Jarryd Hayne kick returner? (SCS)

ASHKUM BEAR

Just for SCS

Since there is no answer I've seen yet for a kick off returner, how about bringing this guy in for a look.

Jarryd Hayne 26 years old is a speedster rugby player. 6-2" 220

He would be best suited to play special teams if anywhere to start off.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11703333...chase-nfl-dream

I'm all about seeing if the "Hayne train" can get it going in the NFL!

Dude is a beast. I was calling for the Bears to sign Carlin Isles, but he was extremely raw, even in rugby. He didn't make it with the Lions. Hayne, who's not quite as fast as Isles has the vision and shiftiness to stand a better chance at making it.

He's got the tenacity as a runner to possibly even be a RB project.

Probably gets signed to a practice squad to start out with but he's worth a flyer IMO.

I'm all about seeing if the "Hayne train" can get it going in the NFL!

Dude is a beast. I was calling for the Bears to sign Carlin Isles, but he was extremely raw, even in rugby. He didn't make it with the Lions. Hayne, who's not quite as fast as Isles has the vision and shiftiness to stand a better chance at making it.

He's got the tenacity as a runner to possibly even be a RB project.

Probably gets signed to a practice squad to start out with but he's worth a flyer IMO.

Has he ever played football? American football?

Has he ever played football? American football?

Never has. He is supposedly the highest paid rugby player and is leaving that pay dirt to pursue a career in the NFL. He has size and speed, 6-2 220 and his 40 time was 4.33 coming out of college. Worst case, he is a practice squad player, Middle case-Special teams contributor, Best case- RB (not a hard transition IMO)

He has motivation to be great to go along with his athletic size and ability.

This is a tough transition for him. The first thing he has to do is learn how to hold the ball correctly. I think he is right to start off as a kick returner, keeps him in open space where he's accustomed to running while he learns the game. Since he's played rugby he should know how to tackle too which works for special teams coverage. However, playing RB is a whole new ballgame and learning how to run between the tackles, well let's just say it took Reggie Bush 5-6 years in the NFL to learn how to do that. This guy is already 26, 27 by the time he'd be ready next season.

Hayne can catch a rugby ball moving at 10mph but if he can catch a fast ball from Cutler I'd like to see him used more in the Percy Harvin type of role as a slot WR. He has elite quickness and with his size he'd be a very tough matchup, plus I'd think he could be an effective blocker too. That keeps him in the open field where he's comfortable and you don't have to teach him many routes to get him to be effective as he grows his skill set. What did Wes Welker run in New England? Go up 5 yds turn left. Go up 5 yds turn right.