Totally Off Topic Cooper Kupp

adam

We were talking about Jared Goff, which led me to Cooper Kupp.

I don't think people talk enough about his 2021 season (or the fact that he has lived off of it ever since). He had 145 receptions, 1947 yards, and 16 TDs that year. That was basically 1000 yards more than his previous season where he had 974 yards.

That one season is such an outlier, it is crazy.  He has only had one other season over 1000 yards. He is also already 30 yrs old. 

So in 7 years, he has made one All-Pro Team and Pro Bowl, in 2021, that's it. 

2021 is also the year the Rams won the SB. They basically rode him all the way there. Then in the postseason he scored 7 TDs in 4 games and averaged 8 receptions, 120 yards and 1.5 TDs per game. Crazy. 

17 minutes ago, adam said:

We were talking about Jared Goff, which led me to Cooper Kupp.

I don't think people talk enough about his 2021 season (or the fact that he has lived off of it ever since). He had 145 receptions, 1947 yards, and 16 TDs that year. That was basically 1000 yards more than his previous season where he had 974 yards.

That one season is such an outlier, it is crazy.  He has only had one other season over 1000 yards. He is also already 30 yrs old. 

So in 7 years, he has made one All-Pro Team and Pro Bowl, in 2021, that's it. 

2021 is also the year the Rams won the SB. They basically rode him all the way there. Then in the postseason he scored 7 TDs in 4 games and averaged 8 receptions, 120 yards and 1.5 TDs per game. Crazy. 

it was great coaching. they had a limited QB, and didnt try to hide him, but instead they found ways to open him up. That's the exact opposite of what our coaching staff seems to do - they limit things to simplify for the QB, and that's never gonna be the path to greatness.

Ooooof. Sore subject. Many of us loved Kupp and wanted the Bears to draft him. Instead, the Bears mortgaged the future on a completely ignorant Trubisky trade. For the life of me I'll never understand how anyone thought trading up for Trubisky made any sense. A dude with one year's worth of good stats against ACC competition over a proven winner with two years of absolute domination over not just the ACC but also the college playoffs.

Without the trade the Bears could have had:

• Deshaun Watson
  • Cooper Kupp
  • And a fourth round pick without trading into the fourth multiple times

9 hours ago, jason said:

Ooooof. Sore subject. Many of us loved Kupp and wanted the Bears to draft him. Instead, the Bears mortgaged the future on a completely ignorant Trubisky trade. For the life of me I'll never understand how anyone thought trading up for Trubisky made any sense. A dude with one year's worth of good stats against ACC competition over a proven winner with two years of absolute domination over not just the ACC but also the college playoffs.

Without the trade the Bears could have had:

• Deshaun Watson
  • Cooper Kupp
  • And a fourth round pick without trading into the fourth multiple times

The trade up was such an insult to injury. Why swap one slot? Besides the Shaheen pick, the trade up for Trubisky is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen a Bears GM make. I wanted Watson and thought for sure that is who they were trading up for, then the announcer says Mitch Trubisky and I felt like the guy on the TV throwing his hands up.

3 hours ago, adam said:

The trade up was such an insult to injury. Why swap one slot? Besides the Shaheen pick, the trade up for Trubisky is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen a Bears GM make. I wanted Watson and thought for sure that is who they were trading up for, then the announcer says Mitch Trubisky and I felt like the guy on the TV throwing his hands up.

I was a fan of Trubisky, but thought the trade was idiotic when it happened.  My thought was always, plan B if plan A didn't work out.  I've never hated a GM more than Pace.  So embarrassing...

sometimes you have to let the players fall to you.

If we thought Trubisky was head and shoulders above the rest, then yeah, you trade up to get him. But if you think they are in the same category, you trade down and let one fall to you.

And in that equation you gotta include the fact that you're 50% likely to be wrong. So letting the last guy out of a leading pack fall to you is probably a better idea than trying to get the first choice of them.

And again, all that assuming you dont have a clearly superior grade on one player. But given the questions around Trubisky at the time, how could you?