Jonathan Taylor

AZ54

We've all talked about the need to add speed to our offense.  At 43 there is a good chance Jonathan Taylor is on the board.  He ran a 4.39 forty and that speed shows up on the field all the time.  You constantly see players grabbing air.  Or he just runs them over with his power.   If we can't solve our QB problem, and there is little reason to be highly optimistic on either Trubisky or Foles, why not do what the Ravens did with Trent Dilfer:  Run the ball behind two good RBs and let your defense do the talking.  Of course Nagy will have to find a way to call a running play.  

I know there are concerns with run blocking but Ifedi is actually a very good run blocker.  Same with Daniels and Whitehair.  Massie does well too at least he's better there than chasing edge rushers.  Leno would be the weak link of course but he can usually get in the way of someone (sadly not always).  In any case we could draft an OT at 50.  Or we get the ideal trade back from 50 and use those two picks on OT and then S.  There are some decent WRs that can be had late in the draft if we want some speed (Devin Duvernay) and with so much depth at WR teams at some point will be done with WR and be focused on adding other positions.    

I haven't done any of my mocks this way because I've been of the mindset we can grab a RB on day 3.  Yet this option fills several needs:  1) Don't put all your eggs in the TruFoles basket    2) Add speed to the offense      and 3)  Be able to run enough clock on offensive possessions to get the D some rest so they can still shutdown the other team in the fourth quarter.   Toss in the fact rookie RBs are much more likely to be effective in their first season as opposed to rookie WRs.  Wear down a defense and now your jet sweeps with Cohen or Patterson suddenly look like much better play calls in the 2nd half.  

I have to say watching defenders tackle Taylor and Montgomery all game long would make me smile.   I don't think it can be done for 4 quarters as long as our Oline is decent.  My biggest hang up here is I can't envision Nagy calling 7 running plays in a row even if he's gaining 5 yards each.  

My mock at https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine looked like this:

I understand the rationale, but after trading up for Monty last year feels like this would be a redundant add so early in the draft. We definitely need another RB, but I can't see us taking one within the first few picks, and especially if we don't trade down.

The entire league has shifted away from elite RBs. Look at the teams Barkley and McCaffrey are on, they are terrible. So an elite RB on his own is not going to do much for you. Again, I am not opposed to adding one, and someone like Taylor would be great, but I just don't see it.

SF relied on guys like Mostert and Breida where neither were drafted. KC's leading back who almost was the SB MVP was also undrafted. That is not a coincidence.

Now on your draft, it looks great outside of the early RB selection.

I think if they trade back and get extra picks, they absolutely will add a speedy RB. My favorite is Antonio Gibson, he can be a WR or RB and is considered a 3-4th round pick.  So if we trade back get a SS, OT and grab Gibson and a Duvernay between 80-120 with our extra picks, you have speed to compete this yr. 

A RB will not be a wasted pick plus Gibson had more touches at WR this yr. 

Not interested.  You already used a 3rd round pick last year on Montgomery, which you get by trading a 5th last year and a 4th this year.  Then you use a 2nd this year, all to dedicate to maybe the most replaceable position on the roster.  Like others have said, I'm all for using a later round pick for depth, but I'd like to see what Montgomery can do with actual blocking before we look to replace him. 

10 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Not interested.  You already used a 3rd round pick last year on Montgomery, which you get by trading a 5th last year and a 4th this year.  Then you use a 2nd this year, all to dedicate to maybe the most replaceable position on the roster.  Like others have said, I'm all for using a later round pick for depth, but I'd like to see what Montgomery can do with actual blocking before we look to replace him. 

That's generally the way I see it too but I thought it was interesting to go through the "what if" process.    Taylor is the only one who really fits this need for speed.  I have no interest in Swift or Dobbins early even though I like both as RBs.  There are couple RB options with speed later in the draft but they have significant holes in their game: McFarland, Gibson, Darryton Evans but they might be the right complimentary piece to Montgomery.    

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's generally the way I see it too but I thought it was interesting to go through the "what if" process.    Taylor is the only one who really fits this need for speed.  I have no interest in Swift or Dobbins early even though I like both as RBs.  There are couple RB options with speed later in the draft but they have significant holes in their game: McFarland, Gibson, Darryton Evans but they might be the right complimentary piece to Montgomery.    

The fact that we are looking for a speed back we might be able to get in the late rounds makes it extra dumb that we lost Kerrith Whyte last year because we decided to put him on the practice squad instead of Ryan Nall . . .

What about Montgomery would make you want to pass on Taylor at 43? I'd upgrade the running Game and with him and a few hogs and ride a speed game with our defense a la SF.

Who's turning him and then flipping 50 into two offensive lineman then snagging a safety in the fourth? Hell, I'd take Hurts if he's there in the 4th rd and go full Baltimore.

Adapt, overcome, make shit up.

7 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

What about Montgomery would make you want to pass on Taylor at 43? I'd upgrade the running Game and with him and a few hogs and ride a speed game with our defense a la SF.

Who's turning him and then flipping 50 into two offensive lineman then snagging a safety in the fourth? Hell, I'd take Hurts if he's there in the 4th rd and go full Baltimore.

Adapt, overcome, make shit up.

I wouldn't be against putting the games on the RBs shoulders. Now let's look at SF, they had no name RBs. If the choice is Taylor RB or a 10 year starting OT/G which way should they go? 

1 hour ago, killakrzydav said:

In your scenario, Taylor is a 8-10 years starter as well?

Taylor everyday

He could be, just wondering if having a great oline would make any RB look good. SF did a nice job with their no names, while NYG Barkley and DAL Elliott watched from home.  I thought we needed another RB early on. I am not opposed to taking a top one if available like Taylor. It comes down to holding on to Leno and Massie maybe longer than they should.  

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He could be, just wondering if having a great oline would make any RB look good. SF did a nice job with their no names, while NYG Barkley and DAL Elliott watched from home.  I thought we needed another RB early on. I am not opposed to taking a top one if available like Taylor. It comes down to holding on to Leno and Massie maybe longer than they should.  

Todd Gurley dragged the LA Rams into the playoffs with Jared Goff as their QB.  Then he was injured and we saw what the QB really was.  As far as Zeke there is no denying his impact on that offense.  Dallas did have a very good Oline but they were using late Rd picks at RB for years with ok results.  Zeke changed it overnight.  He and Gurley kinda started this little resurgence in the popularity of RBs early in the draft.  

As far as Leno:  If he's playing like he did last year, I don't think it will be much of a challenge to find an OT at 50 to take over for him.  That might even be easy to do if we trade back into the 3rd Rd.    Massie we can hold onto another year especially if we're running the ball 50% of the time (or more).    

I just know we need speed on offense having one legit home run threat on the field will help.  While we can find fast RBs or WRs late in the draft they are not nearly as polished as Taylor is and won't be able to contribute as much in their rookie season.  A WR at 43 like Reagor or Aiyuk should be to contribute this year too but I'm keeping all 3 of these guys on my wish list at 43.