Bears vs Vikings Game Thread

adam

Howard looks good. He looked really good on the long run...until the wheels came off and then he looked like me running.

He also looked good on the long screen (34 yards). He already has 127 all-purpose yards in a quarter and a half.

Lately, it looks like Alshon has checked out. He is not on the same page tonight

Yeah, he looks horrible. Ball hit him in the back of the head. Cutler is not too sharp either. Defense is playing great though.

We have been a 30 minute team, so lets see how we finish.

So I am impressed, the best defense in the league and we have a 20-3 lead, Cutler has 203 yards passing, a TD, no INTs, and has hit 8 different receivers; Howard is already over 100 yards rushing too.

Defense has been borderline great with 4 sacks and only 90 total yards allowed.

If not for a stupid 15 yard penalty on Washington, this might be a shutout.

Again, it will come down to how we finish. We have had numerous 2nd half and 4th quarter leads and still lost.

So I am impressed, the best defense in the league and we have a 20-3 lead, Cutler has 203 yards passing, a TD, no INTs, and has hit 8 different receivers; Howard is already over 100 yards rushing too.

Again, it will come down to how we finish. We have had numerous 2nd half and 4th quarter leads and still lost.

As impressive as the offense has been, have to give the D it's props.. Floyd is building off the GB game and improving. The young DBs bend but not breaking.

As impressive as the offense has been, have to give the D it's props.. Floyd is building off the GB game and improving. The young DBs bend but not breaking.

You can also see McPhee's impact on the defense. They have some swagger. Hicks is on fire and almost unblockable. 5 sacks and a bunch of hurries and QB hits. Now we just need a defensive turnover and to hold Minnesota without a TD. Where has this team been all year?

But Cutler didn't throw for 300yds?

I have much more to say but I'll reserve some thoughts until I watch a replay. This was an ass kicking delivered to the best defense in the NFL. It would have been even better if Howard knew the audible near the goal line and ran left. Our coaching staff just took a bunch of backup DBs, and a rather significant amount of rookies up front (Washington 1st yr at new position, Bullard, Floyd) following the lead of their veterans and stuck it to the Vikings.

But Cutler didn't throw for 300yds?

I have much more to say but I'll reserve some thoughts until I watch a replay. This was an ass kicking delivered to the best defense in the NFL. It would have been even better if Howard knew the audible near the goal line and ran left. Our coaching staff just took a bunch of backup DBs, and a rather significant amount of rookies up front (Washington 1st yr at new position, Bullard, Floyd) following the lead of their veterans and stuck it to the Vikings.

Agreed. It was good to get to see the Bears on TV here and have them whoop the division leaders. Loved the D, esp Hicks. Floyd and Howard are great picks by Pace. Hoping this is the start of the rebuild. Oh, and who is the Thompson WR? Didn't he catch the Queens kickoff toward the end of the game and ran a couple of yards and take a knee? Can someone tell me why he did that?

Wait, we just had a Cutler sprint out to the right and pass to Jeffery for 11 yards? What is going on?

7 for 13 on 3rd downs.

Yep. Liked the play calling, after they wasted Howard's great run in the 1st quarter with only 3 points. Want to see more of moving Cutler around.

Agreed. It was good to get to see the Bears on TV here and have them whoop the division leaders. Loved the D, esp Hicks. Floyd and Howard are great picks by Pace. Hoping this is the start of the rebuild. Oh, and who is the Thompson WR? Didn't he catch the Queens kickoff toward the end of the game and ran a couple of yards and take a knee? Can someone tell me why he did that?

I think he was told to do that and not take a chance of fumbling. They had their hands unit out there anticipating an onside kick also.

Great job by the DL. Lots of pressure. Maybe if everyone was healthy this D would actually look pretty damn good?

Lately I've been a "let's look promising but still lose"-guy. But it was nice to win one on MNF for a change. To beat the Vikings and their overrated D is that much better.

We get a bye to get even more guys healthy, then have this remaining schedule:

at TB 3-4

at NYG 4-3

vs TEN 4-4

vs SF 1-6

at DET 4-4

vs GB 4-3

vs WAS 4-3-1

at MIN 5-2

After beating MIN like that in prime time, this schedule seems pretty light.

Howard looks good. He looked really good on the long run...until the wheels came off and then he looked like me running.

This years draft looks good. Floyd was dynamic. Drew a hold, constant pass rush (plus the sack). Showed great motor. Yes, it was again a weak oline, but something I like to see. Two straight games where he has been making plays, which is fantastic to see. Howard with his best game yet, very dynamic and just some great reads and runs (plus some nice catches). Add to that Whitehair is looking like a legit player so those are all major pluses. I don' even know who our secondary is, but some of these young guys are doing solid.

The addition of Hicks also looks really solid, which is nice to see. This was a really really fun game to watch. We took it to them at all levels and our young players contributed nicely to the win.

I was annoyed at the penalty, but I presume he thought the play was dead and was hustling out for the punt? Definitely a bad penalty though. In general, a thorough beating. We looked like a superior team (no smoke and mirrors in yesterday's game). Its unfortunate we lost some winnable games. Outside of that Dallas game, we could have won any game and should at least have a few more wins (and could have been in a position to make an actual run). McPhee helps this D, but, it really helps that Floyd and Hicks have generated some real pass rush these past two games (to go with Willie Young).

We get a bye to get even more guys healthy, then have this remaining schedule:

at TB 3-4

at NYG 4-3

vs TEN 4-4

vs SF 1-6

at DET 4-4

vs GB 4-3

vs WAS 4-3-1

at MIN 5-2

After beating MIN like that in prime time, this schedule seems pretty light.

And that worries me. I don't think this is a playoff team. I think it still lacks major talent. But with that schedule, I could see a W or L in any game. Which makes me think out of the 8 remaining games, the Bears win 3 or 4. Which places the Bears right around 5-6 wins. And what does 5-6 wins get you?

About 10th or so in the draft. <_>

And that worries me. I don't think this is a playoff team. I think it still lacks major talent. But with that schedule, I could see a W or L in any game. Which makes me think out of the 8 remaining games, the Bears win 3 or 4. Which places the Bears right around 5-6 wins. And what does 5-6 wins get you?

About 10th or so in the draft. <_>

Exactly my thoughts, I am somewhat ashamed to admit...

Exactly my thoughts, I am somewhat ashamed to admit...

I just pressure-washed my deck, removed an eroding stain, and applied a fresh coat of stain that will last ten years. Sure, it sucked while I was pressure washing for hours, but overall my deck will be stronger for a longer period of time as a result.

I've taken heat on this board for my beliefs, but I honestly think it's harder to build a consistent contender if you constantly hover near .500. You neither gain the advantage of the high draft pick, nor the advantage of being a winning franchise of which FA's desperately want to be a part. It's better for a franchise overall to have one or two atrocious, top-5 pick seasons where picks can be stock-piled and draft position can be maximized.

The draft picks have been proven statistically numerous times to be better as you draft higher. Sure, there are hits and misses, but overall there are better players drafted higher. There is no debate to this. So it's just easier to draft higher; there is a higher percentage of landing a marquee player.

I'm not ashamed at all to admit I think this team would be better off losing a lot this year.