Non-Bears news but relevant (Herbert signs 5yr $262M ext)

adam

Why is this relevant to the Bears? Herbert signed after his 3rd year, so the Chargers didn't take advantage of his 5th year option. After this year (his 4th), his salary will go from a $8.4M cap hit to approximately $29M in 2024. 

If the Bears were to consider the same plan for Fields, that would be next offseason, and his big salary would kick in a year earlier than expected. That scares me.

Also, I am surprised Herbert got that big of a deal. He was 18th in DVOA, 11th in QBR, and 12th in QB Rating. The only stat he was top 5 in was yards (which really don't matter unless you score). Even with 4739 yards, he still only had a 6.8 Y/A. If you took the name off and all I did was list those stats, I don't think that QB would get a contract that big. Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Technically we have Justin for 3 more years before we have to pay him 50 million a year.

Not if this is the new trend for rookie deal QBs. It would only be this year and next if Fields gets extended next offseason.