the pass coverage and didnt commit the aforementioned penalty.

Looking at this frame I can see Jordan Mills lurking near the LOS. If only he had taken that step or two forward, before Jay threw the ball. He might have been called for pass interference (for theoretically trying to block Williams) and/or ineligible man down field. Of course since it was such a pivitol play we'd be roasting Jordan instead of Jay.

Gotta give the oline credit . For as long as this play took to develop they did pretty good in the pass coverage and didnt commit the aforementioned penalty.

I believe Holmes got called for the penalty, which is obvious. The play seemed to be a quick hitter (based on Holmes immediate actions to block), but did not materialize.

Looking thru these frames again. It looks like Mills doesn't lock his guy up and is actually reaching out to block him in the 3rd pic. Also, Bennett was also blocking at first, which then says this was exclusively for Marshall or Morgan.

This article is atrocious...so Cutler's 3rd and 1 incomplete to Holmes on a bad play call is somehow one of the 5 worse throws / plays by a QB? How the hell is that the case? Yeah, we didn't convert but what the heck do you do when no one is open. How about we freaking run the ball or do something else, but I don't see how this is on Jay. Basically the gist I get from this was we played in a very winnable / close game that went back and forth and thus almost every play was in a close game and magnified so when we didn't convert anything it had a significant impact on the win probability due to it being a close game.

Blah blah blah..this was stupid. It more or less just talks about the win probability of certain situations more then anything on QB's. Cutler being the most catastrophic QB of the week is completely laughable. I could name 15 Qb's who were worse then him last week, probably more.