Bears vs Jags game thread

jason

At this point, are we already just looking forward to the draft?

Bears making stupid penalties, but get bailed out with an EZ interception. That's nice to see. And the OL is giving Hoyer a decent amount of time thus far. Of course, they're still running that "never ran it with Cutler"-offense, which adds a little something to it. Can't say I remember more than one or two naked bootlegs the entire time Cutler has been under center. Now with Hoyer? Once a drive. Go figure.

It's maddening. It never made sense to me why Cutler hasn't been allowed to rollout more as a Chicago Bear. That was the one thing he excelled at in Denver, yet I can probably count on both hands the number of times a play like that was called when he started.

Maybe when your not a great decision maker rolling out is not the best idea.

With Meredith stepping up to fill in for White, and Jeffery, Miller, Royal, and now Howard, this offense has the potential to be virtually unstoppable. It seems like someone is open on every play and Jeffery can even make catches when completely covered. If we can convert in the RZ, we should be scoring in the high 20's to low 30's every game.

Now the defense is another story.

Yes on that but if your throwing on the run into double coverage I don't see good things happening.

When a team runs a naked bootleg it not only cuts field in half but it's set up with fake run. Typically gets the defense going towards the end therefore it's not very often a wr is in double coverage. It's more 1 on 1. I would want someone ask fox and company why they run naked bootleg's with hoyer but never even attempt them with cutler. After all cutler did excel with it in Denver and that can't be ignored. 1 thing I kind of think is that I've seen the oline getting better and better and back in the 1st couple weeks they couldn't sustain a block at all which you need to sustain them in order to set up a naked bootleg. Maybe that's why. It's all very interesting though for sure

With Meredith stepping up to fill in for White, and Jeffery, Miller, Royal, and now Howard, this offense has the potential to be virtually unstoppable. It seems like someone is open on every play and Jeffery can even make catches when completely covered. If we can convert in the RZ, we should be scoring in the high 20's to low 30's every game.

Now the defense is another story.

Excellent point. I'm seeing the oline gel together very well. Setting up holes for the backs and hoyer has only been sacked a total of 3 times since taking over. So he's got more time to go thru progressions and he's not making mistakes

When a team runs a naked bootleg it not only cuts field in half but it's set up with fake run. Typically gets the defense going towards the end therefore it's not very often a wr is in double coverage. It's more 1 on 1. I would want someone ask fox and company why they run naked bootleg's with hoyer but never even attempt them with cutler. After all cutler did excel with it in Denver and that can't be ignored. 1 thing I kind of think is that I've seen the oline getting better and better and back in the 1st couple weeks they couldn't sustain a block at all which you need to sustain them in order to set up a naked bootleg. Maybe that's why. It's all very interesting though for sure

I believe you are correct, it is tied to the O-Line, they are adding new wrinkles into the game plan. Now could Cutler step in his first week back and do the same thing Hoyer is doing right now? I don't think so.

I do agree and have been asking for this for years now but after 20 OC's that have not utilized that play with Culter but do with other QBs you have to think there is a good reason. I don't know man.

That was an absolute idiotic drive to end the half there. Should have ended up in points. Fox is a moron. 3 timeouts and he lets the clock run for 30 seconds after Alshon's big 3rd down catch. Inexcusable!

Agreed, that was dumb. Seems like after the penalty was over turned they just gave up....

A win doesn't help us in the long run. More losses equal a better pick. This team is not going to the playoffs.

All this game showed was Hoyer is not in any way the answer for us. His check-down style was one of the main reasons we lost today.

Here's hoping for a top-3 pick.

Peace :dabears

I think I said this after the last loss, but this game was great. It shows us a lot of potential, gives us glimpses of hope, gives reps to some up and coming players, shows us Hoyer is the dink-and-dunker we thought he was, and that the team can compete despite having a bunch of injuries and glaring holes in a few places.

It's a loss, and losses always suck, but this was nearly perfect for the long-term goals of the Bears organization.