Why I Wanted an OT

Mongo3451

Clearly from our first two picks Pace is drafting to win now.  The reason I wanted to draft an OT high is for the same reason.

For starters, teams that draft OL early and often generally have a good to great OL.  We simply don't find enough time in that slot.  Bobby Massie is reaching the age and attrition where he is going to miss games and/or fall off on production. (IE: last year)  Then, we move to Charles Leno.  Some say it was the wedding.  Some say it's the baby.  Fact is, he didn't put in the work and basically stole his paycheck last year.  He is a marginal athlete which makes his dedication in the weight room essential.  You can tell from many of his breakdowns that he wss cheating his craft because he didn't have the strength to hold his technique.

Some say, why draft an OT early when we don't have many pics?  He's not going to start anyway.  My answer is this.  Who do you want motivating Leno to work hard to keep his job.  Who do you want coming off the bench when Massie gets hurt?  Who do you want protecting your quarterback, especially if we draft a new one next year?

Pace must stop moving up in the draft.  He's cost us the equivalent of an entire draft on his short tenure.  That is the sole reason we don't have the core strength at our depth positions. The only way I'll accept him doing that again, is if he somehow can get Trent Williams.

I think they are going to throw a bunch of guys in at Castillo and see who wins. Let Leno, Massie, Bars, Ifedi, and Spriggs battle it out for the 2 OT's and then rest become backups with one sliding to RG. Ifedi has a ton of experience, Spriggs was miscast and injured in GB, and Bars is still a wild card who would've been a much higher pick if not injured. I still think we pick one up at the end of the draft and another in free agency post draft to come in and compete.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Clearly from our first two picks Pace is drafting to win now.  The reason I wanted to draft an OT high is for the same reason.

For starters, teams that draft OL early and often generally have a good to great OL.  We simply don't find enough time in that slot.  Bobby Massie is reaching the age and attrition where he is going to miss games and/or fall off on production. (IE: last year)  Then, we move to Charles Leno.  Some say it was the wedding.  Some say it's the baby.  Fact is, he didn't put in the work and basically stole his paycheck last year.  He is a marginal athlete which makes his dedication in the weight room essential.  You can tell from many of his breakdowns that he wss cheating his craft because he didn't have the strength to hold his technique.

Some say, why draft an OT early when we don't have many pics?  He's not going to start anyway.  My answer is this.  Who do you want motivating Leno to work hard to keep his job.  Who do you want coming off the bench when Massie gets hurt?  Who do you want protecting your quarterback, especially if we draft a new one next year?

Pace must stop moving up in the draft.  He's cost us the equivalent of an entire draft on his short tenure.  That is the sole reason we don't have the core strength at our depth positions. The only way I'll accept him doing that again, is if he somehow can get Trent Williams.

I agree 100%.  It’s not just the offensive line that we needed to add depth to but also our d-line who is getting older.  

Going into this draftI thought it was imperative that we upgrade our secondary, passing game with a WR or TE, and o-line.   Knowing that we’d only be able to address 2 of the 3, I was REALLY hoping we manage a trade down.  Although even if we had, the next offensive lineman drafted was Ezra Cleveland at #58.  In fact he was the only two offensive linemen taken in the 2nd round were him and Robert Hunt at #39.  

One reason we were short on picks this year was because we traded for Mack.  Do you regret that move?  I think it was great.  

Hub Arkush is suggesting we make a run for Trent Williams.  Maybe that will happen?  

We added two immediate contributors and we have all our picks for next year, except for our 7th which we gave when we traded for Pineiro.  

1 hour ago, bradjock said:

I agree 100%.  It’s not just the offensive line that we needed to add depth to but also our d-line who is getting older.  

Going into this draftI thought it was imperative that we upgrade our secondary, passing game with a WR or TE, and o-line.   Knowing that we’d only be able to address 2 of the 3, I was REALLY hoping we manage a trade down.  Although even if we had, the next offensive lineman drafted was Ezra Cleveland at #58.  In fact he was the only two offensive linemen taken in the 2nd round were him and Robert Hunt at #39.  

One reason we were short on picks this year was because we traded for Mack.  Do you regret that move?  I think it was great.  

Hub Arkush is suggesting we make a run for Trent Williams.  Maybe that will happen?  

We added two immediate contributors and we have all our picks for next year, except for our 7th which we gave when we traded for Pineiro.  

Trent William's is now a 49er.  

I don't know if the Bears will ever break out and become a dominant franchise.  They have to get the drafts right.  They need to become rich with picks and trade down more times than up to accumulate future picks.  I hope they don't trade future to move up a round this morning because it would cost us.   

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Trent William's is now a 49er.  

I don't know if the Bears will ever break out and become a dominant franchise.  They have to get the drafts right.  They need to become rich with picks and trade down more times than up to accumulate future picks.  I hope they don't trade future to move up a round this morning because it would cost us.   

I don't care about trade down vs. trade up...it's all about finding or developing pro bowl caliber players.  Doesn't matter to me if you trade up in the 4th Rd for Eddie Jackson.   Get enough of those players and the rest can be filled with JAGs, either FA or via draft, who know their role and play it well enough.  Nor do I care if they come by way of FA ala Akiem Hicks.  We traded two first Rd picks for Mack yet there is no doubt he instantly made our entire defense better. 

As seen on Reddit: 

Bears Receive: EDGE Khalil Mack + Giant Contract, TE Cole Kmet. Raiders Receive: RB Josh Jacobs, CB Damon Arnette, WR Bryan Edwards. Which side are you taking?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2017/4/29/18321326/bears-trade-up-draft-alabama-s-eddie-jackson

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I don't care about trade down vs. trade up...it's all about finding or developing pro bowl caliber players.  Doesn't matter to me if you trade up in the 4th Rd for Eddie Jackson.   Get enough of those players and the rest can be filled with JAGs, either FA or via draft, who know their role and play it well enough.  Nor do I care if they come by way of FA ala Akiem Hicks.  We traded two first Rd picks for Mack yet there is no doubt he instantly made our entire defense better. 

As seen on Reddit: 

Bears Receive: EDGE Khalil Mack + Giant Contract, TE Cole Kmet. Raiders Receive: RB Josh Jacobs, CB Damon Arnette, WR Bryan Edwards. Which side are you taking?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2017/4/29/18321326/bears-trade-up-draft-alabama-s-eddie-jackson

I feel Pace trades up far too often.  It is fine if that player turns into Jackson, but they also turn into Floyd and Trubisky.  They have been short handed on picks for many years because they have failed in the draft. So they buy players.  Cutler, Marshall, and Mack came at high costs.