Nightmare Draft

jason

I do this topic each year. Here's my nightmare draft:

1. Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio St - With Fuller, Prince, Cooper, and LeBlanc, I don't think it's really a big problem. There are much bigger holes at S, T, and DE. And there are much better players available at two of those positions.

2. Carl Lawson, DE/OLB, Auburn - A tweener who has some eye-opening physical abilities and traits. I'll hate this pick, and any other tweener like him.

3. Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami - Lots of QBs go in 1st round, nothing happens in the 2nd, and the Bears make a nervous reach for a guy who won't be good.

4. Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU - WR with measurables but doesn't know how to use them. Won't be able to "out-athlete" players in the NFL.

4. Samaje Perine, RB, OK - I do not want ANY RB in this draft, unless it's a ridiculous value like McCaffrey in the 3rd.

5. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas - In a deep TE draft, he's the first guy outside of the group of about ten that I like. This would suck.

6-7. Safe players. Late round picks should be used on huge upside guys, even if it means those guys are rough around the edges.

For the record, I kind of like Kaaya and Dupre in those spots, but I'll join in the fun/potential misery:

1) Garrett Bolles, OT, Utah - Bears brought him in for a visit recently, but hopefully not because they are considering actually taking a 25-year-old project at #3.

2) Davis Webb, QB, Cal - I don't hate him, but I hate him here.

3) Eric Saubert, TE, Drake - It's a little early in a great TE draft to get a guy with the reported physical tools, but who is coming from a small school and can't consistently block or catch.

4) Lorenzo Jerome, S, St. Francis - In a great safety draft, Bears fall in love with his turnovers and overlook the fact that he's short, slow, and a small school guy not ready to contribute.

4) Noah Brown, WR, Ohio State - It's hard to find a WR in this draft I don't like, but it's hard to get behind a guy with like 40 career receptions.

5) Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho - Bears try to solve one punter drafting mistake by taking another one even earlier.

7) Hardy Nickerson, LB, Illinois - Bloodlines pick who can't play outside in a 3-4 and won't make the team inside.

I don't know enough to get deep into the draft as far as a nightmare draft but there are players I don't want in the rounds where they are likely to be taken.

1st Rd #3: TE Howard Far too many good options later in the draft.

1st Rd trade back: Jabril Peppers I know he's a great athlete, I still don't want to watch another safety who can't cover pass routes

2nd Rd:

Obi Melifonwu S All the elite measureables without the elite production. The film doesn't lie and there is zero reason to take on a DB project at this point in the draft. Give me the Budda Baker type of football players.

Tim Williams OLB: He's good when nobody blocks him beyond that there isn't much fight in his game. Might be one of the biggest fallers in this draft process as early on he was talked about as a top 20 player, now down to mid-2nd Rd

Carl Lawson OLB: Sort of the opposite of Williams physically but he won't be very productive against NFL OTs. Not worth our 2nd Rd pick, or 3rd Rd pick.

I don't know enough to get deep into the draft as far as a nightmare draft but there are players I don't want in the rounds where they are likely to be taken.

1st Rd #3: TE Howard Far too many good options later in the draft.

1st Rd trade back: Jabril Peppers I know he's a great athlete, I still don't want to watch another safety who can't cover pass routes

2nd Rd:

Obi Melifonwu S All the elite measureables without the elite production. The film doesn't lie and there is zero reason to take on a DB project at this point in the draft. Give me the Budda Baker type of football players.

Tim Williams OLB: He's good when nobody blocks him beyond that there isn't much fight in his game. Might be one of the biggest fallers in this draft process as early on he was talked about as a top 20 player, now down to mid-2nd Rd

Carl Lawson OLB: Sort of the opposite of Williams physically but he won't be very productive against NFL OTs. Not worth our 2nd Rd pick, or 3rd Rd pick.

In the first round taking a QB, as much as we want a good one, I do not see any of these QBs being anymore than than Journyman.

In the second taking a undesize player like a Hassam Reddick/ OLB

In the third a reach type player. like a Rausl Douglas/CB that is a 4th or 5th round type.