Who are we?

ChileBear

The 1985 season, for me, was bliss. That team had the best D ever (IMdO) and Jimmy Mac, when healthy, was dangerous with Sweetness next to him.

So, my question is, what would those 1985 Ditka led Beras have to say to the 2018 Naggy led kids? What would Buddy Ryan have to say to Fangio? Would they have wanted the orange jerseys? What would Butt Head tell Parkey?

Just to have those guys together and compare, I'd love to be the fly on the wall.

I don't think we completely know yet.  We do know that we have a "any given Sunday" type of team that can beat anyone.  So far, we are too young and inexperienced to have an identity.  We are closer on D than we are on O.  I'm looking forward to see if Fangio gets away from the vanilla enough to dial up some terror.  If that can happen successfully, then we'll have an identity.

31 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't think we completely know yet.  We do know that we have a "any given Sunday" type of team that can beat anyone.  So far, we are too young and inexperienced to have an identity.  We are closer on D than we are on O.  I'm looking forward to see if Fangio gets away from the vanilla enough to dial up some terror.  If that can happen successfully, then we'll have an identity.

Oh please, bring on the terror!

I agree with everything you guys have written here.

I also want to say that I really appreciate the way Nagy is developing Trubisky. All too often, coaches start with a "let's be Trent Dilfer first, and if we can rely on a running game and defense, we can win some games, and then we will grow the QB from there" and all that does is teach your QB to suck.

Nagy is allowing Trubisky to be a real live threat at the QB position, even as he isnt ready for it. Hes letting him make mistakes, throw big, and learn how to be a killer. You dont learn that by practicing ballet. You learn by doing.

At times I've likened Trubisky to a baby predator. One minute it's making natural movements that look like a real killer, and the next, surprised to trip over his own tail. But we can see he is growing every week, and looking more and more the part.

So to the main question here, I think Nagy is working on identity more than most coaches do. I think it's part of what drives his core decisions, and I think he's right too. He's the best coach we've had in a long time, and I am thrilled.

Pace has done a very good job too. This is a real good young group with a window that's already open, and will stay open for many years.

We are building a team that doesnt just hope to win, but to dominate. We arent fully there yet of course, but you can see it, and everyone is starting to believe.

The best part of all this IMHO is that we Bears fans have have endured mediocrity for the better part of the past 3 decades.  In that time we've seen the Bears have the occasional surprise season(s) only to disappear again.  What we are seeing now has the possibility to be sustained success.  We could become a perennial playoff team who can contend for multiple titles. If Pace can continue to draft well and add talented depth to keep this thing going long term the future is bright.

44 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

The best part of all this IMHO is that we Bears fans have have endured mediocrity for the better part of the past 3 decades.  In that time we've seen the Bears have the occasional surprise season(s) only to disappear again.  What we are seeing now has the possibility to be sustained success.  We could become a perennial playoff team who can contend for multiple titles. If Pace can continue to draft well and add talented depth to keep this thing going long term the future is bright.

we used to hope to get some breaks, keep the opponents off the field, limit turnovers etc. nothing since 85 has been about kicking ass, taking initiative and dictating. now we are reaching for that, and its damned good to see.

We are dangerous.  Even without the consistency we have so many ways to beat a team today.  We can either put of 40 or 50pts or hold the opponent to 13pts with multiple turnovers.  Week to week is always a crap shoot, even this week with such a short turn around.  However it is very clear we are getting better each month.  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

We are dangerous.  Even without the consistency we have so many ways to beat a team today.  We can either put of 40 or 50pts or hold the opponent to 13pts with multiple turnovers.  Week to week is always a crap shoot, even this week with such a short turn around.  However it is very clear we are getting better each month.  

yup! one of the things that really sticks out to me is that we are scoring 35+ points regularly, even as the offense is inconsistent and immature. When they get their rhythm together it's gonna be really scary. This is awesome.