Darnell Mooney

scs787

I've spent a lot of time hyping up Byron Pringle this off-season,  but Mooney needs some love too. 

What makes a #1 WR in the NFL? How many are there? Last year Mooney was 15th in receiving yards among wide receivers(17th overall). He also was 6th in the league in creating separation. 

Mooneys best ability, imo, is his ability to get down field and create separation.  With the OL being pretty blah last year I don't think we were able to utilize that ability all that well. 

Fields and Mooney have been working out together all off-season, and with an improved offensive line, giving him the ability to work down the field more, I could see Mooney having just a monster year. 

Mooney has played well against some good CBs too, I remember him de-pantsing Ramsey only to have Foles miss him.

Fields and Mooney are locked in right now and I can only imagine that his numbers will be even better than last year's (81-1055, 4 TD). I am thinking something like an extra reception every game to get close to 100 receptions, 1200-1300 yards (his Y/R last year was 13.0) and 7-8 TDs.

Only 7 WRs had over 1200 yds last year (Kupp, Jefferson, Adams, Chase, Samuel, Hill, and Diggs). 

Only 9 WRs had over 100 receptions. 

Only 5 WRs had over 100 receptions AND 1200 yds (Kupp, Jefferson, Adams, Hill, Diggs). So if Mooney can do that, I don't know how you can't call him a WR1.

Valid points combined with the fact the new coaches noted that the timing between Fields and Mooney was off.  I don't know that I'd go as high as saying Mooney can be a #1 WR winning against double teams consistently but he's a really good #2 and he's going to get a very nice contract next year.  Any offense can be really good with a couple WRs like that.    

How many true #1s are out there? 15. I don't count players like Julio Jones or A J Green because they are past there prime. Ridley is not playing, OBJ hurt, Michael Thomas?, ARob, has to show it again.

Mooney don't compare the top 15 but if he gets 90-1200-7( close last year) every year that's a good WR.

81-1055-4.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, AZ54 said:

Valid points combined with the fact the new coaches noted that the timing between Fields and Mooney was off.  I don't know that I'd go as high as saying Mooney can be a #1 WR winning against double teams consistently but he's a really good #2 and he's going to get a very nice contract next year.  Any offense can be really good with a couple WRs like that.    

Agree, the myth that you must have a true #1 to be successful is just that.  If you have a collection of very good to great #2's and solid 3s, that can make up for the production of not having a true #1, and in some ways it's better IMO.  There's cases where a team has a true #1 but the rest of the WR corp is meh.  Defenses will take your #1 away and force you to beat them with your other WR's or on the ground.  Fixing our OL will go a long way towards improving timing between Fields and Mooney or any receivers.