Is Poles getting too much credit/not enough blame?

adam

5 hours ago, adam said:

There are 7 WRs in the 1st/2nd rounds have produced similarly to Claypool his rookie year. 

1st Round:
London 47-533-4
Wilson 57-790-4
Olave 60-887-3
Burks 25-359-1 (8 games)
2nd Round:
Watson 25-401-7 (10 games)
Pickens 37-512-2
Pierce 32-510-2

Claypool had 62-873-9 his rookie year.

Would you want Claypool with only 1 year left on his rookie deal (2023) or a rookie that produces similarly to the above group for 4 more years?

For sake of argument, there is only 3 WRs that will end up with similar numbers. Averaging out London and he ends up with 61-690-5. That was one I didnt adjust to .Also keep in mind their is 17 games this yr and Claypool only played when there was 16 games. If you take his average that would end up 66-926=10 for the 17 games. 

Only 3 are similar. If you go by where Pitt gets our 2nd round pick, none of the second round even come close to his numbers. 

Also other reasons for him to be here now. He is still only 24 yrs old, he can get valuable playing time with Fields going into next yr.  Next yr will be the true tale of this trade. Also  team production has increased since he has been here. Other teams consider him a threat, Mooney and Kmet have upped their numbers since he started playing. 

For your argument to be formable this yrs WRs would have to produce with the best of this last yrs draft.  Last yr 7 WRs had above a 8.0 rating ( bleacher report) in the draft. This yr there is only 3 . The top 3 of 2022 were London/8.8-Olave/8.7-Wilson/8.6. The top rated WR this yr is Quentin Johnson/ 8.3. Point is this class is not rated as high for WRs. The only thing that matters is Claypool productive next yr so if he does anything better than his rookie stats, it will have been successful. I'll go  out on the limb and say if we kept our second round pick, Poles probably wouldnt have drafted a WR their anyways. Quentin Johnston is the only high rated WR in this draft and he will be gone in the top 15. 

You got me on cost and more yrs for cheap service. 

So if we keep our 2nd round pick (34-38) that is what we should compare to. This yr (bleacher Report ratings) 4 are expected to go in the first round. Of the rest left over, none is rated higher than a 7.7. So if we picked one with that pick , it may take a couple yrs for him to reach his peak. With Claypool, he can already bonded to Fields and I guarantee his numbers would be better than 2 nd round WR we would take with the pick we gave up. Plus, we would have to assume that is what Poles would pick with that pick.( unknown)