Greg Gabriel's Take on Bears

DABEARSDABOMB

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/chi...c-expectations/

Thought this was a really really good read. Agree with pretty much everything he says, with the obvious key how the QB position emerges, especially in the second half of the season. Highly possible we are going to get dug into a big hole with that start of the season, but if we could put on a strong finish, from Fox's perspective, it could be the way to save his job (and I don't think he's a bad coach and I like the idea of continuity and him staying around vs. restarting thing) while creating good positive momentum for 2018. Trubisky is key to all of this, but defense is so much better than a few years ago, albeit we still have a lack of playmakers in the secondary. To be honest, we are a developed QB, a wideout, and a strong DB from being what I'd call a damn good team. The QB is the hard piece, but we have a guy who could be that with time (he may not too...but we've at least invested in a guy who has a shot at doing that).

Knowing this is going to be a process and the start of the year might be rough (and I think we should all recognize that) but big picture, It has been a long time when I've been this excited looking forward as a Bear fan!!!

Seems a logical and reasonable assessment at this point in time. Obviously , much can change as we go along. THanks for sharing.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/chi...c-expectations/

Thought this was a really really good read. Agree with pretty much everything he says, with the obvious key how the QB position emerges, especially in the second half of the season. Highly possible we are going to get dug into a big hole with that start of the season, but if we could put on a strong finish, from Fox's perspective, it could be the way to save his job (and I don't think he's a bad coach and I like the idea of continuity and him staying around vs. restarting thing) while creating good positive momentum for 2018. Trubisky is key to all of this, but defense is so much better than a few years ago, albeit we still have a lack of playmakers in the secondary. To be honest, we are a developed QB, a wideout, and a strong DB from being what I'd call a damn good team. The QB is the hard piece, but we have a guy who could be that with time (he may not too...but we've at least invested in a guy who has a shot at doing that).

Knowing this is going to be a process and the start of the year might be rough (and I think we should all recognize that) but big picture, It has been a long time when I've been this excited looking forward as a Bear fan!!!

This article has already been discussed on this board and just because Gabriel is a former scouting director doesn't mean his assessment is spot on because if it was he would be doing so and not writing articles.

I wouldn't completely discount it. Just because he is not doing something he is good at doesn't necessarily mean he is bad at it and people don't want him. This business has exploded in the last decade and the competition is tough. He may not be the best but following him, he is spot on most of the time. I know he had a bone to pick with the organization and at times can be overly critical. However in this case, 7-9 seems completely in the realm of the possible.

I wouldn't completely discount it. Just because he is not doing something he is good at doesn't necessarily mean he is bad at it and people don't want him. This business has exploded in the last decade and the competition is tough. He may not be the best but following him, he is spot on most of the time. I know he had a bone to pick with the organization and at times can be overly critical. However in this case, 7-9 seems completely in the realm of the possible.

Usually he actually gives pretty kind/fair remarks on the organization. While Gabriel is out of the job, I thought he was older and is more "retired" then anything else. The dude had an extremely long and productive career and was part of one of the more successful Bears runs. Everyone on this board likes to rip Angelo, but during his tenure, our franchise did a lot of great things. It had its challenges but to call the Angelo era a failure would be harsh.

I am on board with Gabriel. He has great insight and does a good job giving fans a picture how the NFL scouting world works. Follow him on Twitter and he is one of my favorite reads. He responds to fans also (me), which is cool.

Fox is as good as gone if the Bears don't drastically improve from last year. He will be coming into next season as a lame duck head coach, so the timing for a change would set itself up pretty well, if that's what Pace wants. My guess is Pace would want to bring in an offensive guy he can trust to develop Trubisky.