Is a franchise QB really needed?

jason

Mitch Trubisky may in fact become a good NFL QB. I will not argue that point. He is not yet. And he's definitley not a Franchise QB. But this discussion we are having has taken two paths. The first being whether you really need a Franchise QB to win it all. You and I appear to agree that you do not. Then the second path was about a list of QBs you thought were Franchise QBs and some were just good QBs which I said there were some on the list, you considered "meh" or good QBs that still needed time to be evaluated to determine whether they were Franchise level quality. And then a sub path evolved regarding how if Cutler was the measure of bad QBing then surely QBs like Newton must be too because his stats are similar, in some regards. And now we're back to saying that Franchise QBs aren't that key an element.

Yes I don't agree with you possibly?

Yes I was just pointing out that some of the so-called franchise QBs often had average performance. There's a wide variation to the performance level people consider as a franchise QB. I think some of that is media driven where some players bad games are accepted as just a bad day and when Cutler would throw two INT's in a game the comments were always "here he goes again". You just don't hear that with Andrew Luck's multiple INT games. Or how the fact Cam Newton's career completion percentage is just 58%, with last season an impressive 53% and it is completely overlooked in the discussion. Yes, Cam can rush and so he ran for 359 yards last year. If Trubisky puts up a year like that in his 6th season everyone will call him a bust.

http://www.nfl.com/player/camnewton/2495455/careerstats

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eli Superbowls with a great defense

Newton Superbowl with a great defense

IMO it just validates that you don't need an elite franchise QB, just a good one and then build around them. Cam greatly benefitted from all the turnovers and short fields his defense gave him in his MVP year. He failed miserably in the biggest game of his career and pouted about it afterwards and ran off the stage league MVP style. Hard to see how that's not worse behavior that what Cutler had done on many occasions. That's not the first time Cam was pouting like that, nor was it his last. When that defense couldn't support him the same way in 2016 he was average.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?type=post

Jay Cutler had 1 playoff win, 1 playoff loss. Romo had 2 playoff wins, 4 playoff losses. Matt Ryan has 2 playoff wins, 5 playoff losses including the biggest collapse in Superbowl history. Cam Newton is 3 win/3 loss.

Mitch Trubisky has everything needed to become a good QB.

Pretty much how I feel.

I don't think it's about franchise QBs in terms of the way that is thought of. Franchise QBs are guys who can take shit sandwiches and still deliver an edible meal. Most of the other guys are just looked at that way when there is a considerable supporting cast. I still feel Jay Cutler could have been that guy in Chicago if he ever got the support from the team. Instead, the OL was bad the entire time he was in Chicago. You can't win when the QB is on his back, and it's the precise reason why Jay thinks the Bears shouldn't start Trubisky this year.