How important a coaching staff is.....

Chitownhustla

Last night shows just how important a good coaching staff really is. The Bears last year lost to GB 38-17 and 55-14. This year the Bears lost 31-23 and won 17-13. You cant say the Bears are more talented this year, they still have glaring needs on the Defensive side of the ball, the Oline is not preforming well. What has changed, there are some new faces, rookies playing well, Cutler has played really well but the biggest change is the Coaching. Cutlers play can be credited to great coaching as well, not that Cutler didnt clearly change some things to turn it around the way he has.

The Bears are 2nd in the NFL with rushing attempts this year, last year they were 3rd from last. This is something many had screamed at Trestman to do last year, RUN THE BALL. Why he talked about it each week and then never did it still blows my mind away.

Gase has done an amazing job with this offense, especially when you factor in talent and injuries.

Fangio I think has done an even better job solely based on the talent he has and it being the first year the Bears have ran a 3/4.

Fox is an actual HC, you need a strong leader in charge of everything. I think that is one of the things Trestman had no clue about (Bruce Arians clearly is the leader type in AZ).

Pace has done his job well this first year. Now the big question is "is the coaching staff making the Pace picks and signees look good or is it the other way around? "

Lets hope this big Win in GB gets the Bears on a hot streak and put a 5 game winning streak together. Win them all and let the cards fall how they may!

Last night shows just how important a good coaching staff really is. The Bears last year lost to GB 38-17 and 55-14. This year the Bears lost 31-23 and won 17-13. You cant say the Bears are more talented this year, they still have glaring needs on the Defensive side of the ball, the Oline is not preforming well. What has changed, there are some new faces, rookies playing well, Cutler has played really well but the biggest change is the Coaching. Cutlers play can be credited to great coaching as well, not that Cutler didnt clearly change some things to turn it around the way he has.

The Bears are 2nd in the NFL with rushing attempts this year, last year they were 3rd from last. This is something many had screamed at Trestman to do last year, RUN THE BALL. Why he talked about it each week and then never did it still blows my mind away.

Gase has done an amazing job with this offense, especially when you factor in talent and injuries.

Fangio I think has done an even better job solely based on the talent he has and it being the first year the Bears have ran a 3/4.

Fox is an actual HC, you need a strong leader in charge of everything. I think that is one of the things Trestman had no clue about (Bruce Arians clearly is the leader type in AZ).

Pace has done his job well this first year. Now the big question is "is the coaching staff making the Pace picks and signees look good or is it the other way around? "

Lets hope this big Win in GB gets the Bears on a hot streak and put a 5 game winning streak together. Win them all and let the cards fall how they may!

I agree, and if you consider the losses Cutler played in, we were extremely competitive or had a chance to win those as well.

On Pace, it is hard to solely give credit to the coaching staff as the players have to at least be coachable. Also, regardless of coaching, you have to have some talent to play in the NFL, so I would say Pace is part of the success and the cultural change throughout the organization. We have won 5 games, matching last year's total with 5 games remaining. It is hard to see us not going at least 8-8, if not pushing for a playoff spot with 9-10 wins.

I agree, and if you consider the losses Cutler played in, we were extremely competitive or had a chance to win those as well.

On Pace, it is hard to solely give credit to the coaching staff as the players have to at least be coachable. Also, regardless of coaching, you have to have some talent to play in the NFL, so I would say Pace is part of the success and the cultural change throughout the organization. We have won 5 games, matching last year's total with 5 games remaining. It is hard to see us not going at least 8-8, if not pushing for a playoff spot with 9-10 wins.

Pace walked into the perfect storm when it comes to coaching. Fox was released late in the process, as were Gase and Fangio after they were screwed by san fran at the same time.

Pace needs to get some true playmakers until i buy into him. Right now I am just seeing amazing coaching by fangio, Fox doing a great job of what he does during the week, and Gase knowing his limitations with Cutler at QB. The offense has sucked giving the talent on offense but the D have over achieved a lot considering the talent. Gase has been able to find just the right way to squeeze out just enough offense to win the games they have won. The Bears are 24th in points per game on offense and 17th in yards to this point with the 8th most penalty yards.

Fangio is a freaking genius. I never thought that good of a coach could have this much of an impact.

Pace walked into the perfect storm when it comes to coaching. Fox was released late in the process, as were Gase and Fangio after they were screwed by san fran at the same time.

Pace needs to get some true playmakers until i buy into him. Right now I am just seeing amazing coaching by fangio, Fox doing a great job of what he does during the week, and Gase knowing his limitations with Cutler at QB. The offense has sucked giving the talent on offense but the D have over achieved a lot considering the talent. Gase has been able to find just the right way to squeeze out just enough offense to win the games they have won. The Bears are 24th in points per game on offense and 17th in yards to this point with the 8th most penalty yards.

Fangio is a freaking genius. I never thought that good of a coach could have this much of an impact.

The Bears fell into a perfect coaching storm, dream teamish. That is the NFL for you. Talent wise, they are all amazing athletes to get to that level. You have to have players that gel and coaches that can lead. As for playmakers, Alshon, Langford, Amos, and Cutler have been making some significant plays. Rare breeds of Odell Beckham, Rob Gronkowski, Tom Brady exist, we may have one in Kevin White.. Coaching is the biggest part of it though, can we keep this unit long enough to accomplish anything is the question.

I agree, but you make your own luck. Any of those coaches could've went somewhere else just as easy as coming here.

Also, even with our first round pick out, we still have had 4 rookies starting games (Goldman, Amos, Langford, and Grasu) and at least play serviceable. Amos has started every game, Goldman has started 8 and played in all 11, Langford has started 2 and played in all 11, and Grasu has started and played in 4 games. Grasu has been the weakest of the bunch, but I am sure he will get better with more playing time. If White comes back and can become a legit #2, then that will be 5 contributors from a draft within one year. That is pretty good.

I agree, but you make your own luck. Any of those coaches could've went somewhere else just as easy as coming here.

Also, even with our first round pick out, we still have had 4 rookies starting games (Goldman, Amos, Langford, and Grasu) and at least play serviceable. Amos has started every game, Goldman has started 8 and played in all 11, Langford has started 2 and played in all 11, and Grasu has started and played in 4 games. Grasu has been the weakest of the bunch, but I am sure he will get better with more playing time. If White comes back and can become a legit #2, then that will be 5 contributors from a draft within one year. That is pretty good.

I def agree that Pace did a great job in drafting and even FA signings. The McPhee signing has turned out to be a great and cost effective FA pickup. Even the Bryce Callahan pickup is looking a like good UDFA signing. Ive said it before and Ill keep saying it, if White turns out to be a stud this could be one of the best draft classes the Bears have ever seen. The big thing is if you dont have a good coaching staff to develop these guys it goes to waste. Right now we have a great combo of GM and Coaching staff. If Pace can keep up what he did in the first year this thing could get real good real quick. With the amount of cap space the Bears will have Im really excited to see what FA they go after.

Fox, Gase and Fangio all understand how to get the most out of each players is to put them in the best situations for success based on their individual strengths!

I'll never understand coaches who think they need to have certain specialized players to run their system which often takes way to long to turn around a team.

I wonder how much cap space we will have left if we re-sign: Alshon Jeffery, Shea McClellin, Tracy Porter, Jarvis Jenkins, Sam Acho, Zach Miller, Matt Forte (possibly), to think of a few. I figure these guys will cost around 40 million. Leaving enough for one big name FA. I would target Muhammad Wilkerson DL who is 26. He would set the tone upfront. If they do target Wilkerson, letting Jenkins go is probable since we will have Ferguson, Sutton, and Washington in the mix.

Draft at the 18th slot: Reggie Ragland ILB rd 1, Jeremy Cash SS rd2, and Dadi Nicholas OLB rd3 would solidify the D. Go RG/RT round 4 and we are in the mix.

I wonder how much cap space we will have left if we re-sign: Alshon Jeffery, Shea McClellin, Tracy Porter, Jarvis Jenkins, Sam Acho, Zach Miller, Matt Forte (possibly), to think of a few. I figure these guys will cost around 40 million. Leaving enough for one big name FA. I would target Muhammad Wilkerson DL who is 26. He would set the tone upfront. If they do target Wilkerson, letting Jenkins go is probable since we will have Ferguson, Sutton, and Washington in the mix.

Draft at the 18th slot: Reggie Ragland ILB rd 1, Jeremy Cash SS rd2, and Dadi Nicholas OLB rd3 would solidify the D. Go RG/RT round 4 and we are in the mix.

What are you thinking each guy will get? Dont forget Long too.

What are you thinking each guy will get? Dont forget Long too.

Long has one more year under contract. After 2016 he is up.

Alshon 15 mil

Shea 6

Porter 6

Jenkins 3

Acho 3

Miller 3

Forte 4

this could be way off, didnt do any research to see what the going rates are

Also just in, LS Gafford released and we signed Baltimore LS Patrick Scales.

Gase knowing his limitations with Cutler at QB. The offense has sucked giving the talent on offense but the D have over achieved a lot considering the talent. Gase has been able to find just the right way to squeeze out just enough offense to win the games they have won. The Bears are 24th in points per game on offense and 17th in yards to this point with the 8th most penalty yards.

1: Please explain how Gase is limited by Cutler. 2: How has our offense sucked because of not living up to talent?

IMO - There is not a play in any book that Cutler can not run. Also, our talent has been injured. (Cutler, Jeffrey, Long, Bushrod, Royal, Forte, Bennett, Grasu, the other center etc...)

Interesting numbers:

Pre Bye

2-4 (.532 SOS)

120-179 (20.0-29.8 ppg)

Post Bye

3-2 (.549 SOS)

111-85 (22.2-17.0 ppg)

The offense has slightly improved, but the defense has been like night and day and against tougher competition no less. Those numbers also include return scores. The defense is averaging only 1.2 TDs allowed a game since the bye (not counting return TDs).

According to over the cap we have about $58mil before re-signing anyone. (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space)

That does not include the potential savings if we ditch Rolle ($3.0 cap savings) and potentially others (Bushrod - $4.3 cap savings, $4.4 dead money; Bennett - $5.185 cap savings, $1.125 dead money; Young - $2.5 cap savings, 666k dead money; Houston - $4.02 cap savings, $2.97 dead money). Houston, Young, Bennett, and Bushrod all seem like trade candidates if we were trying to get more cap space (if Bennett wants more money, if Houston/Young don't want to play in a 3-4).

Going off AB's estimate, we would have at least $18mil after re-signing those players, and potentially somewhere in the 20's if Rolle was released. That would easily be enough for the rookie pool, 2 impact FA's and a couple more vet minimum guys.

1: Please explain how Gase is limited by Cutler. 2: How has our offense sucked because of not living up to talent?

IMO - There is not a play in any book that Cutler can not run. Also, our talent has been injured. (Cutler, Jeffrey, Long, Bushrod, Royal, Forte, Bennett, Grasu, the other center etc...)

To start with 2, the offense has been poor this year compared to the talent. Yes there has been injuries, but players have stepped up in their absence. Jeffery's ability is obviously missed, but the others you listed not so much. The Bears haven't exactly been lighting it up point wise when he is healthy. The points scored are pretty identical when he has played and when he hasn't. The other players that have been injured have been replaced by comparable play by back ups ie. Forte by Langford(I actually think langford has been an improvement) and Leno to Bushrod.

There are 6 former pro bowlers on offense, and you can see the stats from what I posted above they haven't preformed wel. In comparison, the D has no names on it and preformed way higher than expected. That is why I am saying that the offense hasn't been living up to talent.

On Cutler, the Bears have had to be super conservative to control his turn overs. He's completing around 44% of his passes past 10 yards. To me that says that Gase is keeping it short, to most likely one read, and conservative to play with in the constraints of the turn over machine that he has. Cutler has 130 throws that are less than 10 yards, and 35 for more than 10 yards. 12 of which are over 20 yards.

To start with 2, the offense has been poor this year compared to the talent. Yes there has been injuries, but players have stepped up in their absence. Jeffery's ability is obviously missed, but the others you listed not so much. The Bears haven't exactly been lighting it up point wise when he is healthy. The points scored are pretty identical when he has played and when he hasn't. The other players that have been injured have been replaced by comparable play by back ups ie. Forte by Langford(I actually think langford has been an improvement) and Leno to Bushrod.

There are 6 former pro bowlers on offense, and you can see the stats from what I posted above they haven't preformed wel. In comparison, the D has no names on it and preformed way higher than expected. That is why I am saying that the offense hasn't been living up to talent.

On Cutler, the Bears have had to be super conservative to control his turn overs. He's completing around 44% of his passes past 10 yards. To me that says that Gase is keeping it short, to most likely one read, and conservative to play with in the constraints of the turn over machine that he has. Cutler has 130 throws that are less than 10 yards, and 35 for more than 10 yards. 12 of which are over 20 yards.

Fair enough. I mostly disagree with both, but definitely see and respect your point.

Fair enough. I mostly disagree with both, but definitely see and respect your point.

Some subjects we wont agree on, but the Bears went from me not carrying if i watch them this year to me buying 2 sweatshirts and hats off nfl.com today. They are fun to watch and we will disagree on stuff from time to time but we are all her ebecause we want to see the best for the team and have a passion for them.

Im going to have to go with Mongo on this one. Offense talent, Cutler Alshon, Bennet, Forte, Long and i guess you can throw Royal in there too. All have missed games expect Long . The Online is a mess, Bushrod was out and now looks like he is benched, Long gets moved to RT right before the season starts because Mills couldnt get it done. We lose our starting Center and have a rookie 3round pick starting.

When your starting WR group is Wilson, Meredith, Bellemny and Marranni you are lacking talent. Even tho White is not a proven talent yet, it still hurts to not have him out there, from a pure physical talent level.

Lets not forget that this group is learning a new system too, with all the injuries and shuffling around the Oline I dont know how much you can expect. I would expect to see improvement each week as the group gels and learns the ins and outs of Gase's system.

I was exactly like you, I wouldnt buy a Bears hoodie or hat out of pure anger from last year. I have slowly bought some things over the season as they have really impressed me! lol