Sean Mannion

AZ54

I still like him as a prospect to develop. Bucky Brooks has him listed as the 5th best QB prospect but more often I've seen him listed as a 5th or 6th Rd pick. I think he'll go earlier than that.

http://www.nfl.com/now/share?id=b8a84934-a...d1-138c9ee5f566

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...84/sean-mannion

They say this is a lousy QB class, but why cant some prospects be developed? Under the right circumstances, could develop into a starting NFL QB? only the football Gods know for sure.

In my lifetime there have only been a few Pac 12(10) QBs who have come in and fared well in the NFL. Off the top of my head Dan Fouts,Troy Aikman ,John Elway, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck come to mind and I'll throw Jim Plunkett in also even though he didn't do it with the team that drafted him. All the Kyle Bollers, Marc Sanchezes, Pat Haydens, Rob Johnsons,Rodney Peetes,Vince Evans,Matt Leinerts etc. haven't done well with Vince Evans becoming a solid backup only with his second team.Then when you factor in how well some of the other West Coast teams qbs have fared in the league it gets worse. Fresno State, SanDiego State non of these guys have done well yet they continue to have a top prospect in the draft year after year. If I was going to take a guy from that conference it would be Hunley. Let himsit for a year and then put him on the field.

In my lifetime there have only been a few Pac 12(10) QBs who have come in and fared well in the NFL. Off the top of my head Dan Fouts,Troy Aikman ,John Elway, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck come to mind and I'll throw Jim Plunkett in also even though he didn't do it with the team that drafted him. All the Kyle Bollers, Marc Sanchezes, Pat Haydens, Rob Johnsons,Rodney Peetes,Vince Evans,Matt Leinerts etc. haven't done well with Vince Evans becoming a solid backup only with his second team.Then when you factor in how well some of the other West Coast teams qbs have fared in the league it gets worse. Fresno State, SanDiego State non of these guys have done well yet they continue to have a top prospect in the draft year after year. If I was going to take a guy from that conference it would be Hunley. Let himsit for a year and then put him on the field.

I'm pretty sure we could make a list like that for any conference. Mannion is at best a 3rd Rd pick, maybe a 4th-5th Rd. I don't have any problem taking a guy to try to develop but if you take that guy in Rd 1 you are betting on that working out. I just don't like some prospects like Hundley because I never see him reading defenses well. Petty puts too many throws in the dirt for my tastes.

You forgot to mention Cade Mcnown :drink

I'm pretty sure we could make a list like that for any conference. Mannion is at best a 3rd Rd pick, maybe a 4th-5th Rd. I don't have any problem taking a guy to try to develop but if you take that guy in Rd 1 you are betting on that working out. I just don't like some prospects like Hundley because I never see him reading defenses well. Petty puts too many throws in the dirt for my tastes.

AZ you and I have always had similar thoughts and I agree but teams are rarely developing QBs. The last one developed here was Orton and he wasn't really developed, he was thrown into the fire.

AZ you and I have always had similar thoughts and I agree but teams are rarely developing QBs. The last one developed here was Orton and he wasn't really developed, he was thrown into the fire.

If you are developing a QB it's usually because you don't have a good one. It's hard to be patient these days in the NFL. Plus, and I agree with this, a guy is going to learn best from playing. Maybe a year to learn and adjust to the offense but sooner than later you gotta hit the field to learn it. It's rare to see an Aaron Rodgers situation and that only happened because Favre retired 7 or 8 times.

If you are developing a QB it's usually because you don't have a good one. It's hard to be patient these days in the NFL. Plus, and I agree with this, a guy is going to learn best from playing. Maybe a year to learn and adjust to the offense but sooner than later you gotta hit the field to learn it. It's rare to see an Aaron Rodgers situation and that only happened because Favre retired 7 or 8 times.

With our situation, it might be different. Part of our issue with Cutler is that we have no plan B. He has no competition. Does it scare the hell out of anyone else that if we do cut ties with Cutler, our next best option is Jake Locker?

Jimmy Clausen felt so much love from the NFL that he signed a one year deal with the Bears for the minimum.

With our situation, it might be different. Part of our issue with Cutler is that we have no plan B. He has no competition. Does it scare the hell out of anyone else that if we do cut ties with Cutler, our next best option is Jake Locker?

Jimmy Clausen felt so much love from the NFL that he signed a one year deal with the Bears for the minimum.

keep in mind that we are rebuilding this team (i think). So if we need to get rid of Cutler and suck for a year or two then so be it. This team sucks and needs a lot of things to be competitive again. I say build from the inside out i.e. OLine and DLine first, then lean towards building the defense. You can win in this league if you play solid defense, able to run the ball a little, and convert on third down.

keep in mind that we are rebuilding this team (i think). So if we need to get rid of Cutler and suck for a year or two then so be it. This team sucks and needs a lot of things to be competitive again. I say build from the inside out i.e. OLine and DLine first, then lean towards building the defense. You can win in this league if you play solid defense, able to run the ball a little, and convert on third down.

I think as fans we understand that but as I said in another thread I don't believe Gase came here to coach a bad team for 2-3 years. He was a HC candidate, a strong one, and 3 years on a bad team will put back behind the rest of the crowd. Then he'll need another 2-3 to make a name for himself again. I believe either they feel they can make it work well enough with Cutler at the helm or they have a good backup plan to get someone else that can at least be average.

I think as fans we understand that but as I said in another thread I don't believe Gase came here to coach a bad team for 2-3 years. He was a HC candidate, a strong one, and 3 years on a bad team will put back behind the rest of the crowd. Then he'll need another 2-3 to make a name for himself again. I believe either they feel they can make it work well enough with Cutler at the helm or they have a good backup plan to get someone else that can at least be average.

I dont think any of the new regime came in here with the thought of tanking for a year, but after looking at tape, may have realized this is more than a makeover and needs serious rebuilding.