Free season for Nagy?

Uncle Buck

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

You keep bringing up Furrey.  He reports to Nagy and will go when he does, so he's kinda moot.  This whole train wreck starts with Pace.  If Nagy was the key villain, Pace would have dispatched him last year.  If not, he's even more incompetent than I thought.

I have a theory that Pace sees firing Nagy as disloyal - and that is absolute malpractice, and will result in Pace being fired as well. Unless the people above Pace have the same problem.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

You keep bringing up Furrey.  He reports to Nagy and will go when he does, so he's kinda moot.  This whole train wreck starts with Pace.  If Nagy was the key villain, Pace would have dispatched him last year.  If not, he's even more incompetent than I thought.

If they are going to keep Nagy, someone has to be accountable for the WR train wreck. 

2 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

I have a theory that Pace sees firing Nagy as disloyal - and that is absolute malpractice, and will result in Pace being fired as well. Unless the people above Pace have the same problem.

Pace also has to think of self-preservation. The only way he keeps his job is if he fires Nagy, which implies Nagy was the problem, not his roster creation. If he rides with Nagy, I think they both are gone after this season.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Pace also has to think of self-preservation. The only way he keeps his job is if he fires Nagy, which implies Nagy was the problem, not his roster creation. If he rides with Nagy, I think they both are gone after this season.

So then why didn't Pace play that card during the offseason? Count that as another BIG mistake.

10 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

So then why didn't Pace play that card during the offseason? Count that as another BIG mistake.

COVID. It gave most people a free pass. I think the org saw the outcome last year as a success. You guys made the playoffs during COVID with Mitch Trubisky at QB? Great job! That is what I think happened. However, if Pace wants to continue working in the league, he has to make some tough decisions and firing Nagy has to be one of them. If he doesn't he is going down with Nagy in the dumpster fire train wreck clown car.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Lord help us if someone that low level is the scapegoat.  At least last year it was Pagano and the year before Hiestand.

I wouldn't say to do it as a scapegoat. More to the point of accountability. The WRs may be the most disappointing and underperforming unit on the entire team, and that says a lot considering the O-Line and Safeties. The Bears replaced Miller and Wims with Goodwin and Byrd, both established WRs with a ton of speed. They are basically AWOL. ARob has literally fallen off of the map so bad from being considered a top 10 WR last year to being dropped by Fantasy Teams this season. That shows how much his production has fallen. Mooney will be lucky to match what he did as a rookie last season w/o a preseason as a 2nd year WR with a full offseason. 

People talk about developing players. The Head Coach doesn't directly develop players, those are the position coaches and coordinators. As much as Nagy should get the blame for the horrible offensive design and playcalling, he is less to blame for players not developing. Where is Kmet's leap? There are very few Bears players that are improving from one year to the next. The best one I can think of is Trevis Gipson, but who knows if that is learning from Mack and Quinn every day. 

So at some point, someone has to be accountable for this mess. It is easy to remove the figurehead as a statement, but sometimes the lesser moves have more of an impact. Something is clearly not working in the WR room.

1 hour ago, adam said:

People talk about developing players. The Head Coach doesn't directly develop players, those are the position coaches and coordinators. As much as Nagy should get the blame for the horrible offensive design and playcalling, he is less to blame for players not developing.

Man,  you are rowing a sinking ship.  Anytime your program is not good and you get to fire someone and keep your job, it's a scapegoat. 

The players you mentioned are underperforming due to Nagy and his terrible system.  They don't have time to get open, due to the routes taking too long or being easy to defend.  There is no time to throw the ball because of the OL.  They literally had 8 people pass blocking on the second play of the game and two people came in untouched.  They should have fired Nagy the day he said it takes five years to master his system.  (And as far Goodwin and Byrd are concerned; they aren't starter quality receivers anymore.  They may be fast, but it doesn't show in football speed.  And they are smallish)

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Man,  you are rowing a sinking ship.  Anytime your program is not good and you get to fire someone and keep your job, it's a scapegoat. 

The players you mentioned are underperforming due to Nagy and his terrible system.  They don't have time to get open, due to the routes taking too long or being easy to defend.  There is no time to throw the ball because of the OL.  They literally had 8 people pass blocking on the second play of the game and two people came in untouched.  They should have fired Nagy the day he said it takes five years to master his system.  (And as far Goodwin and Byrd are concerned; they aren't starter quality receivers anymore.  They may be fast, but it doesn't show in football speed.  And they are smallish)

I don't know about that. With any job, you could have bad QA/QC, bad marketing, etc. If you fire or relieve a VP of marketing, that doesn't mean they are the scapegoat if the lack of performance from marketing is impacting the business negatively. 

I am just saying if upper management is not going to fire Nagy, that shouldn't stop him from removing underperforming coaches at this point in the season.

I am also not saying Nagy is a problem, he is a huge problem, but if we can't fix that now, at least do something to improve the team during the season.

55 minutes ago, adam said:

I am just saying if upper management is not going to fire Nagy, that shouldn't stop him from removing underperforming coaches at this point in the season.

He's in his fourth year and all of the sudden underperforming?

I'm out...🙄

scape·goat
/ˈskāpˌɡōt/

noun
  1. 1.
    a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.