Ted Ginn a Bear

BearFan2000

I think they have nailed the speed WR position down for now.  Ginn can teach Mooney some lessons while at it too because it will take him time to earn his place to even dress.  All Ginn needs to do is catch a few bombs to establish that threat.  Nice to see a need filled for now and later. 

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think they have nailed the speed WR position down for now.  Ginn can teach Mooney some lessons while at it too because it will take him time to earn his place to even dress.  All Ginn needs to do is catch a few bombs to establish that threat.  Nice to see a need filled for now and later. 

Good fit.  While Ginn doesn't have the best hands no player last that long in the NFL without knowing the details of their job.  He should be a good mentor for Mr. Mooney, or at least someone to watch first-hand to see how it's done, how the route is run.  

I don't think Wims makes the roster this year.  I expect Ridley to take his place as a backup WR.   ARob, Miller, Mooney, Ginn, Ridley, Patterson and we still have Cohen who is really a slot WR with part time RB carries.   We can stash someone like the 6'4" Thomas Ives on the practice squad and he's eligible to bring up to the roster on game days.  

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Good fit.  While Ginn doesn't have the best hands no player last that long in the NFL without knowing the details of their job.  He should be a good mentor for Mr. Mooney, or at least someone to watch first-hand to see how it's done, how the route is run.  

I don't think Wims makes the roster this year.  I expect Ridley to take his place as a backup WR.   ARob, Miller, Mooney, Ginn, Ridley, Patterson and we still have Cohen who is really a slot WR with part time RB carries.   We can stash someone like the 6'4" Thomas Ives on the practice squad and he's eligible to bring up to the roster on game days.  

They gave Wims 2 seasons to show something in regular season games, and he hasn't shown enough. Now it's time to give Ridley a shot. 

19 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think Wims makes the roster this year.  I expect Ridley to take his place as a backup WR.   ARob, Miller, Mooney, Ginn, Ridley, Patterson and we still have Cohen who is really a slot WR with part time RB carries.   We can stash someone like the 6'4" Thomas Ives on the practice squad and he's eligible to bring up to the roster on game 

I hope they don't give up on Wims before he even hits year 3.  He is next man up behind the X Robinson right now.  Miller is going to play the slot with Patterson backing him. Ginn plays Z with Ridley behind him.  

With the Bears most likely running more two TE sets, the slot will be out more.  Miller might line up at Z occasionally in those sets. To be honest, I would not be surprised to see Mooney redshirted/PS. 

28 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I hope they don't give up on Wims before he even hits year 3.  He is next man up behind the X Robinson right now.  Miller is going to play the slot with Patterson backing him. Ginn plays Z with Ridley behind him.  

With the Bears most likely running more two TE sets, the slot will be out more.  Miller might line up at Z occasionally in those sets. To be honest, I would not be surprised to see Mooney redshirted/PS. 

I'd be surprised mostly that we'd take the risk of leaving him exposed to where another team can snap him up.   Maybe those rules have changed with the new CBA?  

40 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Teams are always looking for speed. No matter who doesn't make the team out of Wims/Ridley/Mooney, they're gone. 

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If they  go on the practice squad, we have the right to keep him provided we add him to the roster.  

Yes but first they are aFA and have to choose our practice squad or they can go to any other team.    

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'd be surprised mostly that we'd take the risk of leaving him exposed to where another team can snap him up.   Maybe those rules have changed with the new CBA?  

It's just my hunch they will stash him.  Maybe they use one of the extra roster spots, practice squad, or a vague camp injury.  We know rookie WRs rarely dress game day, so he is an extra unless they end up cutting Ginn after preseason. Use Ginn to that point.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

Just based on draft status, Mooney is making the 53-man. The odd man out is Wims. 

I no way want to see them lose Mooney.  Just saying if there is a way to stash him they might. Look at Ridley who's draft status is even higher than Mooney, which experts said he could have been rd 2-3 talent.  He was active for 5 games only.  He played behind Miller, so it was hard to get in.  Late round WR rookies rarely get action.   If the Bears part way with Wims depends on FA addition Trevor Davis and if they feel better having him backing up Robinson.  

X (LWR) Robinson, Wims, (Davis)

Y (Slot) Miller, Ridley

Z (RWR) Ginn, Mooney, (Patterson)

Since Patterson is a ST ace and a joker (WR/RB), they keep him even though his value at WR is low.  He may see more snaps at RB as mentioned in another thread.  Also, they have 2 additional roster spots.  It helps on making tough decisions which will include keeping a CB like Shelly who may be on the bubble. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I no way want to see them lose Mooney.  Just saying if there is a way to stash him they might. Look at Ridley who's draft status is even higher than Mooney, which experts said he could have been rd 2-3 talent.  He was active for 5 games only.  He played behind Miller, so it was hard to get in.  Late round WR rookies rarely get action.   If the Bears part way with Wims depends on FA addition Trevor Davis and if they feel better having him backing up Robinson.  

X (LWR) Robinson, Wims, (Davis)

Y (Slot) Miller, Ridley

Z (RWR) Ginn, Mooney, (Patterson)

Since Patterson is a ST ace and a joker (WR/RB), they keep him even though his value at WR is low.  He may see more snaps at RB as mentioned in another thread.  Also, they have 2 additional roster spots.  It helps on making tough decisions which will include keeping a CB like Shelly who may be on the bubble. 

The roster is still 53 but can go up to 55 for game day, or for a week, by adding two players from the practice squad.   Game day actives go up from 46 to 48 which is great but one of the 48 must be an additional Oline player.   

53 vs. 55  It appears we will do cut downs to 53 and then sign 12 players to our practice squad (used to be 10).   Each week two of the practice squad players can be designated as part of the 55 man roster and they will earn additional money and benefits for that.  Next year the practice squad increases to 14 players.  I believe this was designed as a way for teams to protect two talented players from being poached off the practice squad.   

It may also make it easier to fill gaps for players on IR Designated To Return (DTR).  You could designate a PS RB to the 55 man roster for 8 weeks until a player returns off IR.  This way you don't have to cut them from the active roster making them a FA briefly until they agree to a new deal on the practice squad.   I might be wrong on that but it always seemed once we cut from active roster the player could sign anywhere even another teams practice squad.  I also assume signing a practice squad player from another team can still only be done if you add them to your 53.   Does being on IR DTR count as being on the 53/55 man roster?  Lots of details to sort out here.  

Teams can also return 3 players from injured reserve during the season.  

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The roster is still 53 but can go up to 55 for game day, or for a week, by adding two players from the practice squad.   Game day actives go up from 46 to 48 which is great but one of the 48 must be an additional Oline player.   

53 vs. 55  It appears we will do cut downs to 53 and then sign 12 players to our practice squad (used to be 10).   Each week two of the practice squad players can be designated as part of the 55 man roster and they will earn additional money and benefits for that.  Next year the practice squad increases to 14 players.  I believe this was designed as a way for teams to protect two talented players from being poached off the practice squad.   

It may also make it easier to fill gaps for players on IR Designated To Return (DTR).  You could designate a PS RB to the 55 man roster for 8 weeks until a player returns off IR.  This way you don't have to cut them from the active roster making them a FA briefly until they agree to a new deal on the practice squad.   I might be wrong on that but it always seemed once we cut from active roster the player could sign anywhere even another teams practice squad.  I also assume signing a practice squad player from another team can still only be done if you add them to your 53.   Does being on IR DTR count as being on the 53/55 man roster?  Lots of details to sort out here.  

Teams can also return 3 players from injured reserve during the

This is cloudy to understand.  So they have a 53 man roster, a 12 man practice squad and a 2 man "tweener". The 2 tweeners are protected from poaching and actually dress game day. It seems like they can change who they have in this tweener role and they get paid extra while in it.  Now we need to see if they are protected at the cutdown deadline from poaching.  That makes an huge difference and if so, they might, even though doubtful, stash Mooney. I do see Mooney slated #2 Z behind Ginn. Patterson a Z at WR also may snatch a RB spot. 

If one if those tweeners has to be an Olineman, then Hambright seems fitting.  He is OT/G versatile. The other, maybe they protect Shelly if he can even go to the PS. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

This is cloudy to understand.  So they have a 53 man roster, a 12 man practice squad and a 2 man "tweener". The 2 tweeners are protected from poaching and actually dress game day. It seems like they can change who they have in this tweener role and they get paid extra while in it.  Now we need to see if they are protected at the cutdown deadline from poaching.  That makes an huge difference and if so, they might, even though doubtful, stash Mooney. I do see Mooney slated #2 Z behind Ginn. Patterson a Z at WR also may snatch a RB spot. 

If one if those tweeners has to be an Olineman, then Hambright seems fitting.  He is OT/G versatile. The other, maybe they protect Shelly if he can even go to the PS. 

A tweener does not have to be an Olineman.   Just one of the additional game day actives has to be.  So it seems there is a minimum # of Oline that need to be active on game day.  

I think they keep 15=3 RBs-5  TEs - 7 WRs.  Patterson gets listed as a RB. Holtz as a TE/ FB. .the last WR spot will be between Wims and Jones.  The last TE spot will between Horsted or Braunnecker. They may keep a 4th RB instead of 7 WRs of which may not be on the roster yet.

Ginn and ARob and Miller in the slot will be our starting WRs. 

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they keep 15=3 RBs-5  TEs - 7 WRs.  Patterson gets listed as a RB. Holtz as a TE/ FB. .the last WR spot will be between Wims and Jones.  The last TE spot will between Horsted or Braunnecker. They may keep a 4th RB instead of 7 WRs of which may not be on the roster yet.

Ginn and ARob and Miller in the slot will be our starting WRs. 

The had 4 RBs, 6 WRs, and 4 TEs on the opening day roster in 2019. 7 WRs is pretty high if only 2-3 are getting snaps, I don't think they keep more than 6 there. With TE, once you get above 4, you are talking about a 3rd string TE. The only way they carry 5 is if they have Holtz as a FB. It's going to be interesting, but just based on the numbers game, guys like Wims, Braunecker and Horsted may not make the cut.