Turning the page

ASHKUM BEAR

Landing Justin Fields added a new chapter that no one knew was coming.  We figured this book was ending with the Red Rifle leading the Bears down a tanking season with hopes of landing a top 1-3 pick next year.  Could you imagine going through that scenario and then the top QB prospect is from North Carolina.  That would have been a nightmare.  The magic that just happened guaranteed a sequel.  As I look at this team and it's new needs, next season I am thinking they are looking for a WR and CB as high priority (2-3).  It would be nice to get another WR with size and also find a solid replacement for Fuller.  Then (5,6, & 7) S, OLB, ILB,  & DT are all needs the D will soon need and I can see another OT for depth and maybe TE on offense.  By landing Fields, the Bears have put themselves back into a SB window many years earlier. 

Screenshot_20210612-223231_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm hoping it's possible that Robinson now has more motivation to stay with Fields on board and taking the offense to a new level once he's ready to take over.  Perhaps this will motivate Robinson to work out a deal to stay here and be a part of this.  Fields represents possibly the best QB he'd ever played with. On the other hand if this is his last year here, then I think the Bears will still be alright.  We'll draft and probably bring in new FA's to take his place.  I feel like we have a QB in Fields that will make his receivers better, rather than a QB who needs his receivers to make him look better.  

Next year is going to be interesting for WRs. Only Mooney, Ridley, and Newsome have contracts past this year.

The Bears have a ton of free agents after this season and only $37M in cap space, so it is going to be interesting.

Offense:

ARob - extend
Miller 
Goodwin  - extend
Byrd  - extend
Wims
Graham
Holtz (RFA)  - extend
Daniels  - extend
Mustipher (ERFA)  - extend
Williams 
Bars (RFA)  - extend

Hicks
Nichols  - extend
Vaughters (RFA) - extend
Iyiegbuniwe  - extend
Jones  - extend
Woods (RFA)  - extend
Gipson  - extend
Trufant
Bush  - extend
Houston-Carson  - extend
Burns
Roberson

O'Donnell  - extend
Scales  - extend

That is 17 extensions, which is hard to see that happening. So we have to clear more space:

Potential Cap Casualties:
1. Quinn - $3.1M Dead Cap, $12.9M savings - Cut
2. Trevathan - $2.4M Dead Cap, $3.5M savings - Cut
3. Dalton - $2.5M Dead Cap, $2.5M savings - Cut
4. Cohen - $1.75M Dead Cap, $4M savings - depends on how he looks post ACL. If he is worse, then you have to consider cutting him at that salary.
5. Goldman - $2.95M Dead Cap, $8.8M savings - huge cap hit and he is another guy to watch this season. He may end up as a cut if he doesn't perform well.

Those 5 would clear over $31M, but then make 2-3 starter holes depending on who you view as a starter.

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think ARob won't be staying unless he sees 20 mil a year. To many WRs getting big money.

I think it is also unlikely and a good reason to use a high draft pick on one next draft.  Pace needs to build around Fields. Something he did not do to well for Mitch.