Cutler vs McCown week to week thread

scs787

How do you focus solely on the word great and then simply say it's ok to compare all QBs against the great ones but it's not ok to compare them against the non-great ones? Do we leave McCown's stats off the list of the NFL QBs or chop off the top 5 from the list?

All QBs in the NFL are compared against each other. All RBs in the NFL are compared against each other. You say McCown was great in Trestman's offense. I compared the stats of both and don't see that. He was better than Jay and certainly played well but I don't see greatness in his stats from last year. I see efficiency.

yds/game 228 vs. Cutler 238.

Comp% 66.5 vs. Cutler 63.2% (McCown has a 63.1% at Tampa so far which is nothing more than..just interesting)

TD% 5.8 vs. Cutler 5.4%

Yds per Attempt 8.2 vs. Cutler 7.4

QBR 85 vs. Cutler 66.4

The only real difference that is in Cutler's favor is game winning drives.

GWD 1 vs. Cutler 3

McCown had 5 starts but fininshed or played in 8 games. It's tough to be the backup and get few reps during the week so he had to overcome that. I think he was better than Jay in our offense last year but what the coaches saw is that Jay can do things late in the game that McCown wasn't as good at. It was the potential they gambled on if they can get Jay to read the check downs and go there early, which he did better later in the season, that they can have the best of both worlds.

You are right about the talent. I haven't watched a Bucs game so really have no idea what is going on but on a few highlights of the Atlanta game I can see his WR just stopping on routes and standing there waiting for the ball. On these routes where you just settle down in a zone area, or stop on a route, a good WR will come back toward the QB a step or two to make it harder for the DB to get in front of them. Tampa's WR would just sit and wait for the ball. Marshall and Jeffrey both work back toward the ball a step or two. DB might still get the break on the pass but at least now they changed the angle of attack and make it harder to get in front for the INT. McCown would benefit if his WR would do that.

McCown = Matt Flynn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call a spade a spade you ass clown. Why is it you just can't come out and call it like it is? I'm probably the loudest here about what it is you're talking about. Call me these names you keep mentioning by my name and quit playing these childish "guess who I'm talking about?" bullshit.

You and Mad are always so prompt about getting on here and reminding me of stupid stuff that I'm saying but you're ok with doing under the guise of cloak and dagger. F#%k you.

Look I thought McCown would do better than he has. I tried to make comparisons to how this is his first year under a new system and would probably struggle just like you and many others have about Cutler. I tried to offer the rationale that while in Treatman's offense McCown undoubtedly propspered more so than did Cutler...at least last year. I also tried to suggest that I felt paying as much money into Cutler was not a wise choice, because like so many of you want to remind me that McCown has a proven track record of not doing well, so too does Cutler. Name one championship he's brought us or the Denver Broncos. I fear the money paid for Cutler will be a waste. Where they could of easily kept McCown for one maybe two years traded Cutler and gotten an up an comer QB for Trestman to work with. And all for a lot less money.

But that ship has sailed. I know you think that I'm hoping for Cutler to fail. I'm not. That would mean I'm cheering for our team to lose and not succeed. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

In closing and in retrospect. This thread was an ill contrived idea largely on my behalf. Let's just hope that keeping Cutler doesn't prove to be equally bad. SCS if there is a way to remove it, make it so. If not maybe we can revisit it later this year. For me, I'm done with it. And to Cracker I say GFY.

With all due respect to all.....

If you cannot see that McCown would have been the better option for us this year......then we will see.

It really depends entirely on Cutler not turning the ball over.

And I want nothing more for our Bears to hit the SB this year.

GO BEARS!

Last season, Trestman was an unknown, Jeffery was an unknown, Bennett was a chance after one decent year in NY, Cutler ran through how many systems, Oline was an unknown....

McCown came into this as an unknown and took the reins late in the season and he did good. He didn't win games for us though. If he came in and won 3 of 4, different story.

To compare them now isn't fair and pointless. To play woulda shoulda coulda is fantasy. To see the Bears lose and the topic comes up again, it is what it is.

It sure seemed once a cheap shot on Jay happened, the team bonded like big brothers and wanted revenge.

Exactly.

Agreed.

McCown isn't nearly as talented as Cutler...

Have a peek at 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...;qualified=true

McCown has a better rating over Cutler 109 to 89. But the top rated QB was Tavaris Jackson. "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics" as Mark Twain said. It's about who you played, when you played them, etc. McCown had a better year than Cutler because his particular oponents were ripe. He played mistake free. But he never had to come back as Jay's done numerous times. Yes, some of those due to Jay's own fault.

I get it, you guys clamoring for McCown just want the safe Bears. A safe QB to simply make no mistakes. Jay is the gambler. He will do things to win games and do things to lose a few. Safe tends not to win championships. Gutsy does. The floor is higher with McCown, but the ceiling is higher with Jay. I, like many, think the better bet is to go all in. I want a SB, not just an NFC title and a bounce out of the playoffs. I think Jay has a greater chance of that than McCown. Especially over the next few years as we only have so many years with our WR's.

Bears management simply looked at Jay as a starter for numerous years that could do things other top QB's like Rodgers, etc do to win. McCown was a stop gap...a hope for a couple decent seasons while we await the next drafted QB.

You and Alaska may end up being right, that if Jay doesn't get over the hump, we may have been better off with McCown. However, the bet isn't that he'll fail. It's that he'll succeed. No risk, no return.

Nice one Mad.....my boy is named Sawyer......

With all due respect to all.....

If you cannot see that McCown would have been the better option for us this year......then we will see.

It really depends entirely on Cutler not turning the ball over.

And I want nothing more for our Bears to hit the SB this year.

GO BEARS!

The thing is, McCown currently leads the league in INTs and he's also fumbled twice.